Request for consultation
MICROBIOLOGY: PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS AND INFECTION PREVENTION, 1st Edition gives tomorrow's health care and nursing professionals an overview of medical microbiology while emphasizing practical applications in clinical and care settings. Starting with the basics in each chapter, the book examines the science of microbiology, as well as medical specialities, aseptic techniques and procedures, infectious diseases, epidemiology, bioterrorism, and other fascinating topics. A robust set of ancillary learning tools guide readers toward a deeper understanding of medical microbiology in practice with videos, animations, interactive games, and more. Conversational and user-friendly, MICROBIOLOGY: PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS AND INFECTION PREVENTION, 1st Edition takes the fear out of medical microbiology, and opens the door to emerging health care careers.
- Stop and Review segments ensure concepts are understood before proceeding on to new material
- Clinical Applications connects content to real-world clinical environments illustrating how content relates to various fields of work.
- Learning Hints reinforce understanding and enhance retention of material.
- Controversy Boxes highlights issues to stimulate new ideas and can provide thought-provoking conversation starters for discussion
- Case Studies pull separate concepts together, show interrelationships, and stimulate critical thinking.
1. The Background of Microbiology.
2. Medical Microbiology.
3. More Medical Microbiology Specialties.
SECTION II: MICROBIOLOGY IN PRACTICE.
4. Infection Control.
5. Protecting Patients and Ourselves.
6. Microbiological Related Procedures.
SECTION III: THE INFECTIOUS DISEASES: A SYSTEMS APPROACH.
7. Immunizations and Antimicrobials.
8. Microbiological Diseases: Part One.
9. Respiratory Related Microbiological Diseases.
Appendix A: Answers to Chapter Stop and Review Questions.
Appendix B Clinical Laboratory Related Abbreviations and Acronyms.
Appendix C: Example Viral, Bacterial and Fungal Diseases and Causative Agents.
Appendix D: Patient Education on Preventing Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI's).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.