Request for consultation
Teach the fundamental principles of developing structured program logic with Farrell’s PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN: INTRODUCTORY, 9E. A popular choice for foundational programming, this proven text takes a unique, language-independent approach with a distinct emphasis on modern conventions. Noted for its clear writing, the book eliminates highly technical jargon while introducing universal programming concepts and ensuring strong programming and logical thinking. Frequent side notes and Quick Reference boxes clarify important programming concepts while chapter objectives, concise chapter summaries, and key terms guide learning. End-of-chapter practice provides multiple-choice review, programming and gaming exercises, debugging exercises, and maintenance exercises that challenge students to improve working logic.
- COVERAGE OF THE CASE STRUCTURE NOW APPEARS ALONGSIDE CLOSELY RELATED TOPICS FOR A MORE LOGICAL PROGRESSION. This edition’s thorough treatment of case structure has been moved from an appendix to the Making Decisions chapter (Ch. 4), which better reflects its close relationship to that topic.
- THIS EDITION CLARIFIES ITS DISCUSSION OF LOOPS. The author has carefully rewritten this edition’s presentation of loops to reduce any possible reader confusion and clearly explain the differences between selections and loops.
- STREAMLINED PRESENTATION RELOCATES "UP FOR DISCUSSION" QUESTIONS TO INSTRUCTOR’S MANUAL. These engaging discussion questions now appear in your Instructor’s manual to reduce the size of each chapter in the student text while still keeping these classroom tools at your fingertips.
- DISCUSSION OF THE "DO-WHILE" STRUCTURE NOW APPEARS IN THE LOOPING CHAPTER. Coverage of the "do-while" structure has been moved from an appendix to the Looping chapter (Ch. 5), reflecting its close relationship to that topic. This also provides opportunity for the author to clearly highlight the differences between a "do-while" and a "while" loop.
- UNIQUE LANGUAGE-INDEPENDENT APPROACH PROVIDES A SOLID FOUNDATION IN PROGRAMMING LOGIC. The author emphasizes modern concepts and programming conventions to build a solid foundation in structured programming logic. Your students develop an understanding of the tools needed for success, no matter which programming languages they eventually use.
- BUSINESS-BASED EXAMPLES CLEARLY ILLUSTRATE KEY POINTS. Everyday business examples that require no special mathematical knowledge beyond high school algebra clearly demonstrate and reinforce key points without overwhelming students with extraneous detail.
- WEALTH OF PROVEN PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES KEEPS STUDENTS ENGAGED AND ACTIVELY LEARNING. Students practice and review what they have learned with chapter-by-chapter Review Questions and intriguing Discussion Questions that are ideal for class debates or writing assignments. Programming Exercises include interesting gaming challenges, while Maintenance and Debugging Exercises improve students’ abilities to critically examine code statements. Popular "Two Truths and a Lie" quizzes provide immediate feedback on how well students understand what they’ve just read.
- MINDTAP® PROVIDES INTERACTIVE LEARNING, STUDY, AND EXAM PREPARATION TOOLS. MindTap® brings programming concepts to life with a wealth of learning resources and study aids, including an eBook with note-taking capabilities, coding labs, interactive quizzing, flashcards, and study games. At least three videos for each chapter, created by text author Joyce Farrell, expand upon key concepts.
2. Elements of High-Quality Programs.
3. Understanding Structure.
4. Making Decisions.
7. File Handling and Applications.
Appendix A: Understanding Numbering Systems and Computer Codes.
Appendix B: Solving Difficult Structuring Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.