Request for consultation
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN AMERICA tackles the current and emerging trends, ethics, and challenges in public administration with the most comprehensive scholarship available. The Eleventh Edition gives you a behind the scenes look at day-to-day operations while examining the policies implemented and the procedures undertaken across the various levels of American government. The most current applications of public administration are discussed and analyzed, with up to date coverage of recent education initiatives such as Race to the Top, the ongoing health care debates, Homeland Security challenges and threats, and much more. To encourage student engagement, the Eleventh Edition introduces two new features, "Point/Counterpoint" and "What Would You Decide?," where students are invited to play an active role in debating and discussing some of the most up-to-date topics. Presented in a comprehensive and easy-to-understand format, PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN AMERICA builds student knowledge of core concepts while showing them the path to an exciting and fulfilling career in politics and public administration--where they can make a difference!
- Fully updated chapters, including coverage of recent intelligence reorganizations, Homeland Security, the 2010 elections, and the build-up to the 2012 national elections, keep students abreast of the ever-changing political environment and how the pace of change is creating turbulent times.
- Features and topics throughout the text have been streamlined and consolidated for easier comprehension across all chapters. The new "Point/Counterpoint" feature in every chapter presents students with a current event or policy and encourages discussion and debate of both sides of the topic. Also new to this edition, the "How Would You Decide?" feature in every chapter ties a film or media source to the specific chapter topic, encouraging students to apply what they have learned from the text to modern examples from their daily lives.
- Extensive coverage of politics since the 2008 national election and an in-depth discussion of President Obama's administration and policies implemented since taking office are included. References and conversations have been updated to provide a more current text.
- Sections on electronic government, competitive sourcing, no-bid contracting, fuel economy standards, the No Child Left Behind Act, the Race to the Top education initiative, and health care debate provide students with a deeper understanding of the role they can play at many levels in public administration and in different areas of government.
- Extensive and comprehensive coverage of the dynamics of American politics and public administration within the context of changing U.S. and global economies. Students are given a realistic and up-to-date picture of the American political and public administration systems.
- A variety of traditional topics--from citizen participation to leadership--and useful discussion questions encourage class participation.
Part I: THE CONTEXT, NATURE, AND STRUCTURE OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN AMERICA.
1. Approaching the Study of Public Administration.
2. Public Administration, Democracy, and Bureaucratic Power.
3. Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
Part II: MANAGING AND LEADING PUBLIC ORGANIZATIONS.
4. Organizational Theory.
5. Decision Making in Administration.
6. Chief Executives and Challenges of Administrative Leadership.
Part III: THE CORE FUNCTIONS OF PUBLIC MANAGEMENT.
7. Public Personnel Administration and Human Resource Development.
8. Government Budgeting.
9. Public Policy and Implementation.
PART IV: CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS IN A TURBULENT FUTURE: RESULTS, REGULATION, AND RESPONSIVENESS.
10. Performance Management in Government in the Public Sector.
11. Government Regulation and Administrative Law.
12. Conclusion: Public Administration in a Time of Conflict and Change.
Appendix: Professional Associations for Information and Job Opportunities and Public Administration Journals for Research.
"I like the comprehensive nature of the topics being addressed and the separation of the chapters into parts with broad themes . . . The most appealing parts . . . are the emphasis on change, leadership, and current events. That makes the book immediately relevant."
"The themes, challenges, and issues of contemporary public policy and administration pulls in the need for students and citizens to be as versed as possible on the impact of the decision-making in Washington, state capitols, and local units of government . . . The teaching methodology is one that you can give reference to an event and then relate it to what is currently happening."
"I have used the text . . . for over seventeen years. I love the text and will continues to use it."
"I appreciate a textbook that provides examples that are detailed, yet balanced."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
eBank Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
A revised Instructor's Manual and Test Bank offer chapter key points, suggestions for class discussions, writing assignments, and exam questions to make course preparation easier. A set of book-specific PowerPoint® lectures make it easy for you to assemble, edit, publish, and present custom lectures for your course. The slides provide outlines specific to every chapter of PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN AMERICA, 11E and include tables, statistical charts, graphs, and photos from the book as well as outside sources. In addition, the slides are completely customizable for a powerful and personalized presentation. The Instructor's Manual/Test Bank and PowerPoint® lectures have all been updated with new material to reflect changes in the new edition.