Request for consultation
Written by leading scholar and award-winning teacher Julia T. Wood, INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION: EVERYDAY ENCOUNTERS, 8e relates theory and skills directly to students' everyday interactions as it delivers a solid introduction to interpersonal communication. Completely up to date, the new Eighth Edition integrates the latest communication research, including findings from more than 125 new sources. Reflecting the author's expertise in gender and social diversity, the text includes an unparalleled focus on diversity. The new edition also features increased coverage of social media and an expanded emphasis on ethical choices. It addresses such timely issues as emotional intelligence and forgiveness, interracial relationships, safe sex, ways to deal with abuse from intimates, race-related differences between conflict styles, and the power of language. In addition, the text is available with MindTap—a fully online, highly personalized teaching experience that enhances learner engagement and improves outcomes while reducing instructor workload.
- Cultural diversity is woven even more thoroughly throughout the new Eighth Edition. Chapter 2, Communication and Personal Identity, discusses cultural influences on self-presentation. Chapter 3, Perception and Communication, highlights research showing that people from different cultures perceive visual phenomena differently. The discussion of conflict in Chapter 9, Managing Conflict in Relationships, now includes information about cultural influences on how people manage conflict.
- “Communication in Everyday Life” features now include a new “Social Media” subcategory; renamed the “Career” subcategory “Workplace” to reflect the fact that not all work need be considered a “career”; and often conclude with a suggestion for applying the boxed material via reflection, action, or visiting an online site, for which students can provide written responses in MindTap.
- End-of-chapter features have been revised and reorganized to provide a logical learning sequence for all activities, building up to progressively more challenging levels of practice and application. The levels move from the simplest review in the “Chapter Summary” and “Key Concepts” to the most challenging application-”Thinking Critically”.
- Stronger and more integrated attention to social media is featured throughout. Every chapter includes a section that discusses connections between chapter themes and social media. All chapters also include one or more “Communication in Everyday Life” features highlighting social media.
- Expanded attention to ethics includes coverage of ethical choices integrated throughout the text as well as a “Thinking Critically” question focused specifically on ethics at the end of each chapter.
- Chapter 2, Communication and Personal Identity, includes a new section on how we express, or perform, our identities. Highlighting our human ability to choose how to perform our identities, this new material provides a useful complement to existing coverage of ways that others and culture shape identity.
- Now more relevant to contemporary students, Chapter 12, Communication in Families, helps students think about and manage issues that face or will face them and their families.
- Findings from more than 125 new sources reflect the latest research related to interpersonal communication.
- Built on a strengthened learning architecture based on skill building, application, and critical thinking, the Eighth Edition's pedagogy is reflected and integrated carefully into MindTap-a personalized teaching experience with assignments that guide students to analyze, apply, and improve thinking, allowing instructors to measure skills and outcomes with ease. At MindTap students are able to use dynamic technological resources, including interactive videos and simulations; find high-value gradable activities; and practice in an engaging, personalized online environment. MindTap is cued in the text where appropriate to remind students of their options for interactive applications.
- Each chapter now previews chapter content for students with an easily reviewed set of Learning Objectives paired with a chapter outline. Each Learning Objective has been carefully matched with one or more activities that will demonstrate its mastery.
- Bringing chapter concepts to life, the expanded photo program now includes more stills from popular media plus thought-provoking captions.
- Offering additional viewpoints on chapter topics, commentaries by students from colleges and universities around the nation highlight their experiences, insights, and concerns-broadening classroom discussions to include a wide range of perspectives.
- Icons in the margins point students to “Everyday Skills” at the end of each chapter. Covering most Learning Objectives, these exercises emphasize the next level of application-skill building with author support. They may be answered in the book or interactively in MindTap.
- “Communication in Everyday Life” features-with “Diversity”, “Insight”, “Social Media”, and “Workplace” subcategories-spotlight interesting research and examples of interpersonal communication in real life.
- End-of-chapter “Continuing the Conversation” provides a short video case study that continues the conversation of the chapter by showing students how the theories and principles that they just read about show up in everyday life. Additional videos are available for students in MindTap.
- “Assessing Yourself” quizzes in most chapters enable students to apply chapter concepts at the most basic level-themselves.
- “Engaging with Ideas” reflections and “Thinking Critically” activities allow students to reflect and write in more depth-in MindTap-by considering questions about personal, on-the-job, and ethical applications.
1. A First Look at Interpersonal Communication.
2. Communication and Personal Identity.
3. Perception and Communication.
4. The World of Words.
5. The World Beyond Words.
6. Mindful Listening.
Part II: WEAVING COMMUNICATION INTO RELATIONSHIPS.
7. Emotions and Communication.
8. Communication Climate: The Foundation of Personal Relationships.
9. Managing Conflict in Relationships.
10. Friendships in Our Lives.
11. Committed Romantic Relationships.
12. Communication in Families.
Epilogue: Continuing the Conversation.
“I think the approach taken by the textbook is a good combination of communication theory and practical application of interpersonal communication principles. This makes the text easy to read and provides great examples and exercises to practice the concepts discussed so that students learn how to adapt their communication skills. … The instructor supplements also provide everything an instructor needs to develop and maintain their interpersonal communication course.”
“I think the approach to this book is conversational and theoretical, which enables students to clearly understand concepts while making them real to their everyday lives. This is what I want my students to do, which is why I chose to use this textbook. The previous book was too academic and dry and lacked the ability to give the concepts richness and usefulness.”
“The text breaks down a complicated subject into specific digestible chunks and teaches to competencies in those chunks. I think that this text does a great job with organization. This is a book I can take in order. It is a book that makes sense.”
“Julia Wood has quite a reputation so those who know her work might be tempted to adopt the book based on that alone. I also think people will appreciate Ms. Wood's open and honest approach. Her book is approachable and engaging and provides a very solid introduction to interpersonal communication that differs from other textbooks on the same topic.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access for Wood's Interpersonal Communication: Everyday Encounters is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION: EVERYDAY ENCOUNTERS, 8e test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.