Request for consultation
MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING, 7E makes teaching and learning managerial accounting meaningful, fun, and relatable for both you and your students. This edition has been revised with an emphasis on showing students “Here’s How It’s Used.” This unique learning approach along with new brief video clips and relevant examples encourages and enables students to develop a deeper understanding of managerial accounting and its implications for business. Additionally, a new organization logically progresses from why managerial accounting is important, to what it is, to where the information comes from, and how it is best used to make business decisions. Students even explore emerging topics of interest to them, such as sustainability, quality cost, lean accounting, international issues, enterprise risk management, and forensic and fraud accounting.
- NEW ANIMATED “HERE’S HOW IT’S USED” CONCEPT CLIPS INSTANTLY ENGAGE STUDENTS. These brief captivating video clips use a visual approach to clarify and help students understand the chapter’s most important or challenging concepts, such as equivalent units of production, and overhead application.
- NEW “HERE’S HOW IT’S USED” EXAMPLES OFFER DIRECT, FUN AND RELATABLE APPLICATIONS. These intriguing, practical examples relate chapter concepts to: the student’s own life, small businesses, sustainable enterprise data analytics and the actual companies from the chapter-opening scenarios. Examples are also drawn from, Kicker, the actual car stereo company used to illustrate a managerial accounting throughout the text.
- NEW ORGANIZATION OFFERS LOGICAL PROGRESSION. Content flows from WHY managerial accounting is important to WHAT it is, to WHERE managerial accounting information comes from and, HOW it is used in decision making. For example, Absorption and Variable Costing are now explained in the Cost Behavior chapter. Flexible budgeting is in the profit planning chapter and overhead variances are in the standard costing chapter for a focused discussion in a text ideal for one semester. You will find greater flexibility as the first four chapters cover key content for the variety of topics that follow.
- NEW CHAPTER 15 ADDRESSES EMERGING TOPICS IN MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING. Students are introduced to the managerial implications of issues of high interest to them. These topics include sustainability, quality cost, lean accounting, international issues, enterprise risk management, and the role of the managerial accountant in forensic/fraud accounting.
- NEW BRIEF EXERCISES OFFER A VARIETY OF VALUABLE STUDENT PRACTICE. These new exercises at the end of each chapter provide both an “A Set” and a “B Set” for your increased flexibility in making assignments.
- NEW SHORT SELF-TEST QUIZZES ENSURE STUDENT COMPREHENSION. These brief quizzes at the end of each chapter section let students assessing their learning and progress.
- NEW CengageNOW™v2 PROVIDES THE CONTROL AND CUSTOMIZATION YOU NEED TO IMPROVE OUTCOMES. This updated online tool contains a practice test for each chapter, allowing students to practice their ability to apply accounting concepts in a non-threatening environment. CengageNOW™v2 gives them more confidence as they take exams.
- “EXPERIENCE MANAGERIAL DECISIONS” VIGNETTES OPEN EACH CHAPTER WITH ACCOMPANYING VIDEOS IN CENGAGENOW™V2. Students see how familiar companies, such as Hard Rock Cafe, Cold Stone Creamery, Washburn Guitars, Google, Apple, and more, use accounting information to make better decisions. The chapter references the featured company throughout to emphasize the importance of managerial accounting concepts in the real world. Corresponding videos from the popular Experience Accounting Video Series further support the vignettes.
- “ETHICAL DECISIONS” FEATURES PREPARE STUDENTS TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS. To succeed in today’s business climate, students must be able to analyze business situations and make thoughtful ethical decisions. The text weaves “Ethical Decisions” features throughout each chapter to encourage students to develop these essential skills and consider the ethical implications of their actions in every situation.
- EXAMPLES AND ACTIVITIES TEACH STUDENTS TO SOLVE MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING PROBLEMS. Clear, step-by-step examples and selected end-of-chapter activities are now carefully linked to enable students to quickly gather the information necessary to solve managerial accounting problems efficiently. This approach enables readers to focus on the implications of the decision rather than calculations.
- MASTERY PROBLEMS IN CENGAGENOW™V2 INCREASE STUDENTS’ KEY STRENGTHS AND SKILLS. These proven, scenario-based exercises are designed to help reinforce your students’ knowledge of important concepts. Students, strengthen their analytical skills as they, demonstrate mastery of critical concepts.
1. Introduction to Managerial Accounting.
2. Basic Managerial Accounting Concepts.
WHAT Is Managerial Accounting?
3. Cost Behavior, Cost Forecasting, and Segmented Income Statements.
WHERE Does Managerial Accounting Come From?
4. Job-Order Costing and Normal Cost (Overhead Application).
5. Activity-Based Costing and Management
6. Process Costing.
HOW Is Managerial Accounting USED for Decision Making?
7. Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis.
8. Tactical Decision-Making and Relevant Costing.
9. Profit Planning and Flexible Budgets.
10. Standard Costing and Variance Analysis.
11. Performance Evaluation and Decentralization.
12. Capital Investment Decisions.
13. Emerging Topics in Managerial Accounting: Sustainability, Quality Cost, Lean Accounting, International Issues, Enterprise Risk Management, The Managerial Accountant in Forensic/Fraud Accounting
14. Statement of Cash Flows.
15. Financial Statement Analysis.
“We have used the Mowen book for most of the ten years I’ve been at Oklahoma State. We are happy with the book and think it does a good job conveying information and facilitating classroom interactions with a wide variety of students.”
“I like how the book is concise, gives lots of examples, the cornerstone exercises at the end of each chapter build on the previous question, and the CengageNOW component is invaluable to the students and the instructors.”
“I have used the textbook for several years and enjoy using it because it is written clearly, well-organized, and rich in examples.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Solutions Manual
Find all of the worked-out, step-by-step solutions you need to check students’ comprehension efficiently with this convenient Solutions Manual.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Expand students’ understanding and streamline class preparation with the numerous instructor and student resources available on this edition’s robust companion website. Easily download password-protected instructor resources, including the Solution’s Manual, Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint® slides. Students can review concepts using PowerPoint® slides, online quizzes, and other interactive learning tools.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.