Request for consultation
Market-leading ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT AND CHANGE, 10th Edition blends rigor and relevance in a comprehensive and clear presentation. The authors work from a strong theoretical foundation to describe, in practical terms, how behavioral science knowledge can be used to develop organizational strategies, structures, and processes.
- Integration and Flow: The chapter sequence from previous editions has been maintained, but the total number of chapters was reduced from 25 to 23, better integrating the content. A more integrated presentation of the diagnostic process was created by combining two chapters into one. Similarly, combining the chapters on data collection, analysis, and feedback into one forms a more tightly integrated description. Finally, there is a consistent organization design framework in the diagnosis, structural design, and strategic change sections.
- Global Integration: The overall integration and flow of material has been improved by making a concerted attempt to address global issues and global perspectives throughout the text. This edition shows a concentrated effort to dramatically reduce the North American bias and to cite European, Asian, Australian, South American, and where possible, African examples.
- Strategic Emphasis Continued: Reflecting on where OD is headed, Part 6 on strategic change interventions has been completely rewritten. The authors have added dynamic strategy making, completely revised the section on organization design, leveraged the design section to more deeply explore integrated strategic change, and completely revised the sections on organization learning, built to change, and culture change.
- Sustainability: A new chapter (Chapter 21), focusing on OD practices intended to improve and balance organizations' economic, social, and ecological outcomes, has been added. This topic is a growing area of OD practice and one that will continue to expand.
- Key Chapter Revisions: Other chapters have received important updates and improvements. Chapter 7's description of designing interventions, in keeping with the global integration described above, has been rewritten to account for cross-cultural values in interventions. In Chapter 22, the sections on OD in Healthcare, Education, Government, and Family Businesses have been completely re-written by new and familiar guest authors. Finally, Chapter 23--Future Directions in Organization Development--has received a thorough revision based on the authors' recent research.
- Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.
- Global: A strong cross-cultural and global orientation is maintained throughout the book. The text describes how interventions can be affected by cultural context and applications and case use organization from around the world.
- Learning Objectives: Each chapter opens with succinct objectives for the student to learn and understand as they read the chapter.
- Applications: Each chapter includes several short applications where different OD interventions or processes were used in practice. These shorts cases often describe how OD is used in well-known organizations.
- Cases: Case studies at the end of each major part in the book permit a more in-depth discussion of the OD process, using real-world examples.
Part I: OVERVIEW OF ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT.
2. The Nature of Planned Change.
3. The Organization Development Practitioner.
Part II: THE PROCESS OF ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT.
4. Entering and Contracting.
6. Collecting, Analyzing, and Feeding Back Diagnostic Information.
7. Designing Interventions.
8. Managing Change.
9. Evaluating and Institutionalizing Organization Development Interventions.
Part III: HUMAN PROCESS INTERVENTIONS.
10. Interpersonal and Group Process Approaches.
11. Organization Process Approaches.
Part IV: TECHNOSTRUCTURAL INTERVENTIONS.
12. Structural Designs.
13. Employee Involvement.
14. Work Design.
Part V: HUMAN RESOURCE INTERVENTIONS.
15. Performance Management.
16. Talent Management.
17. Workforce Diversity and Wellness.
Part VI: STRATEGIC CHANGE INTERVENTIONS.
18. Transformational Change.
19. Continuous Change.
20. Transorganization Change.
Part VII: SPECIAL APPLICATIONS OF ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT.
21. Organization Development for Economic, Ecological, and Social Outcomes.
22. Organization Development in Nonindustrial Settings: Health Care, School Systems, the Public Sector, and Family-Owned.
23. Future Directions in Organization Development.