Request for consultation
Teach your students how to think analytically and make better decisions as future business leaders with MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS: APPLICATIONS, STRATEGIES AND TACTICS, 14E. This timely edition illustrates how today’s effective managers apply economic theory and techniques to solve real-world everyday decision problems. The book’s seasoned author team McGuigan/Moyer/Harris balances a solid foundation of traditional microeconomic theory with extensive exploration of the latest analytical tools in managerial economics. Students master game-theoretic tactics, information economics, and organizational architecture.
- NEW, MINDTAP® ECONOMICS DIGITAL SOLUTION TRANSFORMS LEARNING: Available for the first time with this edition, MindTap® Economics digital learning solution helps you engage and transform today’s students into critical thinkers. Through paths of dynamic assignments and applications that you can personalize, real-time course analytics and an accessible reader, MindTap® helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
- NEW Aplia WITHIN MINDTAP® CONNECTS CONCEPTS TO THE REAL WORLD: Aplia significantly improves outcomes and elevates thinking by increasing student effort and engagement. Developed by leading teachers, Aplia assignments connect concepts to the real world and focus on the unique course challenges facing students. In just 10 years, more than one billion answers have been submitted through Aplia, representing millions of students who have come to class more engaged and better prepared.
- NEW INDIVIDUAL CLASS SESSION PAGES AND TOOLS MAKE CLASS PREPARATION SIMPLE: Now you can easily access the authors’ individual class session page selections from this edition as well as caselette exercises, problem sets, and multiple-choice quizzes to assist in developing an engaging course.
- NEW INDIVIDUAL CLASS SESSION PREPARATION QUESTIONS FACILITATE IN-CLASS DISCUSSION: These intriguing Class Preparation Questions motivate students to think at a higher level and prompt meaningful whole class discussions.
- INFOTRAC® STUDENT COLLECTIONS PROVIDES INSTANT ACCESS TO MANAGERIAL ECONOMIC RESEARCH: With InfoTrac, your students gain convenient access to hundreds of scholarly and popular articles related to managerial economic through a user-friendly database at http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- FEATURES STRENGTHEN DECISION-MAKING SKILLS: “What Went Right/What Went Wrong” features, now included in all chapters, enable students to apply what they have learned to real-business decisions and examine the positive and negative outcomes of management decisions. These insightful features show the relevance of managerial economic insights to avoiding widely discussed corporate mistakes. Students learn how to critically evaluate good and bad decisions and anticipate the subsequent effects.
- SESSION-SIZE PACKETS OFFER READINGS, ASSIGNMENTS, AND MORE FOR YOUR FLEXIBILITY: The latest content from this edition is now available in session packet filled with student exercises, author videos, text readings, and assignments. Aplia quizzes offer insightful feedback and subtle as well as basic insights regarding correct and incorrect answers.
- REAL-WORLD EMPHASIS HIGHLIGHTS HANDS-ON PRACTICE: This edition provides more than 300 applications and examples from today’s practice that offer hands-on experience with the decision-making challenges students will face as managers -- as well as the tools most effective for solving those challenges. Each chapter opens with a unique Managerial Challenge illustrating an economic analysis problem related to the chapter’s material that today’s managers could face.
- MORE INTERNATIONAL COVERAGE EMPHASIZES BUSINESS ISSUES IN CHINA, INDIA, AND THE GLOBAL MARKETPLACE: This edition integrates international issues throughout, illustrating how they relate to managerial efficiency and shareholder wealth maximization. Additionally, intriguing “International Perspectives” illustrate how students can apply chapter concepts to problems facing today’s managers in an increasingly global climate. Readers gain a better understanding of the international impact of economics.
- AUTHORS OFFER DIVERSE APPROACHES TO KEY ANALYTICAL CONCEPTS: This edition presents key analytical concepts in several different ways -- including tabular analysis, graphical analysis, spreadsheet, and algebraic analysis -- making difficult material more accessible. Your students are able to learn in the format with which they are most comfortable. When elementary differential calculus is used, at least one alternative mode of analysis also is presented. The book also offers a strong finance emphasis.
About the Authors.
PART I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Introduction and Goals of the Firm.
2. Fundamental Economic Concepts.
PART II: DEMAND AND FORECASTING.
3. Demand Analysis.
4. Estimating Demand.
5. Business and Economic Forecasting.
6. Managing in the Global Economy.
PART III: PRODUCTION AND COST.
7. Production Economics.
7B. Production Economics of Renewable and Exhaustible Natural Resources.
8. Cost Analysis.
9. Applications of Cost Theory.
PART IV: PRICING AND OUTPUT DECISIONS: STRATEGY AND TACTICS.
10. Prices, Output, and Strategy: Pure and Monopolistic Competition.
11. Price and Output Determination: Monopoly and Dominant Firms.
12. Price and Output Determination: Oligopoly.
13. Best-Practice Tactics: Game Theory.
13A. Entry Deterrence and Accommodation Games.
14. Pricing Techniques and Analysis.
PART V: ORGANIZATIONAL ARCHITECTURE AND REGULATION.
15. Contracting, Governance, and Organizational Form.
15A. Auction Design and Information Economics.
16. Government Regulation.
17. Long-Term Investment Analysis.
A. The Time Value of Money.
C. Differential Calculus Techniques in Management .
D. Check Answers to Selected End-of-Chapter Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Companion Website (with Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, PowerPoint®)
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Easily access and download password-protected PowerPoint® presentations, images, the instructor’s manual, test bank, and more that reflect the latest changes in this edition.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.