Request for consultation
MATHEMATICS: ITS POWER AND UTILITY, Tenth Edition, combines a unique and practical focus on real-world problem solving allowing even the least-interested or worst-prepared student to appreciate the beauty and value of math while mastering basic concepts and skills they will apply to their daily lives. The first half of the book explores the POWER and historic impact of mathematics and helps students harness that POWER by developing an effective approach to problem solving. The second half builds upon this foundation by exploring the UTLITY and application of math concepts to a wide variety of real-life situations: money management; handling of credit cards; inflation; purchase of a car or home; the effective use of probability, statistics, and surveys; and many other topics of life interest. Unlike many mathematics texts, MATHEMATICS: ITS POWER AND UTILITY, Tenth Edition, assumes a basic working knowledge of arithmetic, making it effective even for students with no exposure to algebra. Completely self-contained chapters make it easy to teach to a customized syllabus or support the precise pace and emphasis that students require.
- The "Power/Utility of Math" section openers (formerly called "In This World: The Power/Utility of Math") have been rewritten. These introductory boxes are designed to engage students by encouraging them to think about how the material in the section relates to their life.
- The "Problem of the Day" feature in the end-of-section exercise sets is now called "The Power/Utility of Math" to better reflect its direct connection to the section opener with the same name. These exercises, now boxed and prominently titled, can be found at the beginning of each end-of-section exercise set.
- An outline of "Essential Ideas," together with problems that correspond with these ideas, has been moved from the end-of-chapter review material to each chapter opener.
- Over 300 new problems have been included.
- The Chapter Summary and Review sections have been reorganized and redesigned, making them easier for students to use in identifying their strengths and weaknesses.
- Section 7.5, which is included in the chapter on applications of percent, now includes information on 401(K) and retirement.
- Section 7.6, which is included in the chapter on applications of percent, now contains information on amortization, including an amortization table.
- A new section called "Connectives and Truth Tables" has been added to chapter 8, sets and logic.
- Each chapter opener helps students anticipate upcoming topics. Topics included in "The Power of Math" or "The Utility of Math" section openers are identified. A list of essential ideas tells students what they need to know after they have worked through the chapter.
- Each section of the book begins with an introductory box called either "The Power of Math" or "The Utility of Math." These introductory boxes are designed to get students to THINK about how the material in the section relates to their life. The first few problems at the end of every section are also designed to engage students in this way.
- Throughout this book, notes explain steps or offer hints about what students should look for as they read.
- At the beginning of the book, hints for success set students off on the right foot. If they follow this advice, their chance for success in this course will be greatly increased.
- Street signs (e.g., a red "Stop" sign or a yellow "Caution" sign) throughout the text serve as guideposts to help students when they are most likely to need help.
- Historical Notes show some of the "humanness" of mathematicians.
- Procedure boxes give step-by-step procedures for important processes; definitions and properties are also highlighted in boxes.
- Problems are organized by difficulty into Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3. The problems are also separated into essential ideas, drill and practice, applications, and "right or wrong?" problems. There are Sudoku problems, puzzle problems, and even Tergiversation problems.
- The end-of-chapter material has been carefully crafted to help students study effectively and time-efficiently, and to clearly point to areas where more review may be required in their preparations.
- Individual Projects give students a chance to expand their horizons and research problems on their own.
- Team Projects provide students with a chance to interact together in a job situation, and thereby learn to work together as a team.
- The first half of the book, "The Power of Math," develops some ideas in arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. The second half of the book, "The Utility of Math," develops the ideas around mathematics that students will use outside of the classroom.
1. Arithmetic, Calculators, and Problem Solving.
Math Anxiety. Formulating the Problem. Fractions and Decimals. Rounding and Estimation. Exponents and Prime Factorization. Common Fractions. Adding and Subtracting Fractions. Hindu-Arabic Numeration System. Different Numeration System. Summary and Review.
2. Sets of Numbers.
Symbol Shock. Addition of Integers. Subtraction of Integers. Multiplication of Integers. Division of Integers. Rational and Irrational Numbers. Summary and Review.
3. Introduction to Algebra.
Polynomials. Similar Terms. Simplification. Equations. Solving Equations. Problem Solving with Algebra. Inequalities. Summary and Review.
4. Percents and Problem Solving.
Ratio and Proportion. Problem Solving with Proportions. Percent. Problem Solving with Percents. Summary and Review.
5. Introduction to Geometry.
Euclidean Geometry. Angles and Polynomials. Triangles. Similar Triangles. Summary and Review.
6. Measurement and Problem Solving.
Precision, Accuracy, and Estimation. Perimeter. Area. Volume and Capacity. Miscellaneous Measurements. Converting Units. Summary and Review.
Part II: APPLICATIONS: THE UTILITY OF MATHEMATICS.
7. Applications of Percent.
Discount, Sale Price, and Sales Tax. Simple Interest. Buying on Credit. Credit Card Interest. Compound Interest. Buying a Home. Summary and Review.
8. Sets and Logic.
Introduction to Sets. Set Relationship. Operations with Sets. Venn Diagrams. Survey Problems Using Sets. Inductive and Deductive Reasoning. Connectives and Truth Tables. Summary and Review.
Introduction to Probability. Probability Models. Odds and Conditional Probability. Mathematical Expectation. Summary and Review.
Frequency Distribution and Graphs. Measures of Central Tendency. Measures of Position. Measures of Dispersion. The Normal Curve and Sampling. Summary and Review.
Cartesian Coordinate System. Functions. Lines. Systems and Inequalities. Graphing Curves. Summary and Review.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Mathematics: its Power and Utility, 10th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching, including Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book. You can create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. You'll also find a link to the Solution Builder online solutions manual, allowing you to easily build solution sets for homework or exams.
Student Survival and Solutions Manual
The Student Survival and Solutions Manual provides helpful study aids and contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
CourseMate Instant Access
Complement your text and course content with study and practice materials. Cengage Learning's Liberal Arts Mathematics CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Liberal Arts Mathematics CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Student Survival and Solutions Manual
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.