Request for consultation
POLICE CRIME CONTROL STRATEGIES is a practical, realistic, one-of-a-kind book that provides readers with a balanced assessment of approaches to police crime reduction. Written by an expert in the field of law enforcement, this book covers the strengths and weaknesses of a variety of approaches including crime-specific, community-oriented, problem-oriented, hot spot targeting, concentrated patrol deployment, broken windows enforcement, and intelligence-guided. Opening chapters trace the accumulating evidence for the substantial impact upon crime that focused police efforts can have. Community and problem-oriented programs are reviewed in the context of their employment for crime reduction. State-of-the-art strategies are organized by three targeting foci: geographic, offense, and offender. The role of investigative units in proactive crime reduction is critically assessed and Compstat as a framework receives special attention. Also discussed are crime strategy meetings, and staffing and deployment for crime control. Care is taken to review both the successes and failures of structured efforts both in suburban environments and major cities so that readers are provided with an unbiased overview of policing in the real world.
- This book presents an unbiased review of multiple approaches to police crime reduction so that students gain a solid understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.
- The development of science in policing is covered chronologically in the opening chapters in order to provide students with a framework for the material they will encounter later in the book. For example, coverage includes O.W. Wilson's "Police Administration," the turbulent '60s, and today's emphasis upon deployment guided by GIS analysis.
- Crime interdiction initiatives are organized into a typology-- geographic concentration, offense targeting, and offender oriented -- in order to provide students with meaningful and contrasting perspectives.
- This innovative book includes two complete chapters on the evolving role of Compstat, from its origins in New York to today's widespread adaptations. Two additional chapters review first allocation and then deployment for crime control.
- Students are given multiple opportunities to practice and review the material through Review Questions, Real World Scenario exercises, Application Activities, learning objectives, and key term definitions.
- A robust supplement package includes a PowerLecture™ DVD for instructors and WebTutor Advantage Plus for Blackboard. Criminal Justice CourseMate with Engagement Tracker is available for Police Crime Control Strategies.
2. The Police Effect on Crime.
3. The Role of Community Policing.
4. Focusing Community- and Problem-Oriented Approaches on Crime Reduction.
5. A Typology of Crime Reduction Strategies.
6. Geographic Targeting Strategies.
7. Offense Targeting Strategies.
8. Offender Targeting Strategies.
9. Compstat and Crime Control.
10. Conducting Crime Strategy Meetings.
11. The Resurrection of Sherlock Holmes.
12. Staffing for Crime Control.
13. Deployment for Crime Control.
14. Limitations on the Police Role.
15. Evaluating Strategic Impact.
"Excellent text on contemporary crime reduction experiments based on concentrating prevention efforts within identified crime hot spots."
"I have used a myriad of books in [a "Current Police Policies"] class…from community policing, problem oriented policing, policing for homeland security, compstat books, etc. Having a one volume book that covers each of these policing strategies would streamline the number of books I use in the class."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
PowerLecture™ with ExamView® to accompany Police Crime Control Strategies includes the Instructor's Manual, ExamView® computerized test bank, PowerPoint® lecture slides, and more.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Criminal Justice CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Criminal Justice CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.