Request for consultation
The respected and recognized best seller in the market, Jerry Burger's PERSONALITY is a solid mid-level book that fuses the theory-based approach to personality with the research-based approach to give students a comprehensive view of the field. For each major theoretical approach to personality, Burger pairs "theory, application, and assessment" chapters with chapters covering relevant programs of research. Biographical sketches of theorists and accounts of the stories behind influential research programs help students understand how classic and contemporary findings relate to each other, and reinforce the connection between theory and research. Personality scales throughout the book promote students' hands-on interaction with the material.
- Updated with the latest research, this edition includes more than 300 new references.
- Recent research on "resilience" is added to the section on anxiety and coping strategies.
- The section on gender roles is completely rewritten and now includes a subsection on the negative consequences of social pressure to act masculine or feminine.
- "In the News" boxes engage students with current, relevant examples that show how concepts in the text apply to daily life.
- An integrated approach pairs "theory, application, and assessment" chapters with companion chapters on relevant research for each theoretical perspective. The structure of the book is designed to demonstrate how theories drive research and how relevant re
- Research chapters are organized around 26 concepts often investigated by personality researchers, such as self-esteem, emotions, and temperament. By looking at programs of research rather than occasional examples, students see how researchers developed th
- The text offers a thorough overview of all major theories of personality.
- Presentation of research is up-to-date, with more than 300 new references.
- "Assessing Your Own Personality" exercises allow students to become personally involved with many of the concepts covered in the book. Fourteen personality tests are scattered throughout the book -- students take and score the tests themselves, thereby gaining a better understanding of the concept under discussion and an appreciation for how psychologists measure personality. The scales include measures of conscientiousness, social anxiety, and achievement goals.
- An application section in each theory chapter shows how concepts from that theoretical approach are relevant to applied areas like education and psychotherapy.
2. Personality Research Methods.
3. The Psychoanalytic Approach: Freudian Theory, Application, and Assessment.
4. The Freudian Approach: Relevant Research.
5. The Psychoanalytic Approach: Neo-Freudian Theory, Application, and Assessment.
6. The Neo-Freudian Theories: Relevant Research.
7. The Trait Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
8. The Trait Approach: Relevant Research.
9. The Biological Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
10. The Biological Approach: Relevant Research.
11. The Humanistic Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
12. The Humanistic Approach: Relevant Research.
13. The Behavioral/Social Learning Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
14. The Behavioral/Social Learning Approach: Relevant Research.
15. The Cognitive Approach: Theory, Application, and Assessment.
16. The Cognitive Approach: Relevant Research.
Appendix: Your Personality.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. Access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, the instructor's manual, and test bank questions.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per semester.