Request for consultation
As technology, legislation, and industry practices continue to evolve rapidly, the health information management profession has become increasingly dynamic, complex, and essential. TODAY'S HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT, Second Edition, helps your students prepare for success in this high-demand field by mastering both the fundamental principles and cutting-edge practices that define modern HIM. While maintaining the text's proven instructional approach, the Second Edition includes revised and updated content reflecting the latest trends, technology, and industry best practices, including new material on HIPAA, e-HIM, information systems, data quality, informatics, and current CAHIIM standards and RHIT/RHIA certification exam requirements. In addition, the text is now supported by valuable new supplemental teaching and learning tools, including online and distance learning resources like CourseMate, WebTutor™, and a Premium Website. Perfect for aspiring technicians and managers, as well as HIM professionals working toward a degree or certification, this trusted text includes everything your students need to succeed in one of today's fastest-growing and most rewarding professions.
- Extensive new and updated material on important trends and key topics in HIM, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, systems architecture, e-discovery, genetic information, ICD-10, and the role of social media in healthcare.
- New chapter on Informatics and the electronic health record.
- Features revised forms, examples, web resources, tables, and illustrations to provide the latest information in an at-a-glance format
- New critical thinking, review questions, and Internet exercises help students assess their understanding of chapter material and apply what they learn to foster retention and mastery.
- Expanded instructor learning package now includes online and distance learning resources like CourseMate, WebTutor™, and a Premium Website, which feature new and updated questions, cases, and content to help students master the chapter material.
- Integrated approach features information on HIPAA, e-HIM, and informatics throughout, making it easy for students to relate key principles and practices to important real-world considerations that affect HIM professionals today.
- Maps to current AHIMA curriculum domains and includes RHIT and RHIA exam outlines at the start of each chapter
- Promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities through generous use of real-world examples, case studies, and hands-on enrichment activities
- CourseMate available with quizzes, flashcards, and games to foster self-paced learning
1. Health Care Delivery Systems.
2. The Health Information Management Profession.
3. Legal Issues.
4. Ethical Standards.
Part II: CLINICAL DATA MANAGEMENT.
5. Health Care Data Content and Structures.
6. Nomenclatures and Classification Systems.
7. Quality Health Care Management.
8. Health Statistics.
Part III: TECHNOLOGY.
10. Database Management.
11. Information Systems and Technology.
Part IV: MANAGEMENT.
13. Management Organization.
14. Human Resource Management.
15. Financial Management.
16. Reimbursement Methodologies.
Appendix A: Common HIM Abbreviations.
Appendix B: Web Resources.
Appendix C: Sample HIPAA Notices of Privacy Practices.
Appendix D: Selected Laws Affecting HIM.
Appendix E: Selected HIPAA Regulations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, and then deliver tests from your LMS, classroom, or wherever you want.