Request for consultation
Ideal for students, entry-level technicians, and experienced professionals, this fully updated Fifth Edition of MEDIUM/HEAVY DUTY TRUCK ENGINES, FUEL & COMPUTERIZED MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS is the most comprehensive guide to highway diesel engines and their management systems available today. This user-friendly, full color resource covers the full range of commercial vehicle engines, from light- to heavy-duty, as well as the most current management electronics used in the industry. The Fifth Edition features expanded coverage of natural gas (NG) fuel systems and controls (LPG and CNG), after treatment devices, and the most recent revisions to J1939 and chassis CAN bus electronics. Set apart from any other book on the market by its emphasis on the modern multiplexed chassis, this practical, wide-ranging guide helps students prepare for career success in the dynamic field of diesel engine service.
- Extensive updates that reflect the latest diesel and natural gas (NG) engines, computerized management systems, after treatment systems, and multiplexing, prepare students for success in the ever-evolving world of diesel engine service.
- New material provides thorough coverage of important topics, such as the management of CNG and LNG engines, single and dual actuator EUI systems, traditional and amplified CR systems, biodiesel and alternate fuel systems, exhaust/after treatment systems, and cutting-edge troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- A new, stronger emphasis on universal principles and practices prepares students to confidently perform a wide array of service tasks involving engines and systems by today’s leading manufacturers, including Bosch, Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar, Cummins, Navistar, Paccar, and Volvo/Mack.
- Now in full color.
- Applying his extensive experience as an educator and diesel service technician, the author combines exceptional technical accuracy with a highly accessible writing style that engages students and helps them readily master even complex material.
- The text addresses the most recent (2014) ASE Education Foundation standards and incorporates relevant mathematics and science material throughout, helping students hone practical, technical skills while building the conceptual knowledge necessary for career success and satisfaction.
- Well-organized into three intuitive, sequential sections, the text provides an in-depth introduction to commercial vehicle engine fundamentals before exploring more advanced material on diesel fuel systems, natural gas (NG) fuel systems, engine management, alternate power, emissions, and management electronics.
- Without skimping on the theory and principles underlying modern diesel engines and their repair and maintenance, the text emphasizes hands-on applications linked to performance-based learning outcomes, preparing students to apply what they learn in a real-world setting.
- With up-to-date coverage of not only the latest Tier IV diesel engines but also the progression to the EPA 2017-2020 Highway Diesel Rule, including electronic onboard recorders (EOBRs), information systems, HD-OBD, and electronically guided diagnostics, this detailed text helps students develop the knowledge and skills to enter the modern truck service industry with confidence.
2. Hand and Shop Tools.
3. Personal Safety Equipment.
4. Engine Fundamentals.
5. History of the Heat Engine.
7. Diesel Engine Powertrain Assemblies.
8. Diesel Engine Feedback Assembly.
9. Engine Housing Components.
10. Diesel Engine Lubrication Systems.
11. Engine Cooling Systems.
12. Engine Breathing.
13. Engine Retarders.
14. Engine Service Procedure.
15. Diesel Engine Removal, Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection, and Reassembly.
16. Diesel Engine Run-in and Performance Testing.
Part II: DIESEL FUEL SYSTEMS.
17. Chemistry and Combustion in Diesel Engines.
18. Diesel Fuel Characteristics.
19. Fuel Sub Systems.
20. Fuel Injection Basics and Governor Principles.
21. Injector Nozzles.
22. Port Helix Metering Fuel Systems.
23. Inlet Metering Rotary Distributor Pumps.
24. Sleeve Metering Rotary Distributor Pumps.
25. Single Actuator EUI Fuel Systems.
26. Twin Actuator EUI Fuel Systems.
27. HEUI Fuel System.
28. Electronic Unit Pump (EUP) Fuel Systems.
29. HPI-TP Fuel System.
30. Common Rail Fuel Systems.
31. Amplified CR Systems.
Part III: ENGINE MANAGEMENT, ALTERNATE POWER, AND EMISSIONS.
32. Review of Electrical and Electronics Fundamentals.
33. Networking and Communications in the Trucking Industry.
34. Vehicle Computers.
35. ESTs and SIS.
36. Electrical Wiring, Connector, and Terminal Repair.
38. Natural Gas (CNG and LPG), Biodiesel, and Alternate Fuels.
39. Electric and Hydraulic Hybrid Drives.
40. Bosch EDC Systems.
41. Caterpillar ADEM Management Systems.
42. Cummins Management Systems.
43. Detroit Diesel DDEC - Management Systems.
44. Navistar Management Systems.
45. Paccar Management Systems.
46. Volvo and Mack Management Systems.
47. Emissions Management.
48. Exhaust After-treatment Systems.
49. Failure Analysis.
50. Troubleshooting and Diagnostics.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and a NATEF correlation grid.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. The Instructor’s Resource CD includes PowerPoint slides, Instructor’s Guide, Image Gallery, and a NATEF correlation grid.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is designed to help the student retain key chapter content. Included are chapter objective questions, key-term definition queries, and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems, along with an extensive number of NATEF job sheets.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.