Request for consultation
Engage your students and free up time to focus on what matters – teaching! NUTRITION: YOUR LIFE SCIENCE, 2nd Edition takes an integrated approach with a modular text and multiple layers of automatically-graded assessment. Authors Jennifer Turley and Joan Thompson greatly improved outcomes in their classes and they understand the way today's students learn. They incorporate varied learning styles into an approach that encourages engagement, critical thinking, and self-analysis. Reinforcing concepts for students, saving time for instructors, and providing analytics across course sections, the integrated assessments include homework, case studies, crossword puzzles, exams, and more. This flexible and easily customized solution enables you to focus on what you do best – teaching!
- You know what's best for your students and you can deliver it with MindTap for Nutrition! The clear and engaging learning path includes student learning tools—readings, Diet & Wellness Plus, pop-up tutors, activities, and assessments—and guides students through their course. Instructors can easily set their course by customizing the learning path and adding their favorite resources.
- Recent revisions to the nutrition facts panel reflect current nutrition science, updated serving sizes, and an improved design.
- Updated with the latest developments in nutrition and refined throughout the text for even greater clarity.
- On-page glossary terms help students learn the unique nutrition terminology throughout each module and focus on learning concepts.
- The integrated modular textbook and online MindTap provide an interactive, engaging learning experience. The seven modules include multiple layers of assessment to prepare students to demonstrate knowledge, apply the information, and master terminology. The automatically-graded assessments include homework questions, case studies, crossword puzzles, and exams.
- Learning Goals frame each module at the beginning and end to emphasize the key concepts. In addition, Personal Improvement Goals demonstrate how students can apply the information to their own lives.
- "T-Talk" lectures by author Jennifer Turley engage students and cover key concepts in each module (Five T-Talks per module).
- "BioBeats" address major themes and organizing principles important to the study of nutrition. They often deal with the biological or chemical underpinnings of how our bodies work, how food becomes fuel, how one's genes affect one's health risks, and so on.
- "Practices" throughout each module provide problem solving opportunities for students. These include Diet & Wellness Plus, data analysis, and demos.
- "Quick Review" and "Take Ten Reflective Questions" reinforce key concepts at the end of each unit within a module.
Nutrition Basics and Terminology. Carbohydrates. Proteins. Lipids/Fats. Vitamins/Minerals, and Water. Summary.
2. TOOLS TO PLAN, MANAGE, AND EVALUATE DIETS.
Food Labels. Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs). The MyPlate Food Guidance System. Dietary Guidelines and Recommendations. Food Composition Information and the Exchange Lists. Summary.
3. NUTRITION IN HEALTH AND CHRONIC DISEASE.
The Gastrointestinal System. Proteins: From Foods to Cells in the Body. Photosynthesis and Fiber. Carbohydrate Storage and Disorders. Lipids in Heart Disease and Cancer. Summary.
4. THE SCIENCE OF NUTRITION IN ENERGY BALANCE, BODY COMPOSITION, WEIGHT CONTROL, AND FITNESS.
Scientific Inquiry Tied to Genetics, Evolution, and Obesity. Energy Balance. Body Composition and Weight Control. Principles of Fitness for Health. Fundamentals of Exercise for Nutrition. Summary.
5. THE VITAMINS AND MINERALS.
Nutrient Issues and Fat-Soluble Vitamins. Water-Soluble Vitamins. Water and the Electrolytes. Major Minerals in Bond and Protein. Trace Minerals. Summary.
6. NUTRITION INFORMATION AND THE FOOD INDUSTRY.
Credibility of Nutrition Information. Food, Drugs, and Supplements. Food Additives. Food Safety: Microbial Growth. Food Issues: Consumer Awareness. Summary.
7. NUTRITION THROUGH THE LIFE SPAN.
Reproductive Fitness and Prenatal Nutrition. Nutrition During Infancy and for Lactation. Childhood Nutrition. Adolescent Nutrition. Nutrition for the Older Adult. Summary.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
The test bank features a large assortment of multiple-choice questions, essay questions, and matching exercises, now categorized by learning objectives as well as difficulty level and text page location.