Request for consultation
PRACTICAL MATH APPLICATIONS, 3E offers users math skills needed for business and personal applications. The text begins with a comprehensive review of the basic math functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) and progresses to fractions and decimals. Once the students have mastered the basics, they are introduced to practical applications that develop critical thinking skills. These applications include bank records, purchasing and pricing merchandise, payroll, taxes, insurance, consumer credit, and interest (simple and compound). This easy-to-follow, step-by-step approach allows students to work at their own pace. Numerous self-help tips, practice activities, and self-assessments are provided so that each student feels competent in their newly acquired skill before moving on to the next.
- NEW, exciting 4-color design makes it easy to follow instructions.
- NNEW Four-step plan (clues, action plan, solve, conclusion) teaches students a process to solve word problems.
- NEW Math @ Work profiles an employee in a popular industry such as business or culinary arts and shows how math is used on a daily basis.
- NEW Apply Math @ Work provides activities related to the career profiled in Math @ Work.
- NEW Write About Math provides opportunities for students to write about math concepts.
- NEW Crunch the Numbers includes activities design for handheld and online calculators.
- NEW Personal Finance feature addresses common consumer issues and helps students understand the math.
- NEW HOMEWORK SOLUTION FOCUSES ON CONCEPT MASTERY AND SAVES TIME WITH AUTOMATIC HOMEWORK GRADING. The new PRACTICAL MATH APPLICATIONS CNOW™, works to provide easy-to-use homework solution tools that save you time and help your students focus on what they need to learn to improve student outcomes. CengageNOW connects your students to assignable, key content, while providing you with automatic homework grades and an interactive eBook.
- A Student CD, included with the book, contains the Excel files to be used in the practices and end-of-section and end-of-chapter exercises. The files provide a framework for solving many of the learning exercises within the text.
- Math and Workplace Skills Project, located at the end of each chapter, bridges the gap between the classroom and the workplace. These projects offer an opportunity to develop soft skills (as outlined in the SCANS report) with math-related activities.
- Abundant Exercises allow each chapter to end with different types of questions, exercises, and problems to help fully explain all chapter themes and concepts.
- Math and Surfing the Net, included within each chapter, is an Internet feature to enrich learning with real-world applications. Users are asked to report on math-related topics researched on the Internet.
4. Bank Services.
8. Purchasing Merchandise.
9. Markup and Markdown.
11. Consumer Credit and Mortgages.
12. Metrics and Currency.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CengageNOW Instant Access
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Find all the resources you need with this all-in-one resource. This convenient IRCD includes ExamView® Testing Software that allows you to easily create your own custom exams by selecting questions, editing existing questions, or adding new questions. You'll also find PowerPoint® resource slides to supplement text information as well as activities to reinforce key concepts, and solutions to end-of-chapter activities. The CD also provides an Instructor's Manual that organizes each chapter by learning objectives and includes teaching suggestions and answers to end-of-chapter activities.
Annotated Instructor's Edition
The Annotated Instructor's Edition contains answers to all in-text exercises.
CengageNOW Instant Access
Succeed in your business mathematics course with CengageNOW, a powerful online homework tool that optimizes your learning experience. This interactive system generates a diagnostic Personalized Study Plan (with a chapter-specific Pre-test, Study Plan, and Post-test) to help you master concepts, prepare for exams, and get a better grade