Request for consultation
Intended for developmental math courses in intermediate algebra, this text retains the hallmark features that have made the Aufmann texts market leaders: an interactive approach in an objective-based framework: a clear writing style, and an emphasis on problem-solving strategies. The acclaimed Aufmann Interactive Method, allows students to try a skill as it is introduced with matched-pair examples, offering students immediate feedback, reinforcing the concept, identifying problem areas, and, overall, promoting student success.
- Prep Tests now appear at the start of each chapter. The Prep Tests will help students determine those skills in which they may already be proficient versus those skills which may need to be reviewed further before they can successfully complete the work in the upcoming chapter.
- The end of chapter Summary has been revised. The Key Words and Essential Rules and Procedures are now mapped to specific page numbers, objectives, and examples for review.
- Easily write, edit and update your syllabus with the Aufmann/Lockwood Syllabus Creator. This software program allows you to create your new syllabus in 6 easy steps: select the required course objectives, add your contact information, course information, student expectations, the grading policy, dates and location, and your course outline. And now you have your syllabus!
- Focus on Success appears at the beginning of each chapter and offers practical tips for improving study habits and performance on tests and exams.
- How It's Used boxes present scenarios from the real world that demonstrate the utility of selected concepts from the text.
- The Focus On feature alerts students to a specific type of problem they must master to succeed with the homework exercises or a test. These problems are accompanied by detailed explanations for each step of the solution.
- The definition/key concepts boxes are newly revised. They now contain examples to illustrate how each definition or key concept applies in practice.
- Try Exercise prompts are given at the end of each Example/Problem pairing and correspond with exercises in the section-ending Exercises. By following the prompts, students can immediately apply techniques presented in worked examples to homework exercises.
- Concept check exercises appear at the beginning of each section-ending exercise set. They promote conceptual understanding. Completing these exercises will help students deepen their understanding of the concepts being addressed.
- In the News exercises are application exercises found throughout most sections of the text. They are based on newsworthy data and facts and are often drawn from current events.
- Projects or Group Activities appear at the end of each set of exercises. These may be assigned to students to complete individually, or they may be assigned as group activities.
- Getting Ready exercises provide students with guided practice on the underlying principles of various objectives.
- Think About It Exercises are conceptual in nature. They ask students to think about a concept, make generalizations, and apply them to more abstract problems. The focus is on mental mathematics, not calculation or computation, and help students synthesize concepts.
- Important Points are highlighted to capture students' attention. With these signposts, students are able to recognize what is most important and helps them to study more efficiently.
Introduction to Real Numbers. Operations on Integers. Operations on Rational Numbers. Variable Expressions. Verbal Expressions and Variable Expressions.
2. FIRST-DEGREE EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Equations in One Variable. Value Mixture and Motion Problems. Applications: Problems Involving Percent. Inequalities in One Variable. Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities.
3. LINEAR FUNCTIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN TWO VARIABLES.
The Rectangular Coordinate System. Introduction to Functions. Linear Functions. Slope of a Straight Line. Finding Equations of Lines. Parallel and Perpendicular Lines. Inequalities in Two Variables.
4. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing and by the Substitution Method. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by the Addition Method. Solving Systems of Equations by Using Determinants and by Using Matrices. Application Problems. Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities.
5. POLYNOMIALS AND EXPONENTS.
Exponential Expressions. Introduction to Polynomials. Multiplication of Polynomials. Division of Polynomials. Introduction to Factoring. Factoring Trinomials. Special Factoring. Solving Equations by Factoring.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS.
Introduction to Rational Functions. Operations on Rational Expressions. Complex Fractions. Rational Equations. Proportions and Variation. Literal Equations.
7. RATIONAL EXPONENTS AND RADICALS.
Rational Exponents and Radical Expressions. Operations on Radical Expressions. Radical Functions. Solving Equations Containing Radical Expressions. Complex Numbers.
8. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring or by Taking Square Roots. Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square and by Using the Quadratic Formula. Equations That Are Reducible to Quadratic Equations. Applications of Quadratic Equations. Properties of Quadratic Functions. Applications of Quadratic Functions. Nonlinear Inequalities.
9. FUNCTIONS AND RELATIONS.
Translations of Graphs. Algebra of Functions. One-to-One and Inverse Functions.
10. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Introduction to Logarithms. Graphs of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Applications of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
11. SEQUENCES AND SERIES.
Introduction to Sequences and Series. Arithmetic Sequences and Series. Geometric Sequences and Series. Binomial Expansions.
12. CONIC SECTIONS.
The Parabola. The Circle. The Ellipse and the Hyperbola. Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations. Quadratic Inequalities and Systems of Inequalities.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Intermediate Algebra, 8th: Instructor's Solutions Manual
Complete solutions to all the problems in the text.
Intermediate Algebra, 8th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
PowerLecture instructor resources are a collection of book-specific lecture and class tools on either CD or DVD. The fastest and easiest way to build powerful, customized media-rich lectures, PowerLecture assets include chapter-specific PowerPoint presentations, images, test banks, useful web links and more. PowerLecture media-teaching tools are an effective way to enhance the educational experience.
This online instructor database offers complete worked solutions to all exercises in the text, allowing you to create customized, secure solutions printouts (in PDF format) matched exactly to the problems you assign in class. For more information, visit www.cengage.com/solutionbuilder
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
AIM for Success Practice Sheets
Additional practice problems to help your students learn the material.
The Student Workbook contains all of the assessments, activities, and worksheets from the Instructor's Resource Binder for classroom discussions, in-class activities, and group work.
CourseMate Instant Access
Complement your text and course content with study and practice materials. Cengage Learning's Developmental Mathematics CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Developmental Mathematics CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Student Solutions Manual
AIM for Success Practice Sheets
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.