Request for consultation
This best-selling medical terminology resource is now even better – with a newly robust suite of supplement options for instructors, innovative built-in learning tools for students, and extensive updates reflecting the most accurate, current industry terms today. MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY: A PROGRAMMED SYSTEMS APPROACH, 10E uses a unique word-building programmed approach that teaches students to break down key medical terms into their roots, prefixes, and suffixes. This programmed-learning format requires active participation through reading, writing, answering questions, labeling, repetition, and providing immediate feedback. By using didactic color, engaging review activities, back-of-the-book flash cards, and an accompanying CD-ROM with interactive learning activities, this book provides a complete package for building a comprehensive entry-level knowledge of medical language for students with little or no previous experience. Now in its 10th edition, this book is a proven resource that is easy and fun to use. Teaching medical terminology has never been easier.
- Fully updated to ensure content is thorough, accurate, and reflective of current industry standards.
- Provides hands-on practice opportunities with all-new Case Study Investigations (CSI), which feature excerpts from actual medical records and a vocabulary challenge.
- Engages students in the learning process with the brand-new StudyWARE™ Connection CD-ROM that provides practice quizzes, animations, image labeling and other interactive games.
- Offers practical, handy tools to test student retention and increase knowledge, like the new removable Flashcards.
- Enhances user experience by now offering podcasts for online downloads, complete with the most challenging terms and illustrations where possible.
- New – Instructor Resources CD which includes Powerpoints, Computerized Test Bank and Instructor's Manual.
- The "Professional Profiles" feature describes the function and credentials of various allied health professions and provide information about possible career paths.
- Improves retention and makes learning fun with "Interesting Facts" that offer additional information, spelling tips and tricks, and dictionary exercises.
- Reinforces the learning process with the word-building system approach - highlighting word roots and combining forms in bold, and prefixes and suffixes in two different colors.
- The book transcends simple memorization with audio CDs that provide students with pronunciation practice of the terms.
- Supplements book's content with the also available Web Tutor Advantage, which provides opportunities for testing on WebCT or Blackboard platforms.
Unit 2 Surgical Suffixes, Dermatology, Hematology and Diagnostic Imaging.
Unit 3 Oncology and the Central Nervous System.
Unit 4 Orthopedics, Osteopathy, and Body Regions.
Unit 5 Pathology, Otorhinolaryngology, and Prefixes dys, brady, tachy, poly, syn.
Unit 6 Urology and Gynecology.
Unit 7 Gastroenterology.
Unit 8 Neurology Psychology, Anesthesiology, and Vascular Terminology.
Unit 9 Anatomic Terms.
Unit 10 Surgery, Diabetes, Immunology, Lesions, and Prefixes of Numbers and Direction.
Unit 11 Descriptive Prefixes, Asepsis, and Pharmacology.
Unit 12 Prefixes of Location and Medication Administration.
Unit 13 Respiratory System and Pulmonology.
Unit 14 Word Parts for Night, Sleep, Split, Skeletal System, and Orthopedics.
Unit 15 Ophthalmology, Endocrinology, and Medical Specialties.
Appendix A ISMP's List of Error Prone-Abbreviations, Symbols and Dose Designations.
Appendix B Abbreviations.
Appendix C Additional Word Parts.
Appendix D Glossary of Proper Names of Diseases and Procedures.
Appendix E Answers to Unit Review Activities and Case Studies.
Appendix F Puzzle Solutions Index of Terms Index of Word Parts Learned.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Electronic Classroom Manager
The Instructor Resources supplement commonly includes slides in PowerPoint for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
Succeed in your medical terminology course and have fun with Studyware software! This dynamic resource is packed with interactive games, quizzes, and other resources that your mastery of key concepts in the corresponding chapter in your textbook.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.