Request for consultation
This book is designed to help school counseling students envision how a comprehensive developmental program flows from a review of the literature. Once they see several examples of how to implement a prevention/intervention program in a school system, students could then use the book as a model to develop their own prevention/intervention strategies based on the literature and current thought in the field. In each of the chapters, experts in the school counseling field provide details on how school counselors can transform theory and school counseling literature into workable plans within the context of the National Model for School Counseling Programs, the National Standards for School Counseling Programs, and the Transforming School Counseling Initiative.
1. School Counseling and Academic Achievement (Peggy LaTurno Hines, Indiana State University and Teesue H. Fields, Indiana University Southeast).
2. Improving Academic Achievement Through An Understanding of Learning Styles (Bradley T. Erford, Cheryl Moore-Thomas, and Shelley A. Mazzuca, Loyola College in Maryland).
3. Investigating the World of Work (Susan Sears, The Ohio State University).
4. Fostering Positive Career Development in Children and Adolescents (Spencer G. Niles and Jerry Trusty, The Pennsylvania State University, and Natasha Mitchell, University of Maryland).
5. Equity, Access, and Career Development: Contextual Conflicts (Mary Jackson and Dale Grant, Georgia Southern University).
6. Respecting Differences: Racial and Ethnic Groups (Deryl F. Bailey, The University of Georgia and Mary Bradbury-Bailey, Cedar Shoals High School, Athens, GA).
7. Leadership and Advocacy for Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgendered, and Questioning (LBGTQ) Students: Academic, Career, and Interpersonal Success Strategies (Shannon D. Smith, University of Akron, and Stuart F. Chen-Hayes, Lehman College/ City University of New York).
8. Violence Prevention and Conflict Resolution Education In the Schools (Vivian V. Ripley, Old Dominion University).
9. Loss and Grief in the School Setting (Susan Norris Huss, Bowling Green State University).
10. Alcohol and Other Substance Abuse: The School Counselor's Role (J. Kelly Coker, University of Nevada, Las Vegas).
11. Stress Management: The School Counselor's Role (Vicki Brooks. Lewis and Clark College).
12. School Counselors as Leaders and Advocates In Addressing Sexual Harassment (Carolyn B. Stone, University of North Florida).