Request for consultation
Understanding the complex legal and ethical principles that govern health information management is more important than ever. To help you successfully navigate these legal issues, LEGAL AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT is revised, updated, and expanded, providing the opportunity to focus on law and ethics as they relate to HIM. Key topics include the role of social media in health care, expansion of existing materials on e-discovery, compliance, completeness of the health record, breaches of confidentiality, and much more. Features include enrichment activities, mapping to CAHIIM standards, and interactive quizzing and case studies to help develop practical application and high-level problem solving skills. Written by a seasoned HIM professional and lawyer, LEGAL AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, 4th Edition provides a complete solution for understanding the legal and ethical concerns that safeguard health care information today. A MindTap™ is available to give you unprecedented online course management.
- New materials covering the role of social media in health care, health information management, and employment; use of text messaging; types of search warrants; and expansion of existing materials on e-discovery, compliance, completeness of the health record, and breaches of confidentiality.
- Up-to-date with the latest health care legislation, including the HITECH-HIPAA Omnibus Final Rule, the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments, and guidance from the US Department of Health & Human Services on proper communications between healthcare providers and family members, appropriate sharing of information related to mental health, and proper record disposal.
- CAHIIM Standards: Revised chapter content and objectives meet CAHIIM curriculum standards and competencies for accreditation of associate and baccalaureate programs.
- Case Studies, Review questions, and Enrichment Activities provide an opportunity to think and apply concepts.
- Brand-new MindTap interactive software offered for this edition, containing ebook chapters, case studies, quizzing, flash card study aids, and more.
- Feature boxes highlight key information about Ethics, the Electronic Health Record, HIPAA, ARRA, and GINA.
- Instructor Resources: The full instructor package takes the busy work out of your course with a complete test bank powered by Cognero, PowerPoint® slides that coordinate with chapters, and a robust Instructor's Manual.
- Valuable Ethics: Extensive coverage weaves ethics into discussions throughout the chapters and includes material on ethical standards, ethical decisions and challenges, and law and ethics in the workplace.
- Interactive Learning: Robust online MindTap software challenges learners to test their comprehension of critical chapter concepts.
- Unrivaled Expertise: Author Dana McWay is an attorney and certified Health Information Management professional with experience on the AHIMA's ethics committee and more than three decades in health care and law.
- HIM Focus: A sharp focus on the particular legal and ethical issues that impact HIM professionals every day makes LEGAL AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, 4th Edition a must-have resource for health care workers in any setting.
1. Workings of the American Legal System.
2. Court Systems and Legal Procedures.
3. Judicial Process of Health Information.
4. Principles of Liability.
Part II: AN OVERVIEW OF ETHICS.
5. Ethical Standards.
6. Ethical Decisions and Challenges.
7. Bioethical Issues.
Part III: LEGAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES CENTRAL TO HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT.
8. Patient Record Requirements.
9. Confidentiality and Informed Consent.
10. Access to Health Information.
11. Specialized Patient Records.
Part IV: SPECIALIZED AREAS OF CONCERN IN HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT.
12. Risk Management, Quality Management, and Utilization Management.
13. Information Systems.
14. Health-Care Fraud and Abuse.
15. Law and Ethics in the Workplace.
Appendix A: Table of Cases.
Appendix B: List of Common Acronyms.
Appendix C: Sample HIPAA Privacy Notices.
Appendix D: Patient Care Partnership.
Appendix E: Sample Forms- Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, Health Care Directive, and Accompanying HIPAA Form.
Appendix F: Selected Laws Affecting HIM.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, and then deliver tests from your LMS, classroom, or wherever you want.