Request for consultation
Often imitated but never duplicated, PRINCIPLES AND LABS FOR FITNESS AND WELLNESS, challenges students to meet their personal fitness and wellness goals -- and perhaps teach others how to do the same. The 14th Edition emphasizes the importance of a fitness and wellness lifestyle. It includes behavior modification techniques through sensible approaches and provides a strong focus on the practical ways students can incorporate changes into their daily lives. Themes of personal values helps students make positive, permanent changes. Physical adaptations that occur with an active lifestyle are described in friendly language with ample visuals, and there are also numerous supporting features such as “FAQs,” "Personal Profiles," and "Behavior Modification Planning," all designed to highlight important practices. By the end of the course, students will feel proficient in creating a personal exercise program, making nutrition choices, and crafting an active lifestyle.
- This edition has been visually recharged with a new, modern and stimulating layout. New visually compelling figures include Figure 1.4 on the leading causes of death by age; Figure 1.8 on choosing an active lifestyle; and Figure 9.7, a quick-reference flow chart that summarizes recommendations from chapters on cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility training, in a two-page spread.
- All chapters have been rethought and reorganized with new headings and enhanced introductory text. In particular, chapter 9 has been entirely reworked to act as a capstone to the chapters on cardio, strength, and flexibility, giving students complete confidence to write their own exercise programs.
- The Hoeger focus on personal values is incorporated throughout the text, helping students create permanent lifestyle changes to fit their needs and priorities. For example, the new Lab 9A helps students consider their values when choosing mode and volume of exercise and daily physical activity.
- Each chapter's contents have been extensively revised and updated according to recent advances and recommendations in the field, including information reported in the academic literature and at professional health, fitness, and sports medicine conferences.
- Active Learning: Choose from the largest variety of labs available in a fitness text, each complete with activities suitable for the classroom or homework. Students can tear out the perforated pages or complete online using MindTap® interactive software.
- Healthy Habits: All Hoeger fitness and wellness texts include “Behavior Modification Planning,” which delivers practical tips on how to replace existing habits with those that boost fitness and wellness.
- Inspiring Accounts: "Real Life Stories" in each chapter demonstrates the many strategies students followed on the road to making positive health changes, as well as the hurdles they cleared along the way.
- Topical FAQs: Starting out each chapter, "Frequently Asked Questions" targets popular discussions on fitness and introduces students to the readings that follow.
- Practical Problems: "Critical Thinking" asks students to apply wellness concepts to issues they will face in life or on the job and helps them develop realistic solutions.
- Key to Wellness: New “Key to Wellness” boxes have been added as a continuous chapter feature to highlight key concepts for students.
2. Behavior Modification.
3. Nutrition for Wellness.
4. Body Composition.
5. Weight Management.
6. Cardiorespiratory Endurance.
7. Muscular Fitness: Strength and Endurance.
8. Muscular Flexibility.
9. Fitness Programming and Skill Fitness.
10. Stress Assessment and Management Techniques.
11. Preventing Cardiovascular Disease.
12. Cancer Prevention.
13. Addictive Behavior.
14. Preventing Sexually Transmitted Infections.
15. Lifetime Fitness and Wellness.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.