Request for consultation
This overview of twentieth-century American history gives special emphasis to social and cultural history. David Horowitz and Peter N. Carroll, both respected teachers and scholars of U.S. history, take a balanced approach to all aspects of the socio-cultural spectrum, giving students objective insight into the experiences of women, African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Asian-Americans, evangelical Christians, populists, working people, and other peoples affected by the events of this fascinating period in history. The authors include numerous tables, charts, photographs, and biographical inserts to give students further perspective on the events they discuss.
1. Life at the Start of the 20th Century.
2. The Politics of Progressive Reform, 1896-1912.
3. Wilsonian Reform and Global Order, 1912-1920.
4. The Politics and Culture of the Jazz Age 1920-1928.
5. The Great Depression and New Deal Reform 1929-1936.
6. Democratic Capitalism and the Liberal State, 1937-1941.
7. World War II: The War Against Fascism and the Search for Global Order.
8. The Search for Security, 1945-1954.
9. Republican Leadership and the Anticommunist Crusade, 1950-1954.
10. Eisenhower�s Troubled Consensus, 1954-1960.
11. The Age of Liberal Activisim, 1960-1965.
12. Polarized America: Racial Turmoil and Vietnam, 1965-1968.
13. The Embattled Presidency, 1968-1976.
14. Struggling Giant: The Carter and Reagan Years, 1976-1988.
15. The Turn to Centrism: Bush, Clinton and Bush, 1988-2003.
"I’ve been using the text for two years and love it. This is the best book I’ve ever used teaching U.S. history. It brings everything together--the culture of the times, boxed bios, plus I show movies. Very user friendly, easy to read."
"I really like all the pictures, and because I’m a historical biographer, I also like the boxes. Good maps. Good cultural/social coverage, rather than just the political. Our survey course is broken into thirds, but the text is useful no matter how much of it I cover."
"Pretty darn good! I’ve used it three times, and I like the maps, organization, and especially the biographies. The book contains what I want to cover. Good coverage of New Deal and World War II."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Includes chapter outline reflecting the main headings; discussion topics, key terms with definitions, and examination questions (essays, true/false and multiple-choice questions, the latter with correct answers and text page references indicated).