Request for consultation
Now in its 9th Edition, RESEARCH METHODS provides psychology students with a scientific approach to understanding their field of study and the world in general. The text's logical, step-by-step coverage is the result of decades of author experience. It includes all of the stages of the research process, from selecting the project and searching for literature, to choosing a protocol and getting published. Utilizing a wide variety of problems from psychological literature, RESEARCH METHODS also illustrates the many creative ways that psychology professionals design and conduct effective research.
- The 9th edition has been updated to match the 2010 revision of the American Psychological Association's ETHICAL PRINCIPLES OF PSYCHOLOGISTS AND CODE OF CONDUCT and GUIDELINES FOR ETHICAL CONDUCT IN THE CARE AND USE OF NONHUMAN ANIMALS IN RESEARCH.
- Chapter 4 (Writing in Psychology) has been revised extensively, so as to comply with the sixth edition of the PUBLICATION MANUAL OF THE AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION. This update allows students to communicate effectively in the manner of professional psychologists.
- A new section has been added on data examination.
- Chapter 14 is now Data Exploration I: Graphic and Descriptive Techniques, and Chapter 15 is now Data Exploration II: Inferential Statistics. This change reflects the typical research process in which graphic examination of the data normally precedes the statistical evaluation of the data.
- Many new examples and existing concepts have been clarified.
- Updated examples include the latest technology, which gives students an idea of the cutting-edge research that is being conducted.
- "A Case in Point" case studies illustrate issues covered in the text and ask students to reach their own conclusions about them.
- Timely updates on computer- and technology-based discussions, including online submission of journal articles, the shift from hand-written to computer-generated graphs, and the citing of electronic information, help you to better relate to today's technology-savvy students.
- There are expanded discussions on construct validity, external validity, and statistical validity, as well as clarification of the differences between science and technology, laws and theories, dependent and independent variables, and other key topics.
- The text explores psychology's role as a hub discipline in science; the importance of peer review; bias and the changing face of surveys; ethics in animal testing and publishing; and more!
- APA Guidelines and commentary are highlighted throughout with clearly differentiated sections, including several marginal glossary terms.
- The research process is covered from start to finish with the text's meticulous attention to detail and a comprehensive discussion of each and every stage.
- Each chapter begins with a brief preview to set the stage for the more detailed material that follows.
- An ongoing margin glossary helps students grasp new terms and memorize key concepts.
2. Developing a Research Question.
3. Ethics in Research.
4. Writing in Psychology.
8. Nonexperimental Research, Part 1: Observational, Archival, and Case Study Research.
9. Nonexperimental Research, Part 2: Survey Research.
10. True Experiments, Part 1: Single-Factor Designs.
11. True Experiments, Part 2: Factorial Designs.
12. Single-Subject Experiments.
13. Quasi Experiments.
14. Data Exploration, Part 1: Graphic and Descriptive Techniques.
15. Data Exploration, Part 2: Inferential Statistics.
Epilogue: Biases and Limitations of Experimental Psychology.
Appendix A: Random-Number Table.
Appendix B: Population Data Set.
Appendix C: Suggested Answers to Reading Between the Lines.
Appendix D: Key for Identifying Appropriate Graphs and Statistics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Quickly create customized tests that can be delivered in print or online. ExamView's simple "what you see is what you get" interface allows you to easily generate tests of up to 250 items. (Contains all the Test Bank questions electronically.)
These Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides make it easy for you to incorporate images from the book into your lectures.