Request for consultation
MODERN DIESEL TECHNOLOGY: LIGHT DUTY DIESELS provides a thorough introduction to the light-duty diesel engine, now the power plant of choice in pickup trucks and automobiles to optimize fuel efficiency and longevity. While the major emphasis is on highway usage, best-selling author Sean Bennett also covers small stationary and mobile off-highway diesels. Using a modularized structure, Bennett helps the reader achieve a conceptual grounding in diesel engine technology. After exploring the tools required to achieve hands-on technical competency, the text explores major engine subsystems and fuel management systems used over the past decade, including the common rail fuel systems that manage almost all current light duty diesel engines. In addition, this text covers engine management systems, computer controls, multiplexing electronics, diesel emissions and the means used to control them. All generations of CAN-bus technology are examined, including the latest automotive CAN-C multiplexing and the basics of network bus troubleshooting. ASE A-9 certification learning objectives are addressed in detail.
- Uses a building-block approach to introduce readers to diesel engine technology, beginning with engine hardware and advancing to computer controls, CAN-bus networking and emission control logic.
- Includes hundreds of photographs and colorful line illustrations to help explain technical concepts.
- Targets the learning objectives of the newly introduced ASE A-9 Certification Exam.
- Offers clearly stated learning objectives, chapter review questions, a detailed glossary of terms and many practical tips for working on diesel engines.
2. Introduction to diesel engines.
3. Diesel engine cylinder blocks
4. Cylinder head assemblies.
5. Intake and exhaust systems.
6. Cooling and lubricating circuits.
7. Fuel subsystems.
9. Pump line nozzle (PLN) fuel injection systems.
10. Electronically controlled injection systems.
11. Engine electrical (cranking and charging).
12. Engine electronics.
13. Emissions controls.
14. Servicing and maintenance.
15. Diagnostics and testing.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resources t/a MDT: Light Duty Diesels This valuable instructors CD-ROM contains a 64-page Instructor's Manual, an Image Gallery, PowerPoint slide with selected text images, and a set of chapter tests to help.