Request for consultation
Make statistics relevant and practical for students in any discipline of engineering or science with PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS FOR ENGINEERING AND THE SCIENCES, 9th Edition. Always a market leader, this calculus-based text offers a comprehensive introduction to probability and statistics that emphasizes concepts, models, and methodology while also including underlying rationale, where appropriate. (Translation: this is not simply a cookbook!). Jay Devore, an award-winning professor and internationally recognized author and statistician, includes a plethora of authentic problem scenarios in examples and exercises, many of which utilize real data. Proven and accurate, PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS FOR ENGINEERING AND THE SCIENCES, 9th Edition, also includes output, graphics, and screen shots from various statistical software packages, giving students a solid perspective of statistics in action.
- Updated Hypothesis Testing: Hypothesis testing is now based exclusively on P-values; methodology based on rejection regions has been deleted. This better aligns the book with current statistical practice.
- Authentic Data: Multiple new examples and exercises based on real data or actual problems give students practice with statistics for the modern era.
- Practical Probability: Examples and exercises in Chapters 2 through 5 are now based on information from published sources, helping to link the concepts to contemporary issues and problems that engineers and scientists encounter in their work environment and in everyday life.
- Clearer Narratives: Polished for even better clarity, chapters focus on delivering a deep, intuitive understanding of the concepts, instead of the purely theoretical approach favored by other texts.
- Helpful Study Aids: Sample exams and a glossary of symbols and acronyms give students the experience and confidence they need to master concepts and ace exams.
- Key Focal Points: The author emphasizes the critical role that variation plays in statistics, including the nature of variation in the slope estimate in simple linear regression, and includes a detailed description of pooled t procedures for analysis.
- Sampling Simulations: "Simulation Experiments" in the text help students understand sampling distributions and the insights to gain from them, particularly when derivations are too complex to carry out.
- Computer Focus: An abundance of computer output from various statistical software packages supports student understanding of data analysis in the real world, while Java™ Applets specifically designed for this calculus-based text demonstrate statistics visually.
Populations, Samples, and Processes. Pictorial and Tabular Methods in Descriptive Statistics. Measures of Location. Measures of Variability.
Sample Spaces and Events. Axioms, Interpretations, and Properties of Probability.
Counting Techniques. Conditional Probability. Independence.
3. DISCRETE RANDOM VARIABLES AND PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTIONS.
Random Variables. Probability Distributions for Discrete Random Variables.
Expected Values. The Binomial Probability Distribution. Hypergeometric and Negative Binomial Distributions. The Poisson Probability Distribution.
4. CONTINUOUS RANDOM VARIABLES AND PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTIONS.
Probability Density Functions. Cumulative Distribution Functions and Expected Values. The Normal Distribution. The Exponential and Gamma Distributions. Other Continuous Distributions. Probability Plots.
5. JOINT PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTIONS AND RANDOM SAMPLES.
Jointly Distributed Random Variables. Expected Values, Covariance, and Correlation.
Statistics and Their Distributions. The Distribution of the Sample Mean. The Distribution of a Linear Combination.
6. POINT ESTIMATION.
Some General Concepts of Point Estimation. Methods of Point Estimation.
7. STATISTICAL INTERVALS BASED ON A SINGLE SAMPLE.
Basic Properties of Confidence Intervals. Large-Sample Confidence Intervals for a Population Mean and Proportion. Intervals Based on a Normal Population Distribution.
Confidence Intervals for the Variance and Standard Deviation of a Normal Population.
8. TESTS OF HYPOTHESIS BASED ON A SINGLE SAMPLE.
Hypotheses and Test Procedures. z Tests for Hypotheses About a Population Mean.
The One-Sample t Test. Tests Concerning a Population Proportion. Further Aspects of Hypothesis Testing.
9. INFERENCES BASED ON TWO SAMPLES.
z Tests and Confidence Intervals for a Difference between Two Population Means.
The Two-Sample t Test and Confidence Interval. Analysis of Paired Data. Inferences Concerning a Difference between Population Proportions. Inferences Concerning Two Population Variances.
10. THE ANALYSIS OF VARIANCE.
Single-Factor ANOVA. Multiple Comparisons in ANOVA. More on Single-Factor ANOVA.
11. MULTIFACTOR ANALYSIS OF VARIANCE.
Two-Factor ANOVA with Kij = 1. Two-Factor ANOVA with Kij > 1. Three-Factor ANOVA. 2p Factorial Experiments.
12. SIMPLE LINEAR REGRESSION AND CORRELATION.
The Simple Linear Regression Model. Estimating Model Parameters. Inferences About the Slope Parameter β1. Inferences Concerning µY•x* and the Prediction of Future Y Values. Correlation.
13. NONLINEAR AND MULTIPLE REGRESSION.
Assessing Model Adequacy. Regression with Transformed Variables. Polynomial Regression. Multiple Regression Analysis. Other Issues in Multiple Regression.
14. GOODNESS-OF-FIT TESTS AND CATEGORICAL DATA ANALYSIS.
Goodness-of-Fit Tests When Category Probabilities Are Completely Specified. Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Composite Hypotheses. Two-Way Contingency Tables
15. DISTRIBUTION-FREE PROCEDURES.
The Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test. The Wilcoxon Rank-Sum Test. Distribution-Free Confidence Intervals. Distribution-Free ANOVA.
16. QUALITY CONTROL METHODS.
General Comments on Control Charts. Control Charts for Process Location. Control Charts for Process Variation. Control Charts for Attributes. CUSUM Procedures.
"This text has a great number of examples and exercises that are of high quality. Students enjoy doing the real world problems. I believe this is the text's greatest strength."
"The strengths are the material coverage (i.e. topics covered) and the engineering focus. I would describe this text as a reliable classic."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Complete Solutions Manual with Instructor's Companion Web Site
This manual, found on the Instructor’s Companion Website, contains complete solutions to all exercises in the text, including Chapter Review Exercises and Chapter Tests.
Online Lecture Slides with Instructor's Web Site
Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides let you incorporate images from the book right into your lectures.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, classroom, or wherever you want. Go to login.cengage.com to access via your SSO account.
Student Solutions Manual
This manual provides worked-out, step-by-step solutions to the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and make sure they took the correct steps to arrive at them.
Student Solutions Manual
Go beyond the answers—see what it takes to get there and improve your grade! This manual provides worked-out, step-by-step solutions to the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving you a way to check your answers and make sure you took the correct steps to arrive at them.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.