Request for consultation
Now in its eighth edition, PHARMACOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF NURSING CARE is a trusted resource for understanding the drugs utilized most frequently in patient care settings. Following a thorough introduction to drugs and their therapies, the book moves through the major drug classifications according to clinical use or the body systems they treat, integrating specific nursing practices and protocols along the way. Known for an easy-to-read writing style, logical organization, and advanced critical thinking features, the eighth edition of PHARMACOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF NURSING CARE also includes helpful StudyWARE™online, and coordinates with an expanded supplement package loaded with robust tools and technology designed to enhance student learning and streamline course management.
- Updated and Revised Chapters: new research on cancer treatment drugs; condensed material on agents used in eye and ear disorders; expanded discussions on treatments for A.D.H.D., Alzheimer's Disease, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia; updated terms and drug classifications; and much more!
- All-New Features: In addition to new Evidence-Based Practice boxes, chapter references, and suggested readings in every chapter, the book includes dozens of new photos and color illustrations, and easy-to-understand drug tables to replace in-text discussions where appropriate.
- Detailed Appendices: New appendices present important regulatory and supplemental information for nurses, including Pharmacologic Classifications, Immunization Schedules, the I.S.M.P.'s Lists of High-Alert Medications and Error-Prone Abbreviations, and The Joint Commission's Official 'Do Not Use' List.
- Critical Drug Interactions: Added to all tables, planning and goals sections, and end-of-chapter review questions; thorough discussions of drug interactions and adverse effects keep readers abreast of problems that can arise with drug therapies.
- Expanded Technology Supplements: In addition to the StudyWARE™ offered online, the available supplement package boasts powerful teaching and learning tools like Instructor Resources, WebTUTOR™ Advantage PLUS, premium website, and CourseMate.
- Enhanced Self-Test Features: Many extra features help students master the material efficiently, such as critical thinking exercises and case studies, end-of-chapter NCLEX-style questions, student StudyWARE™, an audio glossary, and more!
- Specific Processes and Protocols: Integrated throughout the readings, nursing protocols and nursing care plans help deliver a more thorough understanding of drugs and their actions within the context of nursing care.
- Ideal Nursing Focus: Written by a nurse with decades of experience in several clinical areas, this book discusses practical drug uses and applications in patient care.
- Unique Body-Systems Approach: Organized by major drug classifications, the second half of the book progresses logically through drug agents and their actions, identifying them by clinical use or the body systems they affect.
- Helpful Anatomy and Physiology: Every chapter includes discussions of relevant anatomy and physiology in order to clarify the material for readers.
1. Drugs/Agents and Factors Affecting their Action.
2. Principles and Methods of Drug Administration.
3. Intravenous Drug Therapy.
4. Calculating Medication Dosages.
5. Drug Therapy for Pediatric Clients.
6. Drug Therapy for Older Adults.
Section II: AGENTS THAT INTERFERE WITH MICROBIAL GROWTH.
7. Antibacterial Agents and Antiviral Agents.
8. Antifungal Agents and Antiparasitic Agents.
9. Antiseptics and Disinfectants.
SECTION III: AGENTS USED TO CONTROL PAIN AND INFLAMMATION.
10. Analgesics and Antipyretics.
12. Anti-inflammatory Agents.
13. Agent Used to Treat Hyperuricemia and Gout.
Section IV: AGENTS USED TO TREAT RESPIRATORY HEALTH ALTERATIONS.
14. Antihistamines, Decongestants, Expectorants, and Antitussives.
15. Bronchodilators and Other Respiratory Agents.
Section V: AGENTS USED TO TREAT CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH ALTERATIONS.
16. Antiarrhythmic Agents/Cardiac Stimulants and Depressants.
17. Agents that Dilate Blood Vessels.
18. Diuretics and Antihypertensives.
19. Agents Used to Treat Hyperlipidemia.
20. Agents Affecting Blood Clotting.
Section VI: AGENTS USED TO TREAT NUTRITION ALTERATIONS.
21. Agents Used to Treat Anemias.
22. Vitamins, Minerals, and Other Nutritional Agents.
Section VII: AGENTS USED TO TREAT GASTROINTESTINAL HEALTH ALTERATIONS.
23. Agents Used to Treat Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Hyperacidity.
24. Antiemetics and Emetics.
25. Laxatives and Antidiarrheals.
Section VIII: AGENTS USED TO TREAT NEUROLOGICAL HEALTH ALTERATIONS.
26. Central Nervous System Sedatives and Hypnotics.
27. Anxiolytics and Other Agents Used to Treat Psychiatric Health Alterations.
28. C.N.S. Stimulants, Agents Used to Treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and Agents Used to Treat Alzheimer''s Disease.
29. Agents Used to Treat Musculoskeletal Health Alterations.
30. Agents Used to Treat Parkinson ''s Disease.
31. Agents Used to Treat Seizures.
32. Substance Abuse.
33. Agents Affecting the Autonomic Nervous System.
Section IX: AGENTS USED TO TREAT ENDOCRINE HEALTH ALTERATIONS.
34. Agents Affecting Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Pituitary Function.
35. Agents Used to Treat Hyperglycemia and Hypoglycemia.
Section X: AGENTS AFFECTING THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM.
36. Sex Hormones.
37. Agents Used in Obstetrical Care.
Section XI: AGENTS AFFECTING IMMUNITY.
38. Agents that Affect Immunity.
39. Antineoplastic Agents and Adjunct Drugs Used in Cancer Treatment.
Section XII: AGENTS USED TO TREAT EYE, EAR, AND SKIN HEALTH ALTERATIONS.
40. Agents Used in the Treatment of Conditions of the Eyes.
41. Agents Used in the Treatment of Conditions of the Ears.
42. Agents Used in the Treatment of Skin Conditions.
Appendix 1: Pharmacologic Classifications.
Appendix 2: Immunization Schedules.
Appendix 3: Approximate Normal Laboratory Values for Adults.
Appendix 4: Common Food/Drug/Herbal Interactions.
Appendix 5: I.S.M.P.''s List of High-Alert Medications.
Appendix 6: I.S.M.P.''s List of Error-Prone Abbreviations, Symbols, and Dose Designations.
Appendix 7: The Joint Commission Official ''Do Not Use'' List.
Appendix 8: Abbreviations Commonly Found in Medication Prescriptions.
Appendix 9: Spanish and French Translations of Common Medication Instructions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resource includes a 200-page Instructor Manual with answers to case studies and questions in the textbook, as well as teaching suggestions; 700 PowerPoint® slides that coordinate with the book; a test bank created in ExamView with 1,200 questions and rationales; and an image library, which includes photos and illustrations from the book. Available in a 4-color DVD and also posted to the Instructor site on the Premium Website.
Student Study Guide
The Student Study Guide has been completely overhauled in this new eighth edition, which now includes five question types: definition, fill in, multiple choice, multiple response, and critical thinking. The new multiple response questions are in response to new changes in the NCLEX test plan. An Answer Key is provided in the back of the Study Guide.
CourseMate Instant Access
Premium Website Instant Access Code
Student Study Guide
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Premium Website Instant Access Code
Quizzing Instant Access
Interactive practice quizzes designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. True/false and multiple choice questions are included for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing with Flash Cards Instant Access
Interactive practice quizzes and flashcards designed to work with your text can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. Flashcards contain terms and definitions for each chapter. Practice quizzes consist of true/false and multiple choice questions for each chapter. Check your score and take quizzes again if needed. A reference for where to find more material in the text is included with each answer. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, practice quizzes and flashcards are already included.