Request for consultation
Math is a critical element of pharmaceutical care and a sound knowledge of math concepts is key to succeeding as a pharmacy technician. The second edition of PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS: A WORKTEXT provides an effective, hands-on guide to essential math skills, from simple addition and subtraction to formulas used in dosage calculations and basic business math. This highly practical reference helps students develop strong math skills to perform accurate calculations with confidence and prevent medication errors. In addition to informative content, the text includes abundant examples of medication labels, medical forms, and other images to help students apply professional skills in real-life situations. Now thoroughly updated, this edition is more useful than ever, providing an invaluable resource for students and professional pharmacy technicians alike.
- Expanded chapter on math fundamentals includes additional coverage of essential concepts and operations, providing a stronger foundation for students to build knowledge and skills throughout the course.
- Updated and reorganized chapters cover important topics such as interpreting prescriptions and drug labels, assessing percentage of error due to equipment, understanding concentrations, working with dilutions and solutions, conducting dimensional analysis, and reconstituting powdered drugs.
- Several chapters from the previous edition have been consolidated to accommodate new material while preserving a streamlined, reader-friendly structure and presentation.
- Appendix B now includes answers to all Test Your Knowledge questions, allowing students to check their results, assess their understanding of chapter material, and easily identify any areas for reinforcement with further study.
- New appendix lists the most commonly prescribed drugs in 2011, providing a convenient, practical, and timely reference that is highly relevant for today's practicing and aspiring pharmacy technicians.
- Presented in a practical, hands-on workbook format, the text features more than 1,100 practice problems to help students hone their math skills effectively through practice and application.
- Examples for each problem type are provided in a clear, step-by-step format making even complex math concepts easier to understand for students of all ability and comfort levels.
- Material on pediatric and geriatric drug calculations provides useful insights and advice related to the specialized medication needs of these significant patient segments.
- "Remember" boxes throughout the text highlight key content, drawing students' attention to important facts, calculations, and other material especially worthy of notice and retention.
1. Fundamentals of Math.
2. Fractions and Decimals.
3. Ratios, Proportions, and Percents.
4. Celsius and Fahrenheit Temperature Conversions.
Part II: PRESCRIPTIONS, DRUG LABELS, AND PERCENTAGE OF ERROR.
5. Interpretation of Prescriptions and Drug Labels.
6. Percentage of Error Due to Equipment.
Part III: LIQUID MEASURES, CONCENTRATIONS, AND DILUTIONS.
8. Dilutions and Solutions.
Part IV: DOSAGE CALCULATIONS
9. Ratio and Proportion Method.
10. Dimensional Analysis.
11. Formula Method.
12. Oral Medication Labels and Dosage Calculations.
13. Reconstitution of Powdered Drugs.
14. Parenteral Medication Labels and Dosage Calculation.
15. Intravenous Flow Rate Calculations.
16. Pediatric Drug Administration.
Part V: PHARMACY OPERATIONS.
17. Business Math.
Appendix A: Answers to Stop and Review Activities.
Appendix B: Answers to Test Your Knowledge Questions.
Appendix C: Answers to Case Studies.
Appendix D: The Most Commonly Prescribed Drugs in 2011.
Appendix E: Converting Measurements.