Request for consultation
Larson's PRECALCULUS WITH LIMITS is known for delivering the same sound explanations and exercises as the market-leading PRECALCULUS, with a laser focus on preparation for calculus. LIMITS includes a brief algebra review of core topics, coverage of analytic geometry in three dimensions and an introduction to concepts covered in calculus. In the Fourth Edition, the authors incorporate more real-world applications, ongoing review, and innovative technology. This new edition is now supported by WebAssign, the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning math.
- Stepped-out solution videos with instruction are available at CalcView.com for selected exercises throughout the text. The selected textbook exercises will have a QR code next to the exercise number for easy access via a smart phone.
- Enhanced Exercise Sets deliver more rigor, relevancy, and coverage than ever before and feature multi-step, real-life exercises to reinforce problem-solving skills and mastery of concepts.
- How Do You See It? exercises in every section present real-life problems that students solve by visual inspection using the concepts in the lesson.
- Side-By-Side Examples help students see not only that a problem can be solved in more than one way but also how different methods--algebraic, graphical, and numerical--yield the same result. The side-by-side format also addresses many different learning styles.
- Larson's PRECALCULUS WITH LIMITS is ideal for a two-term course.
- ENHANCED WEBASSIGN: PRECALCULUS WITH LIMITS, Fourth Edition, is fully supported by Enhanced WebAssign (EWA), the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. EWA includes new end-of-chapter exercises, animated simulations, and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- The Student Companion Website features chapter projects, data tables, assessments, study tools, video solutions, and more to support students outside the text.
- Up-to-the-minute homework support through CalcChat.com, an independent website, provides students with free, up-to-the-minute homework support, including solutions to all odd-numbered problems in the text.
- Algebra Helps features direct students to sections of the textbook where they can review algebra skills needed to master the current topic.
- Technology features offer suggestions for effectively using tools such as calculators, graphing calculators, and spreadsheet programs to deepen student understanding of concepts, ease lengthy calculations, and provide alternate solution methods for verifying answers obtained by hand.
- Algebra of Calculus examples and exercises throughout the text emphasize various algebraic techniques used in calculus.
- Original Checkpoint Problems encourage immediate practice and check students' understanding of the concepts in the paired example.
Rectangular Coordinates. Graphs of Equations. Linear Equations in Two Variables. Functions. Analyzing Graphs of Functions. A Library of Parent Functions. Transformations of Functions. Combinations of Functions: Composite Functions. Inverse Functions. Mathematical Modeling and Variation. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
2. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Quadratic Functions and Models. Polynomial Functions of Higher Degree. Polynomial and Synthetic Division. Complex Numbers. Zeros of Polynomial Functions. Rational Functions. Nonlinear Inequalities. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
3. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions and Their Graphs. Logarithmic Functions and Their Graphs. Properties of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Exponential and Logarithmic Models. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Cumulative Test for Chapters 1-3. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
Radian and Degree Measure. Trigonometric Functions: The Unit Circle. Right Triangle Trigonometry. Trigonometric Functions of Any Angle. Graphs of Sine and Cosine Functions. Graphs of Other Trigonometric Functions. Inverse Trigonometric Functions. Applications and Models. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
5. ANALYTIC TRIGONOMETRY.
Using Fundamental Identities. Verifying Trigonometric Identities. Solving Trigonometric Equations. Sum and Difference Formulas. Multiple-Angle and Product-to-Sum Formulas. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
6. ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN TRIGONOMETRY.
Law of Sines. Law of Cosines. Vectors in the Plane. Vectors and Dot Products. The Complex Plane. Trigonometric Form of a Complex Number. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Cumulative Test for Chapters 4-6. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
7. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Linear and Nonlinear Systems of Equations. Two-Variable Linear Systems. Multivariable Linear Systems. Partial Fractions. Systems of Inequalities. Linear Programming. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
8. MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS.
Matrices and Systems of Equations. Operations with Matrices. The Inverse of a Square Matrix. The Determinant of a Square Matrix. Applications of Matrices and Determinants. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
9. SEQUENCES, SERIES, AND PROBABILITY.
Sequences and Series. Arithmetic Sequences and Partial Sums. Geometric Sequences and Series. Mathematical Induction. The Binomial Theorem. Counting Principles. Probability. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Cumulative Test for Chapters 7-9. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
10. TOPICS IN ANALYTIC GEOMETRY.
Lines. Introduction to Conics: Parabolas. Ellipses. Hyperbolas. Rotation of Conics. Parametric Equations. Polar Coordinates. Graphs of Polar Equations. Polar Equations of Conics. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
11. ANALYTIC GEOMETRY IN THREE DIMENSIONS.
The Three-Dimensional Coordinate System. Vectors in Space. The Cross Product of Two Vectors. Lines and Planes in Space. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
12. LIMITS AND AN INTRODUCTION TO CALCULUS.
Introduction to Limits. Techniques for Evaluating Limits. The Tangent Line Problem. Limits at Infinity and Limits of Sequences. The Area Problem. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Cumulative Test for Chapters. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
13. CONCEPTS IN STATISTICS.
Representing Data. Analyzing Data. Modeling Data. Chapter Summary. Review Exercises. Chapter Test. Cumulative Test for Chapters. Proofs in Mathematics. P.S. Problem Solving.
Review of Fundamental Concepts of Algebra.
A.1. Real Numbers and Their Properties.
A.2. Exponents and Radicals.
A.3. Polynomials and Factoring.
A.4. Rational Expressions.
A.5. Solving Equations.
A.6. Linear Inequalities in One Variable.
A.7. Errors and the Algebra of Calculus.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank
Simplify testing and assessment using this printed selection of questions.
Complete Solutions Manual
This time-saving manual provides complete solutions to all the exercises from the text, including Chapter Review Exercises and Chapter Tests.
Instructor's Website with PowerPoint®, Image Library Slides
Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides and image library for the entire book, posted on the Instructor Companion Website, let you incorporate images from the book right into your lectures.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Student Study Guide and Solutions Manual
This guide offers step-by-step solutions for all odd-numbered text exercises, Chapter and Cumulative Tests, and Practice Tests with solutions, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Note Taking Guide
This is an innovative study aid, in the form of a notebook organizer which helps students develop a section-by-section summary of key concepts.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.