Request for consultation
Sharing a thoughtful collection of important primary source documents essential to world history, PRIMARY SOURCE READER FOR WORLD HISTORY is an affordable supplement for students and a valuable complement to any world history or world civilization class. More than 50 percent of the primary source documents that comprise this new two-volume reader are non-Western so as to give students a broad perspective on the history of the world. The primary source readings are divided by eras and organized according to principal themes such as religion, law and government, and everyday life. Each group of readings has a section describing the significance of subsequent readings and how those readings interrelate. Individual readings include a head note and various study questions intended to guide student reading and understanding. Brief and inexpensive, this reader is available to package with any of our world history texts. VOLUME I and VOLUME II can be packaged both together and separately.
Chapter 1. Religion and Philosophy�2000 BCE�500 CE.
1. "The Beginning of Life" (Aborigine)�ND.
2. "A View of Creation from the Boshongo" (Bantu)�ND.
3. "The Woman Who Fell from the Sky" (Huron)�ND.
4. "The Book of Genesis"�ca. 1000 BCE.
5. "The Story of Pan Gu" (Chinese)�ND.
6. "Creation Story" (Miao)�ND.
7. "Creation Hymn" from the Rig Veda (Indo-European)�1500 BCE.
8. "The Creation of the World" (India)�7th century BCE.
9. "Hesiod''s Theogony" (Greek)�1st century BCE.
Chapter 2. The Great Religions Develop.
10. "The Flood," from the Epic of Gilgamesh�ca. 2000 BCE.
11. "The Flood," from Genesis�1st century BCE.
12. "The Great Flood," from Ovid''s Metamorphosis�1st century CE.
13. "Hymn to the Nile"�ca. 2500 BCE.
14. "Hymn to the Sun"�ca. 1340 BCE.
15. The Book of the Dead (Egypt)�ca. 1600 BCE.
16. "Chandogya Upanishad"�3rd century BCE.
17. Benares Sermon of Buddha�6th century BCE.
18. The Tibetan Book of the Dead�8th century CE.
19. Sayings from the Book of Dao by Lao Tsu�5th century BCE.
20. Sayings of Confucius�6th century BCE.
21. Mencius�4th century BCE.
22. "A Legalist View of Life"�3rd century BCE.
23. The Ten Commandments�ca. 1000 BCE.
24. Sermon on the Mount�ca. 27 CE.
25. Edict of Milan�313 CE.
26. "The Joys of Asceticism" by Saint Jerome�4th century CE.
Chapter 3. Law, Government, and War�2000 BCE�500 CE.
27. Code of Hammurabi�1792�1750 BCE.
28. The Twelve Tables�451�450 BCE .
29. The Rock and Pillar Edicts of Asoka�ca. 300�232 BCE.
30. The Laws of Manu�ca. 4th century CE.
31. The Fall of Jericho�ca. 1000 BCE .
32. The Ramayana�ca. 400 BCE.
33. The Illiad�ca. 8th century.
34. The Art of War by Sun-tzu�c. 5th century BCE.
Chapter 4. Science, Medicine, and Technology�2000 BCE�500 CE.
35. Egyptian Book of Surgery�ca. 1700 BCE .
36. Egyptian Magic and Medicine�ca. 1500 BCE.
37. "Yin and Yang in Medical Theory" (China)�3rd century BCE.
38. The Hippocratic Oath (Greece)�ca. 5th century BCE.
39. "Herodotus on Mummification," from The Histories�5th century BCE.
40�42. "Archimedes Use of a Burning Glass at the Siege of Syracuse" from the .
Universal History by Polybius�3rd century BCE.
40. "The Technology of War".
41. The Book of Histories (CHILIADES) .
42. "Epitome ton Istorion.
43. Pliny''s Natural History�1st century CE.
44. "Water Regulation in Ancient Mesopotamia," from the Code of Hammurabi�1750 BCE.
45. "Water Regulation in Rome" by Vitruvius�1st century BCE.
Chapter 5. Daily Life in the Ancient World.
46. The Chinese Agricultural Calendar�6th century BCE.
47. On Agriculture by Cato�2nd century BCE.
48. Lessons for Women by Pan Chao�1st�2nd century CE.
49. Songs Composed by Buddhist Nuns�ca. 1st century BCE.
50. "Spartan Life" by Lycurgus�8th century BCE.
51. Periclean Athens�5th century BCE.
52. Aristotle on Economics�4th century BCE.
53. Tacitus on Germania�1st century CE.
54. Savatri and the God of Death, from the Mahabharata�300�400 CE.
Chapter 6. Arts and Culture.
55. Seneca on Gladiatorial Contests�1st century CE.
56. "An Aristocratic View of Roman Society," from Lives by Plutarch�1st century CE.
57. "On the City of Rome," from the Third Satire by Juvenal�2nd century CE.
58. Ars Amatoria, or The Art of Love by Ovid�1st century CE.
59�60. Two Chinese Poems�ca. 1st century BCE.
61�62. Two Hindu Tales�ca. 1st century CE.
Part II. THE DEVELOPMENT OF TRADITIONAL SOCIETIES IN THE EAST AND WEST, 500 TO 1500 CE.
Chapter 7. Religion and Philosophy�500�1500 CE.
63. The Benedictine Rule�535�540 CE .
64. The Qu''ran�7th century CE.
65. The Hadith�ca. 8th�10th century.
66. Deliverance from Error by al Ghazzali�1058�1111 CE.
67. "Christianity Meets Aristotle," from The Summa Theologica by Thomas Aquinas�1223-1274 CE.
68. "A Woman''s Faith," from Letters by Catherine of Siena�14th century CE.
Chapter 8. Law, Government, and War�500�1500 CE.
69. Justinian''s Code�529�565 CE .
70. The Seventeen Article Constitution by Prince Shotoku�604 CE .
71. "Instructions to the Subjects of Charlemagne''s Empire"�ca. 800 CE .
72. Ordinance of Government by Al Mawardi�11th century CE.
73. Speech at the Council of Clermont Proclaiming the First Crusade Against the Muslims�1095 CE.
74. "Crusader''s Motives" by Ekkehard of Aurach (First Crusade)�11th century CE.
75. "Impressions of the Franks" by Usama ibn Munquidh.
76. The Magna Carta�1215 CE.
77. Address of Sultan Mehmed before the Battle of Constantinople�1453 CE.
Chapter 9. Science, Medicine, and Technology�500�1500 CE.
78. "The Impact of Muslim Science," from the Preface to Natural Questions by Adelard of Bath�ca. 1137 CE.
79. Ethical Conduct by Moses Maimonides�ca. 1190 CE.
80. "The Black Death," or "The Plague," from The Decameron by Giovanni Bocaccio�14th century CE.
81. "A Wholesome Medicine Against All Infirmities"�ca. 14th�15th century CE.
82. Leonardo da Vinci in Search of A Job�1482 CE.
Chapter 10. Daily Life in the Medieval World�500�1500 CE.
83. Chinese Impression of India�7th century CE.
84. "Account of the Rus" by Ibn Fadlan�913 CE.
85. "The Dialogue Between Master and Disciple: On Laborers"�ca. 1000 CE.
86. A Buddhist Commentary, "On the Salvation of Women"�ND.
87. From Precepts for a Social Life by Yuan Ts''ai�1178 CE.
88. Marco Polo in China�ca. 1270 CE.
89. The Decretum: "Not in God''s Image" by Gratian�1140 CE.
90. The Book of Nurture: "A Guide for a Youth Serving a Nobleman"�1260 CE.
91. Sorbonne''s Regulations for his College�13th century CE.
92. The Goodman of Paris: "Instructions on Being a Good Wife�late 14th century CE.
93. "Travels in Africa" by Ibn Battuta�1304�1369 CE.
94. Tale of a Chinese Weaver�1400 CE.
Chapter 11. Arts and Culture�500�1500 CE.
95. Stories from The Panchatantra�6th century CE.
96. "Watching the Wheat Reapers" and Other Poems About Peasant Life from the Tang Dynasty�618�907 CE.
97. From The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon�10th century CE.
98. The Rubáiyát by Omar Khayym�11th century CE.
99. "As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams"�11th century CE.
100. From De Arte Honeste Amandi by Andreas Capellanus�ca. 1174�1186 CE.
101. Piers the Plowman by William Langland�1370 CE.
102. Excerpt from The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer�14th century CE.