Request for consultation
Build a healthier future with Sizer/Whitney’s NUTRITION: CONCEPTS AND CONTROVERSIES! Updated throughout and featuring the new Dietary Guidelines, this clear and engaging market leader strikes the perfect balance of scientific research, core concepts, and relevant applications. The authors draw readers into the study of nutrition with a lively and approachable writing style. They dispel students’ existing misconceptions and empower them to make better nutrition choices and enact real, lasting behavior change. The most engaging and easily personalized online solution in Nutrition, MindTap enables instructors to deliver what they know is best for their students.
- New Dietary Guidelines: The 14th edition incorporates the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015.
- Updated Throughout: New coverage includes updated labeling, new nutrition guidelines for diabetes, added sugars and blood pressure, debate surrounding lipid guidelines, gluten-free diets, nutrient chemical structures (Appendix I), and more.
- MindTap for Nutrition enhancements: New conceptual exercises, Study Guide, and “A Closer Look” activities in MindTap help students develop a better understanding of key concepts.
- New Figures: Added figures throughout the text including a food label of milk fortified with vitamins A and D, a figure highlighting protein labeling, calorie labels on restaurant menus, a figure summarizing the relationship between risks and benefits, and more.
- New Tables: Added tables throughout the text including Benefits of fitness, Protein-rich snacks for athletes, How to Wash Produce, A Sampling of Natural Toxins. Complications associated with smoking during pregnancy, Physical complications of obesity during childhood, Point, Counterpoint table on arguments for and against calcium supplements, and more.
- Special features promote learning and understanding, including margin notes, end-of-chapter “Self Checks,” and "Think Fitness" boxes that emphasize the connection and the interdependency of fitness and nutrition for total health.
- The clear and engaging MindTap includes student learning tools—readings, Diet & Wellness Plus, pop-up tutors, activities, and assessments—and guides students through their course. Instructors can easily personalize MindTap with their favorite resources.
- Appearing in each chapter, "Concepts in Action" features integrate Diet & Wellness Plus activities to relate chapter concepts to students’ lives.
- "Food Feature" boxes appear in most chapters to bridge theory and practice; they are practical applications of key concepts that help readers choose foods according to sound nutrition principles.
- "Controversy" end-of-chapter essays provide a balanced view of scientific evidence regarding current and emerging topics in nutrition. Each Controversy has been thoroughly updated.
2. Nutrition Tools—Standards and Guidelines.
3. The Remarkable Body.
4. The Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starch, Glycogen, and Fiber.
5. The Lipids: Fats, Oils, Phospholipids, and Sterols.
6. The Proteins and Amino Acids.
7. The Vitamins.
8. Water and Minerals.
9. Energy Balance and Healthy Body Weight.
10. Performance Nutrition.
11. Diet and Health.
12. Food Safety and Food Technology.
13. Life Cycle Nutrition: Mother and Infant.
14. Child, Teen, and Older Adult.
15. Hunger and the Future of Food.
Appendix A. Table of Food Composition.
Appendix B. World Health Organization Nutrition Recommendations and Guidelines.
Appendix C. Aids to Calculations.
Appendix D. Food Lists for Diabetes and Weight Management.
Appendix E. Food Patterns to Meet the Food Intake Patterns.
Appendix F. Notes.
Appendix G. Answers to Chapter Questions.
Appendix H. Physical Activity Levels and Energy Requirements.
Appendix I. Chemical Structures of Carbohydrates, Lipids, Amino Acids, and Peptides.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.