Request for consultation
Renowned for its student-friendly writing style and fresh perspective, this fully updated Third Edition of John McMurry's ORGANIC CHEMISTRY WITH BIOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS provides full coverage of the foundations of organic chemistry--enhanced by biological examples throughout. In addition, McMurry discusses the organic chemistry behind biological pathways. New problems, illustrations, and essays have been added. Media integration with OWL for Organic Chemistry, a customizable online learning system, and assessment tool, reduces faculty workload, facilitates instruction, and helps students master concepts through tutorials, simulations, and algorithmically-generated homework questions. This briefer, paperbound version does not contain the end-of-chapter problems, which can be assigned in OWLv2, the online homework and learning system for this book. Access to OWLv2 and the MindTap Reader eBook is included with the Hybrid version. The MindTap Reader is the full version of the text, with all end-of-chapter questions and problem sets.
- WHY THIS CHAPTER? now begins each chapter; it is a brief introduction about the material being covered, why it is important and how the organic chemistry in the chapter relates to biological chemistry.
- Figure and table references in the text are now in color to help reference them. All figure legends now begin with a boldface title to help students easily identify their content.
- SOMETHING EXTRA essays end each chapter and tie the chapter content to relevant real-world material. Some new essays include, "Organic Foods," and "Dental Anesthetics."
- Many new problems have been included at the end of chapters.
- Some new content includes: Mercury-catalyzed alkyne hydration (Chapter 8); Enols and tautomerization (Chapter 8); Conversion of alcohols to alkyl fluorides (Chapter 12); Organic coupling reactions (Chapter 12); Base-induced epoxide cleavage (Chapter 13); Killiani-Fischer and Whol degradation (Chapter 21); Prostaglandins and other eicosanoids (Chapter 23).
- An increase in the number of Organic OWL questions for the online homework system.
- The #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry, OWLv2, is available for this text--now with new instructor features and enhanced functionality: a Dashboard that consolidates all course materials; easy, intuitive assignment creation and management; ability to preview and select activities/questions for each assignment; new assignment settings and options; improved gradebook; Personalized Study tools to help students focus their time on the key concepts and skills; and MindTap Reader™, a new eBook with apps and embedded video. OWLv2 courses for Gen Chem, GOB, Organic, and Liberal Arts now include Quick Prep essential skills assignments that can be taken before the semester begins or during the first few weeks, to help students succeed in the course. For this course, OWLv2 also includes new interactive versions of the end-of-chapter questions from the text and new iPad-compatible visualizations and tutorials.
- VERTICAL FORMAT FOR CHEMICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL REACTION MECHANISMS. Mechanisms are printed with action steps vertically, alongside annotations for each step next, so students can see what is occurring at each step in a reaction without having to jump back and forth between the text and structures.
- VISUALIZATION OF BIOLOGICAL REACTIONS. McMurry "ghosts" the non-reacting parts of biological reactions to focus student attention on the reacting parts in large molecules, so they can more easily visualize changes that occur during reactions of large biomolecules.
- "WHY THIS CHAPTER?" INTRODUCTIONS. A brief paragraph in each chapter introduction tells students why the material about to be covered is important and explains how the organic chemistry in each chapter relates to biological chemistry.
- WORKED EXAMPLES. The worked examples in each chapter are titled to give students a frame of reference and each includes a strategy and worked-out solution, followed by problems for students to try on their own.
- PREVIEW OF CARBONYL CHEMISTRY. Following Chapter 13, there is an interchapter that highlights the idea that studying organic chemistry works by both summarizing past ideas and looking ahead to new ones.
- SOMETHING EXTRA boxes. McMurry's chapter-ending boxes relate real-world concepts to chemistry through essays.
- HELPFUL LEARNING AIDS. End-of-chapter summaries and key words help students focus on the key concepts in a chapter. Reaction Summaries bring together the key reactions from that chapter into one complete list.
- Improve student learning outcomes with OWLv2, the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry, now with new features and enhanced functionality! Developed by chemistry instructors, OWLv2's reporting and grade book features simplify homework management and track student progress. OWLv2 addresses different student learning styles through tutorials, visualization exercises, and algorithmically generated homework questions with instant answer-specific feedback. With OWLv2's mastery learning approach, students work at their own pace until they understand each concept/skill. OWL includes MindTap Reader™, an iPad-compatible multimedia eBook. Gen Chemistry, GOB, and Liberal Arts courses include Quick Prep modules to help students learn essential skills.
- EARLIER COVERAGE OF STEREOCHEMISTRY AND SPECTROSCOPY. Chirality and stereochemistry at tetrahedral centers, a topic crucial to understanding biological chemistry, appears early in Chapter 5.
- ENHANCED PROBLEMS. To enhance problem-solving and visualization skills, McMurry uses many multi-step problems and reduces the number of drill-type problems.
2. Polar Covalent Bonds; Acids and Bases.
3. Organic Compounds: Alkanes and Their Stereochemistry.
4. Organic Compounds: Cycloalkanes and Their Stereochemistry.
5. Stereochemistry at Tetrahedral Centers.
6. An Overview of Organic Reactions.
7. Alkenes and Alkynes.
8. Reactions of Alkenes and Alkynes.
9. Aromatic Compounds.
10. Structure Determination: Mass Spectrometry, Infrared Spectroscopy, and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy.
11. Structure Determination: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy.
12. Organohalides: Nucleophilic Substitutions and Eliminations.
13. Alcohols, Phenols, and Thiols; Ethers and Sulfides: A Preview of Carbonyl Chemistry
14. Aldehydes and Ketones: Nucleophilic Addition Reactions.
15. Carboxylic Acids and Nitriles.
16. Carboxylic Acid Derivatives: Nucleophilic Acyl Substitution Reactions.
17. Carbonyl Alpha-Substitution and Condensation Reactions.
18. Amines and Heterocycles.
19. Biomolecules: Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins.
20. Amino Acid Metabolism.
21. Biomolecules: Carbohydrates.
22. Carbohydrate Metabolism.
23. Biomolecules: Lipids and Their Metabolism.
24. Biomolecules: Nucleic Acids and Their Metabolism.
e25. Secondary Metabolites: An Introduction to Natural Products Chemistry.
e26. Orbitals and Organic Chemistry: Pericyclic Reactions.
e27. Synthetic Polymers.
"I find it superior at providing a better bridge to biochemistry with its in-depth discussions at the end of the text as well as the integration of biological and biochemical issues throughout the text. I really appreciate the text's integration of biochemical concepts. It does a really nice job at explaining the organic chemistry basis of many biochemical reactions. Many students who take this course are in the pre-health programs, and biochemistry is highly recommended. The book will serve the student well at assisting him/her to better understand the chemistry behind biology."
"The book is excellent. I think Professor McMurry took a real chance in writing a book that was so different from the texts considered to be mainstream, such as the books by Carey or Solomons."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online PowerLecture with Cognero and JoinIn™ Student Response System
Search for this text at login.CENGAGE.com and choose Instructor Companion Site to access these digital resources for this text: 1) PowerPoint® lecture slides by Richard Morrison of the University of Georgia, Athens; 2) Image libraries for figures, photographs, and numbered tables; 3) Sample chapters from the Student Solutions Manual and Study Guide. 4) List of end-of-chapter questions that you can assign in OWLv2; 5) Cognero® online testing software with questions by Scott Lefler, Arizona State University 5) "Clicker" content for use with the classroom response system of your choice; 6) Chemistry Multimedia Library of lecture-ready animations, simulations, and movies.
Study Guide with Solutions Manual
Written by Susan McMurry, the Study Guide and Solutions Manual provide answers and explanations to all in-text and end-of-chapter exercises, and include supplemental information via appendices. This print text doubles as an Instructor Solutions Manual. Three preview chapters are provided on the companion site.
Study Guide with Solutions Manual
This Study Guide and Solutions Manual provide answers and explanations to all in-text and end-of-chapter exercises and include supplemental information to help enrich your chemistry experience.