Request for consultation
Produced in partnership with the National Geographic Society, this remarkable text helps students master the basic tenets of world geography while exploring established and emerging tourist destinations worldwide. The text begins with an overview of geographic concepts and an introduction to the global tourism industry, including the perspective of both hosts and guests. World destinations are covered in twelve sections divided into short, easy-to-digest chapters, each presenting regional geographic information and physical, cultural, and touristic details specific to individual countries and locations. Each destination features a flag, National Geographic map, descriptive introduction from the National Geographic Atlas of the World, key facts and data, travel and cultural tips, and information on significant tourist destinations and attractions. Each section contains National Geographic articles in the features “Insider Info,” “Through the Visitor’s Eyes,” “City Highlights,” and “Preserving the Future.” In addition to extensive updates, the Fifth Edition now features a vibrant, full-colordesign. Ideal for avid travelers and aspiring hospitality, travel, and tourism professionals, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC LEARNING’s VISUAL GEOGRAPHY OF TRAVEL AND TOURISM, Fifth Edition, is an engaging and informative guide to the world’s most unusual and appealing destinations.
- A new, full-color design brings destinations to life via engaging photographs, detailed maps, and vivid illustrations ideal for today’s visual learners.
- “Preserving the Future” boxes in each section put the focus on sustainability, featuring National Geographic articles about environmental issues and efforts within the region.
- “Insider Info”and “Through the Visitor’s Eyes” boxes in each section feature National Geographic articles about the region.
- “City Highlights” boxes in each section feature National Geographic articles focusing on a single city within the region.
- Now produced in partnership with the National Geographic Society, the Fifth Edition features the Society’s maps, country flags and descriptions from National Geographic’s Atlas of the World, and articles from National Geographic Magazine and National Geographic Traveler.
- Thoroughly revised to present an accurate, current view of our dynamic world, the text includes updated statistical, political, entry documentation, population, and government information for tourist destinations around the globe.
- Country profiles and cultural capsules provide useful, essential background information to communicate the unique character of each country, which contributes greatly to its appeal as a tourist destination.
- Travel Tips for major travel destinations describe entry requirements, peak travel seasons, national holidays, online shopping and information sites, and other information useful for planning trips.
- Maps and descriptions of physical geography combine with vivid photos, cultural and travel information to convey the unique features of each area and encourage a deeper understanding of attractions and seasonality.
Part I: GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM.
1. Geography and Tourism: The Attraction of Place.
Part II. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
2. New England.
3. Mid Atlantic.
4. South Atlantic.
5. East South Central.
6. East North Central.
7. West South Central.
8. West North Central.
Part III. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM OF CANADA.
11. Canada: Provinces and Territories.
Part IV. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN MEXICO AND CENTRAL AMERICA.
12. Middle America.
Part V. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN THE CARIBBEAN.
13. Greater Antilles.
14. Lesser Antilles.
15. Other Windward Islands.
16. Other Islands of the Caribbean.
17. The Atlantic Islands.
Part VI. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN SOUTH AMERICA.
18. The Andes Countries.
19. Middle-Latitude South America.
20. Brazil and the Guyanas.
Part VII. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM EUROPE.
21. Western Europe.
22. Northern Europe.
23. Southern Europe.
24. Central Europe and the Balkan States.
Part VIII. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN RUSSIA AND ITS NEIGHBORS.
25. Russia and its Neighbors.
26. The Central Asian Countries Created from the Former Soviet Union.
Part IX. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN THE MIDDLE EAST.
27. The Middle East.
28. The Arabian Peninsula.
Part X. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN AFRICA.
29. North Africa.
30. West Africa.
31. East Africa.
32. Southern Africa.
33. Central and Interior Africa.
Part XI. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN ASIA.
34. East Asia.
35. South Asia.
36. Southeast Asia.
Part XII. GEOGRAPHY AND TOURISM IN AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, AND THE ISLANDS OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC.
39. Melanesia, Micronesia and Other Pacific Islands.
40. New Zealand and Australia.
"I like the book - - colorful, accurate, and an easy read for the students. I enjoy the fact that a lot of my students are from all over the world and are excited when we get to their region..."