Request for consultation
MATH AND SCIENCE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN, Eighth Edition, introduces readers to engaging math and science experiences for early childhood and early elementary education programs, and provides an organized, sequential approach to creating a developmentally appropriate math and science curriculum. The content aligns with key guidelines and standards: The National Association for the Education of Young Children's (NAEYC) Professional Preparation Standards (2010); Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) guidelines; Common Core Mathematics Standards; and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). The book also addresses STEM/STEAM and the essential domains of child growth and development during the crucial birth-through-eight age range. A valuable resource for the student/future teacher, working professional, or involved parent, MATH AND SCIENCE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN emphasizes the interrelatedness of math and science and how they can be integrated into all other curriculum areas.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter now correlate with main headings within the chapter and with the end-of-chapter summaries. The objectives focus students' reading and show them what they should know, understand, and be able to demonstrate or apply after completing the chapter.
- Updated coverage of important topics in the field includes discussion of STEM/STEAM (with engineering now included in science and math chapters), material on multicultural and English Language Learner (ELL) classroom learning and strategies as well as multicultural integration, inclusion of science performance expectations, and expanded discussion of constructivism.
- Science activities and projects are now divided into Next Generation and conventional approaches, as NGSS is just being introduced and may not be familiar to all readers.
- References have been updated throughout and are included at the end of each chapter, and the Further Reading and Resources lists now include only the most recent items along with some classics.
- Improved integration of early childhood and primary grades professional standards helps students make connections between what they learn in the text and the standards. A list of standards to be covered--including NAEYC's Professional Preparation Standards (2010), Developmentally Appropriate Practice (DAP) guidelines, Common Core Mathematics Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)--now appears at the beginning of each chapter. Standards-related content is highlighted with icons. A complete list of the standards addressed in the book appears in a chart on the inside covers.
- TeachSource Digital Downloads are downloadable and sometimes customizable resources that allow students to immediately implement and apply the textbook's content in the field. Students can download these tools and keep them forever, enabling preservice teachers to begin building a library of practical, professional resources. A TeachSource Digital Download label identifies these items throughout the text.
- MindTap™ for Education is a first-of-its kind digital solution that prepares future teachers by providing them with the knowledge, skills, and competencies they must demonstrate to earn an education degree and state licensure, and to begin a successful career. Through activities based on real-life teaching situations, MindTap elevates students' thinking by giving them experiences in applying concepts, practicing skills, and evaluating decisions--guiding them to become reflective educators.
- TeachSource Videos present footage from the classroom to help students relate key chapter content to real-life scenarios. The videos are introduced in the text, accompanied by critical-thinking questions that provide opportunities for in-class or online discussion and reflection.
- Brain Connection boxes describe recent brain research related to the chapter material. Topics include the hope that brain-based research could someday provide clues to the best classroom practices for children with disabilities (Chapter 5), brain-based benefits of writing (Chapter 6), and promoting brain development (Chapter 12).
- Updated Technology for Young Children boxes address the increasing role that technology tools are playing in children's education. Each box introduces resources for a particular topic or discusses related research.
- This edition has been streamlined and reorganized for easier use, with 12 chapters rather than the 41 units in previous editions.
- Recent insights on instruction for students with developmental delays or special needs help readers think about and determine how they will adapt their teaching style to include all children.
- The book integrates math and science experiences into other curriculum areas, following the current direction in early childhood education to promote integrated learning. It can be used in integrated courses or separate math and science methods courses.
- The content stresses problem-solving as the basis for concept development, and follows national standards and guidelines.
- Assessment and instructional tasks are presented in developmental sequence.
- The text integrates adaptations throughout for children with exceptionalities, and includes coverage of preschool science.
1. Development, Acquisition, Problem Solving, and Assessment.
2. Basics of Science, Engineering, and Technology.
Part II: FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS AND SKILLS.
3. Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Concepts and Skills.
4. More Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Concepts and Skills:
Early Geometry, Parts and Wholes, and Applications of Fundamental Concepts to Science and Engineering.
Part III: APPLYING FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS.
5. Pre-K/K Ordering, Measurement, and Data Collection and Analysis.
6. Integrating the Curriculum.
Part IV: SYMBOLS AND HIGHER LEVEL CONCEPTS AND ACTIVITIES.
7. Transitioning from Preschool to Kindergarten to Primary.
Part V: MATHEMATICS CONCEPTS AND OPERATIONS FOR THE PRIMARY GRADES.
8. Whole Number Operations, Patterns and Fractions.
9. Place Value, Geometry and Data Analysis, and Measurement.
Part VI: INVESTIGATIONS IN PRIMARY SCIENCE.
10. Overview of Primary Science, Life Science, and Physical Science.
11. Earth and Space Sciences, Environmental Awareness, Engineering, Technology and Science Applications.
Part VII: THE MATH AND SCIENCE ENVIRONMENT.
12. Materials and Resources and Math and Science in the Classroom and in the Home.
“This is a comprehensive text that addresses children's math and science learning in a developmentally appropriate way. Attention is given to current research, relevant issues, and innovative approaches to teaching young children. The foundations of math and science learning are presented clearly and then integrated in a way that can be applied to an early childhood setting for children in preprimary and primary grades.”
“This text provides students with a clear understanding of basic science and math concepts, as well as support for translating this information into classroom practice.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The online Instructor's Manual contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources. For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, matching, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture, by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the Math and Science for Young Children test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.