Request for consultation
Completely updated to address the challenges faced by modern health care organizations, the sixth edition of SHORTELL AND KALUZNY'S HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT: ORGANIZATION DESIGN AND BEHAVIOR offers a more global perspective on how the United States and other countries address issues of health and health care. Written by internationally recognized and respected experts in the field, the new edition continues to bring a systemic understanding of organizational principles, practices, and insight to the management of health services organizations. Based on state-of-the-art organizational theory and research, the text emphasizes application and challenges you to provide a solution or a philosophical position. Coverage includes topics ranging from pay for performance and information technology to ethics and medical tourism and expands upon a major theme of the fifth edition: health care leaders must effectively design and manage health care organizations while simultaneously influencing and adapting to changes in environmental context.
- A new introductory chapter provides an overall perspective on the health care sector and the distinctive challenges facing health care organizations.
- Six new chapters focusing on: quality improvement, strategic thinking, health policy and regulation, health information technology, consumerism and ethics, and global health and health care management.
- Updated chapters covering organization, work design, and coordination; power and politics, conflict management, and negotiation; leadership and management; communication; and innovation and learning.
- Contained in each chapter is a brief case study, with questions designed to stimulate discussion among your students and encourage them to apply the concepts and principles they learn to practical managerial and organizational issues.
- Written by internationally recognized and respected experts in the field.
- "In Practice" feature presents a practical situation facing a health services organization which illustrates the major principles and lessons in the chapter.
- Contains "Debate Time" sections that pose a controversial issue or present divergent perspectives to stimulate your students' thinking.
- Includes excellent coverage of theory that is thorough, clear and evidence-based.
1. The Management Challenge of Delivering Value in Health Care: Global and U.S. Perspectives.
2. Leadership and Management: A Framework for Action.
PART II: MICRO PERSPECTIVES.
3. Organization Design and Coordination.
4. Motivating People.
5. Teams and Team Effectiveness in Health Services Organizations.
7. Power, Politics, and Conflict Management.
8. Complexity, Learning, and Innovation.
9. Improving Quality in Health Care Organizations.
PART III: MACRO PERSPECTIVES.
10. Strategic Thinking and Achieving Competitive Advantage.
11. Managing Strategic Alliances.
12. Health Policy and Regulation.
13. Health Information Systems and Strategy.
14. Consumerism and Ethics.
15. Globalization and Health: The World is Flattening.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Premium Web Site provides the following support materials: ELECTRONIC INSTRUCTOR'S MANUAL. The Instructor's Manual that accompanies this book includes an overview of the In Practice and Debate Time material from the text; suggested solutions to the end-of-chapter discussion questions and case studies; teaching tips and exercises; complimentary reading lists; suggested solutions to the Vignette material in the study guide; and an overview of additional Debate Time material from the study guide. ELECTRONIC STUDY GUIDE: The Study Guide includes Vignettes which present additional case study material followed by critical thinking questions; research assignments for the students to complete either in class or on their own to help them practice the skills they will need on the job; and additional Debate Time scenarios. POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS: This book comes with Microsoft PowerPoint slides for each chapter. They're included as a teaching aid for classroom presentation, to make available to students on the network for chapter review, or to be printed for classroom distribution. Instructors, please feel free to add your own slides for additional topics you introduce to the class. EXAMVIEW®: EXAMVIEW®, the ultimate tool for objective-based testing needs, is a powerful test generator that enables instructors to create paper, LAN, or Web-based tests from test banks designed specifically for their Cengage Course Technology text. Instructors can utilize the ultra-efficient QuickTest Wizard to create tests in less than five minutes by taking advantage of Cengage Course Technology's questions banks, or customize their own exams from scratch. Sample Course Syllabus.