Request for consultation
NUTRITION COUNSELING AND EDUCATION SKILL DEVELOPMENT, 3rd Edition, is a step-by-step guide to help entry-level practitioners through the basic components involved in changing food behavior and improving nutritional status. This book provides nutritional professionals with a solid foundation of counseling and education principles, opportunities to practice new skills, and knowledge of evaluation methodologies in an organized, accessible, and engaging approach. The authors' clear style helps readers translate theoretical perspectives on nutrition counseling into actual effective dialogues between client and counselor to influence client knowledge, skills, and attitudes. In addition, since the goals and objectives of nutrition counselors and educators complement each other, the scope of this text has expanded to include elements unique to nutrition education.
- Practical examples: Recognizing that nutrition education and counseling takes place in a variety of settings, the authors provide concrete examples, case studies, and first-person accounts throughout the text, representing a variety of wellness, private practice, and institutional settings.
- The 3rd Edition has been updated to incorporate the newest Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' Nutrition Care Process materials and United States Department of Agriculture ChooseMyPlate.gov guidelines.
- Action-based learning: Exercises are integrated into the text to give students ample opportunity and encouragement to interact with the concepts covered in each chapter. Each chapter has review questions and a culminating assignment that integrates all or most of the major topics covered throughout the chapter. Instructors can choose to assign the activities to be done individually, at home, or used as classroom activities.
- Evidence-based approaches, grounded in behavior change models and theories have been found to be effective for educational and counseling interventions and are analyzed and integrated into skill-development exercises.
- The final chapter consists of a four-week guided nutrition counseling program that demonstrates practical applications of the text. It includes a step-by-step guide for a student working with a volunteer adult client for four sessions. The objective of this section is to demonstrate how the theoretical discussions, practice activities, and nutrition tools can be integrated and applied for an effective intervention.
2. Frameworks for Understanding and Attaining Behavior Change.
3. Communication Essentials.
4. Meeting Your Client: The Counseling Interview.
5. Developing A Nutrition Care Plan: Putting It All Together.
6. Promoting Change to Facilitate Self-Management.
7. Making Behavior Change Last.
8. Physical Activity.
9. Communication with Diverse Population Groups.
10. Group Facilitation and Counseling.
11. Keys to Successful Nutrition Education Interventions.
12. Educational Strategies, Mass Media, and Evaluation.
13. Professionalism and Final Issues.
14. Guided Counseling Experience.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Global Nutrition Watch Instant Access Code
Bring currency to your classroom with GLOBAL NUTRITION WATCH from Cengage Learning! This student-friendly website provides convenient access to thousands of trusted sources, including academic journals, newspapers, videos, and podcasts, for students to use for research projects or classroom discussion. GLOBAL NUTRITION WATCH is updated daily to offer the most current news about topics related to Nutrition. Bundle this valuable resource at no additional charge with any Cengage Learning title or have your students purchase the resource center as a standalone item.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.