Request for consultation
INTERNATIONAL POLITICS: POWER AND PURPOSE IN GLOBAL AFFAIRS, 4th Edition, is a highly engaging introduction to the study of world politics. Author Paul D'Anieri uses the theme of Power and Purpose to examine five paradigms of international relations theory and to connect the scholarly analysis of international politics to policy problems and contemporary affairs. A cohesive pedagogical framework presents the study of international politics as a series of intellectual puzzles and policy problems and helps students make the connections between theory and policy; between history and the present; and between ideals and constraints. The author also addresses common student deficiencies in history, policy, and geography through case studies of real-world events, and emphasizes that a better understanding of international relations can often be gained by examining problems from multiple approaches.
- A significantly enhanced focus on power allows instructors to "unpack" what is meant by power, and to help students think of power more broadly than just coercion. The chapter-closing Power and Purpose… sections have been significantly revised.
- An updated section on media and foreign policy captures the shift toward new media and will help students think more actively about where their news comes from, and who shapes it.
- Discussion across multiple chapters of recent events such as the Russia-Ukraine war strengthens for students the connection between the present and past and increases engagement.
- "The Connection to You" boxes help students connect issues in international affairs to their lives.
- Each chapter begins with numbered Learning Objectives and an outline.
- A case study approach makes the material more applied for students.
- "The Historical Connection," "The Policy Connection," and "The Geography Connection" boxes all provide context for students to better understand the chapter topics and to build their ability to think critically.
- The theme of Power and Purpose is better illustrated in this edition through highlights in the Table of Contents and chapter wrap-ups titled Power and Purpose....
- Many instructors cover civil war in their international relations courses, but need to supplement their textbooks because there is not substantial coverage of civil conflict in IR books. The 4th edition offers comprehensive coverage of this issue within the conflict chapters, showing how the international community becomes involved in these conflicts and the impact of these conflicts on other states.
- Expanded coverage of migration in contexts of both human rights issues and international political economy. Other updated content includes coverage of the European Union, drone strikes, and the rise of ISIS.
Part I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Introduction: Problems and Questions in International Politics.
2. The Historical Evolution of International Politics.
Part II: THEORETICAL APPROACHES: EXPLAINING SYSTEM AND STATE BEHAVIOR.
3. Theories of International Relations: Realism and Liberalism.
4. Theories of International Relations: Economic Structuralism, Constructivism, and Feminism.
Part III: ACTORS IN THE INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM.
5. The State, Society and Foreign Policy.
6. Bureaucracies, Groups, and Individuals in the Foreign Policy Process.
7. International Organizations and Transnational Actors.
Part IV: INTERNATIONAL CONFLICT AND SECURITY.
8. International Insecurity and the Causes of War and Peace.
9. The Use of Force.
Part V: INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL ECONOMY.
10. Fundamentals of International Political Economy.
11. The Globalization of Trade and Finance.
12. The Problem of Global Inequality.
Part VI: INTERNATIONAL LAW AND POLICY.
13. International Law, Norms, and Human Rights.
14. The Global Environment and International Politics.
15. Conclusion. Power and Purpose in a Changing World.
"I have adopted the D'Anieri textbook in the past and will do so again in the future because it is one of the best, if not the best, IR textbook available in the U.S. at this time."
"The author's writing style, designs to express rather than impress, is commendable. The text is readable, and there are sufficient features (photos, diagrams, tables, critical thinking features, etc.) to break up the monotony of solid text. In short, the overall format is attractive."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site (with Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero)
This free, password-protected website for instructors features key term activities (e.g. flashcards and crossword puzzles), an instructor’s manual, and test bank in Microsoft® Word®. Access your resources by logging into your account at www.cengage.com/login
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.