Request for consultation
The new second edition LEARNING WITH COMPUTERS I (Level Green, Grade 7) is a revision of the first edition project-based text to cover Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010. There is also a companion text, LEARNING WITH COMPUTERS II (Level Orange, Grade 8). This series for middle school students delivers a strong foundation in keyboarding and computer applications. In this project based text, students are introduced to the Explorers Club where four young members of the club – Luis, Ray, Julie, and Lin – guide students on Microsoft Office explorations. Along the way, each student keeps a personal journal about their explorations. The text offers multiple opportunities to reinforce and maintain basic keyboarding, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, graphics, and Internet skills. Students are also introduced to new grade-level appropriate computer skills based on the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS). Additionally, the text emphasizes research, reading, and writing activities relevant to social studies, science, math, and language arts curriculum. The text for use with Windows applications, is divided into 4 units; Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations (Graphics, Multimedia, and Integration) and Databases. Each unit contains multiple projects for a total of 18 projects per text, plus an introductory project. Each project focuses on a group of grade-level appropriate objectives for particular computer applications. Several hands-on activities within each project are designed around these objectives. This one-semester text can be used as a stand alone or in conjunction with South-Western’s MicroType keyboarding software. MicroType is an engaging, easy-to-use program that teaches new-key learning and skill building. Features include 3-D animations, videos, and fun interactive games.
- Projects cover Microsoft Office 2010 and also work with Office 2007.
- Topics correlate to new NETS standards.
- Century 21's nationally adopted document formats are used for reports and letters.
- "Summer Internship" simulation projects integrate computer applications and build to a capstone project.
- Asian female Explorer character Lin adds more diversity and fairness.
- Career Cluster Activities added for each Project: "Explorer’s Club Career Day"
- New supplemental exercises on the IRCD are for 1) more skills practice, 2) exploring new software features, and 3) Internet research.
- MicroType software correlates with text to provide additional keyboarding practice.
- Updated, fresher internal design.
- Text is divided into four units: word processing, worksheet, presentation, and database; begins with a pre-assessment to identify the student's basic computer skills; and ends with an objective unit test and hands-on computer skills assessments.
- Each unit contains activities for research, collaboration, oral presentations, and critical thinking.
- Text includes activities for research, reading, and writing that are relevant to social studies, science, math, and language arts curriculums.
- Projects include activities that allow students to demonstrate and practice computer skills using cross-curricular activities, quizzes, and hands-on computer skills post-assessments.
Getting Started with Computers.
1. Exploring the Great Wall of China.
2. Sailing into Edo Bay with Commodore Perry.
3. Touring Shakespeare's Globe.
4. Exploring Greek Mythology.
5. Battling Antarctica with Shackleton.
6. Balancing the Three Branches of Government.
PART II: WORKSHEETS.
7. Discovering the Worlds Five Great Oceans.
8. Identifying Biosphere Reserves.
9. Budgeting for a Wildlife Reserve.
10. Journeying to Oceania.
PART III: PRESENTATIONS AND MULTIMEDIA.
11. Understanding Photosynthesis.
12. Investigating Volcanoes.
13. Describing the Scientific Method.
14. Making Sourdough Bread.
15. Exploring the Mind of Leonardo.
PART IV: DATABASES.
16. Remembering the Alamo.
17. Cataloging the Native Arts of the Americas.
18. Planning a Well-balanced Diet.
"The computer instructions were great. The Explorer’s Guide with the Objectives, Trail Markers, Apply It!, and Check Point all fall within guidelines for student learning. There were many opportunities for learning each application. The use of positive comments "Great Job." "What a super looking chart." That will definitely excite the middle school student.""I especially found the Project Skills Review of enormous value.The Ergonomics tips were the BEST. This was my first opportunity to learn Ergonomics at such a professional level. The information is incorporated in the student text. How wonderful." -- Bonnie W. Brown, Clinton Junior High School, Clinton, MS
"The manuscript covers all of the skills the middle school student will need to complete school assignments in a very professional manner. It is also an in-depth look at skills employees need in a work related setting in a fun and easy to understand format. The skills learned in the word processing manuscript could actually be applied to an entry-level position in the business world. The "trail marker" describes what the student will be doing and the "apply it" gives the student numbered, easy to follow instructions to complete the task. Each trail marker is short, and easy to read. The teacher guide corresponds with each trail marker, giving the teacher suggested dialogue to present and emphasize what the student will be doing. " -- Barbara Beasley, Taylor Middle High School, Pierson, FL
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
Now all instructor materials are available on one convenient and easy-to-use CD. Designed to help facilitate classroom instruction, this Windows CD has instructor files unique to the textbook. A variety of ancillaries are included to provide online resources, web-based solutions, and application files. All of these tools can help motivate students and enhance their knowledge and course appreciation. This Windows CD contains: data files by project, solutions by project, PowerPoint® presentations, quizzes, quiz solutions, rubrics, post-assessment (Work files), post-assessment data files, post-assessment solution files, character clip art, scope & sequence, links to South-Western’s web site.