Request for consultation
Introduce students to the essentials of cost accounting using the clear, concise, and practical approach in PRINCIPLES OF COST ACCOUNTING, 17E by VanDerbeck and Mitchell. The book's unique 10-chapter format provides a thorough understanding of cost concepts, cost behavior, and cost accounting techniques as applied to manufacturing and service businesses. Unlike other texts, PRINCIPLES OF COST ACCOUNTING, 17E ensures students master fundamentals before progressing to topics that are more complex. Students begin with job order costing and advance to process costing before delving into specialized topics, such as budgeting, standard costing and variance analysis, costing for service businesses, and cost analysis for management decisions. The book introduces concepts in small, manageable sections that are immediately reinforced with proven questions, demonstration problems, exercises, and self-study quizzes. There are also updated examples and current data keep content relevant to today's times. Students learn how to determine the costs of products and services and set selling prices. Students also discover how to bid on products and analyze the relative profitability of products and services. In addition, the book teaches how to measure the performance of managers, design an accounting system, and use accounting to further organizational goals. Count on PRINCIPLES OF COST ACCOUNTING, 17E and corresponding CengageNOW online tools for the most logical, relevant approach to your cost accounting course.
- Revised Recall and Review Boxes Are Easier Than Ever To Use. These popular, convenient feature boxes are now easily identified by topic. A new icon quickly guides readers from in-text examples to corresponding exercises or problems at the end-of-chapter for additional practice or review.
- New Author Provides Fresh Perspective and Practical Narrative To This Edition. Author Maria Mitchell applies her extensive teaching experience and industry knowledge to the explanations and content of this edition to ensure new perspectives and improved clarity.
- Additional Key Terms Better Prepare Students for Job Success. Key terms added to several of the chapters help clarify the correct use of accounting industry vocabulary.
- New Business Currents Features Keep Information Up To Date And Relevant. Business Currents features throughout all chapters are new and improved with updated facts and today's most current company references and challenges.
- Fresh Examples and Contemporary Data Keep Chapter Content Applicable and Significant. Fresh company names, the latest financial data, and recent dates emphasize the real life applications of concepts throughout all chapters.
- Focus On Service Businesses Emphasizes Practical Application. This book highlights today's service businesses (Ch. 9) to demonstrate how these businesses apply cost accounting. This emphasis reflects the shift in the current U.S. economy from manufacturing to service industries.
- Coverage of The Latest Methods Highlights ABC and JIT. The authors integrate newer costing methods, addressing topics such as ABC and JIT where appropriate throughout the text, to ensure students are familiar with the most recent costing techniques and methods.
- Features and Mini-Cases Emphasize the Practical Application of Concepts. Business Currents features highlight the practical applications of cost accounting in today's business world. Students clearly see how cost accounting concepts from the chapter are practiced in business. An end-of-chapter mini-case reinforces the concepts and concludes the situation presented in the chapter introduction.
- Online Homework Problems Reinforce Concepts and Applications. Now you can easily assign your students engaging homework with meaningful practice using the popular CengageNOW. Recall and Review Problems Reinforce Concepts From The Text. Concepts are presented one at a time within manageable sections of text. Easy references link end-of chapter exercises to the Recall and Review problems within the chapter so readers can easily find the in-text examples to complete homework assignments. These features effectively draw attention to key topics to reinforce what the student is learning.
- Concise 10-Chapter Format Offers Thorough Coverage. The brief, yet complete ten-chapter format is unique to this text. The length is ideal for shorter courses, while still thoroughly covering the cost accounting topics students need today.
- Comprehensive End-Of-Chapter Materials Vary In Difficulty And Subjects For Your Flexibility. Verified and up-to-date end-of-chapter materials address a wide variety of topics in varying degrees of difficulty for the flexibility you need in assignments. Students gain the critical review they need with key terms and corresponding page reference numbers, self-study problems, study questions, exercises, problems, mini-cases, and Internet exercises.
2. Accounting for Materials.
3. Accounting for Labor.
4. Accounting for Factory Overhead.
5. Process Cost Accounting--General Procedures.
6. Process Cost Accounting--Additional Procedures; Accounting for Joint Products and By-Products.
7. The Master Budget and Flexible Budgeting.
8. Standard Cost Accounting--Materials, Labor, and Factory Overhead.
9. Cost Accounting for Service Businesses and the Balanced Scorecard.
10. Cost Analysis for Management Decision Making.
"My students love CengageNOW. I have received feedback from students stating that they love the fact that they get immediate feedback using CengageNOW and can work through problems multiple times which helps them to understand the concepts associated with the problems."
"The reading level is excellent, and the book is easy for students to navigate. Also, the comprehensive problem in Chapter 4 is an excellent learning tool!"
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Keep cost accounting real and relevant for your students with immediate access to a rich array of teaching and learning resources at this book's companion website. Students benefit from helpful study resources, including chapter-by-chapter online quizzes, a final exam, crossword puzzles, flashcards, Excel® templates and Internet exercises. Instructor resources are available on the password protected portion of the website and include instant access to Excel® template solutions, end-of-chapter Solutions Manual, Instructor PowerPoint® slides and links to the Test Bank.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Vanderbeck/Mitchell's Principles of Cost Accounting
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. You can create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want!