Request for consultation
Integrating coverage of the latest technology and online tools available for practicing paralegals, PARALEGAL TODAY: THE LEGAL TEAM AT WORK, Seventh Edition, provides a comprehensive introduction to the legal system through real-world examples, practical applications, ethical dilemmas, and hands-on assignments. This timely, user-friendly text covers both general information and specific areas of the law to help future paralegals develop an understanding of the laws in our society, the importance of ethical and professional responsibility, and the skills needed to thrive in the legal environment. The Seventh Edition's new discussions of law firm e-mail policies, social media strategies, and online legal research tools helps prepare students to meet the challenges of today's paralegal working environment.
- Enhanced discussion of law firm e-mail policies and social media strategies help students prepare for today's workplace.
- Extensively revised coverage of online legal research tools, including detailed discussions of the costs and benefits of WestlawNext, Lexis Advantage, Bloomberg Law, and Google Scholar.
- New coverage of organizing and protecting electronic records helps students understand the role of the paralegals in protecting their firm from over-exposure in case of litigation.
- Every chapter has numerous new study questions for students that help them review material and provide practical exercises in researching a variety of topics.
- New Technology and Today’s Paralegal feature on advances in technology in document retention, jury review, and some new apps that assist in research and organization.
- Chapter 12: New Developing Paralegal Skills feature covers technology for trial preparation.
- Chapter 18: New material about doing online formation of a corporation or other business entity. Coverage of searching for owners of beneficial interests and of personal security issues that arise from exposure of such interests.
- PROFESSIONAL ETHICS and RESPONSIBILITY. The "Ethics Watch" feature take students into hypothetical situations that present an ethical problem. In addition, "In the Office" features provide tips on how paralegals can be more productive and professional.
- STUDY TOOLS. Numerous features and exhibits throughout the text and comprehensive end-of-chapter activities, like group projects, emphasize applying concepts through hands-on practice.
- TECHNOLOGY IN THE WORKPLACE. Coverage of how technology is affecting the law, the legal workplace, and paralegal tasks is included. Topics include confidentiality issues, e-mail policies, technology in the courtroom, and the use of social media in crime detection and in the enforcement of delinquent court judgments.
- DEVELOPING PARALEGAL SKILLS. This feature allows students to see how what they are learning is put into practice.
- REAL-WORLD RELEVANCE. Real-world examples and Featured Contributors add multiple perspectives and bring concepts to life.
1. Today's Paralegal Profession.
2. Career Opportunities.
3. The Inner Workings of the Law Office.
4. Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
5. Sources of American Law.
6. The Court System and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
PART II: LEGAL PROCEDURES AND PARALEGAL SKILLS.
7. Legal Research and Analysis.
8. Online Legal Research.
9. Legal Writing: Form and Substance.
10. Civil Litigation: Before the Trial.
11. Conducting Interviews and Investigations.
12. Trial Procedures.
13. Criminal Law and Procedures.
PART III: SUBSTANTIVE AREAS OF LAW.
14. Tort Law, Product Liability, and Consumer Law.
15. Contracts and Intellectual Property Law.
16. Real Property and Insurance Law.
17. Family Law and Estates.
18. Business Organizations and Employment Law.
19. Bankruptcy and Environmental Law.
NALA's Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
NALA's Model Standards and Guidelines for Utilization of Legal Assistants.
NFPA's Model Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility and Guidelines for Enforcement.
NALS Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility
Information on NALA's CP Program.
Information on NFPA's PACE® Examination.
Information on NALS Certification.
The Constitution of the United States.
Spanish Equivalents for Important Legal Terms in English.
“Depth of coverage. The material is covered thoroughly and in an easy to understand manner. This is a great strength of a textbook used in an introductory course. Topics covered. The text covers almost every conceivable topic that can be taught in an introductory paralegal course. This provides the instructor with options for coverage in a classroom. The assignments. There is a variety of assignments at the end of the chapter. This provides the instructor with multiple opportunities to assess learning and to reinforce the material covered.”
“Excellent format. The use of additional features, such as technology, ethics, developing skills and practice focus give students a real-life look at the types of tasks that will take place in an actual paralegal position. Significant number of “hands-on" activities. These are so important in training paralegals to be successful in this career field. All of our paralegal programs focus on hands-on assignments throughout the curriculum. New ways to apply legal concepts in an applied learning format significantly enhances this text. Large number of teaching supplements.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Web Site
The Instructor Companion Website includes an Instructor’s Manual with sample syllabus, lecture outline and teaching suggestions, Computerized Test Bank in Cognero®, and customizable PowerPoint® presentations.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.