Request for consultation
Offering a uniquely modern, balanced approach, Tussy/Gustafson/Koenig's INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA, Fourth Edition, integrates the best of traditional drill and practice with the best elements of the reform movement. To many developmental math students, algebra is like a foreign language. They have difficulty translating the words, their meanings, and how they apply to problem solving. Emphasizing the "language of algebra," the text's fully integrated learning process is designed to expand students' reasoning abilities and teach them how to read, write, and think mathematically. It blends instructional approaches that include vocabulary, practice, and well-defined pedagogy with an emphasis on reasoning, modeling, communication, and technology skills.
- Students gain a deeper understanding of mathematics concepts if they know why a particular approach is taken. That instructional truth was the motivation for adding a "Strategy and Why" explanation to the solution of each worked example, providing a concise answer to that all-important question, "Why?"
- The practice problems have been heavily revised to address every topic within each section and to maintain a clear progression of level. The Practice section has been divided into two categories, Guided Practice and Try It Yourself. Guided Practice takes each practice problem and keys it directly to the appropriate example in the section. Try It Yourself problems were designed to help students determine their own strategies when solving problems just as they would when they take a test.
- Each worked example now ends with a Now Try problem completing the final step in the learning process. Each one is linked to a similar problem found within the Guided Practice section of the Study Sets.
- Context-driven chapter openers include new From Campus to Careers features that highlight vocations requiring a variety of mathematics skills. The job outlook, educational requirements, and annual earnings data give students practical information to make career decisions. Problems presented in the openers are tied to exercises in the Study Sets.
- INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA, Fourth Edition, begins with a Study Skills Workshop module. This module contains one-page discussions of study skills topics followed by a Now Try This section offering students actionable skills, assignments, and projects that will impact their study habits throughout the course. In addition, Study Skills Checklists, appearing before the Chapter Summary and Review, warn students of common errors giving them time to consider these pitfalls before taking their exam. Furthermore, the revised Cumulative Reviews now cross-reference back to the section from which the problem comes - providing easy reference for students.
- The Instructor's Resource Binder is an excellent resource for seasoned instructors and those new to the course. These insightful teaching guides cover each section of the main text, providing instruction tips, examples, activities, worksheets, overheads, assessments, and solutions. The kit also integrates the authors' philosophy, helping adjuncts successfully teach with this unique approach.
- The applications have been the most well-received aspect of the text. Practical and relevant, the text's real-world emphasis is integrated throughout, including study set applications, chapter openers, and in-text examples. Real-life applications are presented from a number of disciplines, including science, business, economics, manufacturing, entertainment, history, art, music, and mathematics.
- Saving you time and improving students' results, WebAssign is the most widely used homework system in higher education - and it's integrated with the text. It allows you to assign, collect, grade, and record homework assignments via the web. It algorithmically generates variables in questions and provides question-specific student-support materials: electronic files from relevant parts of the textbook, videos of a similar exercise, active examples with worked out solutions, and robust tutorials.
- One of the hallmarks of the series, comprehensive study sets were developed with a clear progression in terms of level so that students methodically build their knowledge of the section concepts, from basic recall to more complex problem-solving. Each Study Set includes the following exercises: Vocabulary, Concepts, Notation, Guided Practice, Try It Yourself, Applications, Writing, and Review.
- The authors' proven five-step problem-solving strategy teaches students to analyze the problem, form an equation, solve the equation, state the conclusion, and check the result. This step-by-step approach clarifies the thought process and mathematical skills necessary to solve a wide variety of problems - which bolsters student confidence and sharpens problem-solving skills.
- Combining the best of traditional and reform approaches, INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA, Fourth Edition, focuses on adequate skill development while emphasizing applications and interpretation of visual data, conceptual development, and problem solving. The text utilizes creative applications, a unique learning system, and an emphasis on the language of algebra.
The Language of Algebra. The Real Numbers. Operations with Real Numbers. Simplifying Algebraic Expressions Using Properties of Real Numbers. Solving Linear Equations Using Properties of Equality. Solving Formulas; Geometry. Using Equations to Solve Problems. More About Problem Solving. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
2. GRAPHS, EQUATIONS OF LINES, AND FUNCTIONS.
The Rectangular Coordinate System. Graphing Linear Equations. Rate of Change and the Slope of a Line. Writing Equations of Lines. An Introduction to Functions. Graphs of Functions. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
3. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS.
Solving Systems by Graphing. Solving Systems Algebraically. Problems Solving Using Systems of Two Equations. Solving Systems of Equations in Three Variables. Problem Solving Using Systems of Three Equations. Solving Systems of Equations Using Matrices. Solving Systems Using Determinants. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
Solving Linear Inequalities in One Variable. Solving Compound Inequalities. Solving Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities. Linear Inequalities in Two Variables. Systems of Linear Inequalities. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
5. EXPONENTS, POLYNOMIALS, AND POLYNOMIAL FUNCTIONS.
Exponents. Scientific Notation. Polynomials and Polynomial Functions. Multiplying Polynomials. The Greatest Common Factor and Factoring by Grouping. The Difference of Two Squares; The Sum and Difference of Two Cubes. Factoring Trinomials. Summary of Factoring Techniques. Solving Equations by Factoring. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS AND EQUATIONS.
Rational Functions and Simplifying Rational Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. Simplifying Complex Fractions. Dividing Polynomials. Synthetic Division. Solving Rational Equations. Problem Solving Using Rational Equations. Proportion and Variation. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
7. RADICAL EXPRESSIONS, EQUATIONS, AND FUNCTIONS.
Radical Expressions and Radical Functions. Simplifying and Combining Radical Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Radical Expressions. Radical Equations. Rational Exponents. Geometric Applications of Radicals. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
8. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS, FUNCTIONS, AND INEQUALITIES.
Square Root Property and Completing the Square. The Quadratic Formula. Quadratic Functions and Their Graphs. The Discriminant and Equations That Can Be Written in Quadratic Form. Quadratic and Other Nonlinear Inequalities. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
9. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Algebra and Composition of Functions. Inverses of Functions. Exponential Functions. Base-e Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Base-e Logarithms. Properties of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
10. CONIC SECTIONS; MORE GRAPHING.
The Circle and Parabola. The Ellipse. The Hyperbola. Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations. Chapter Summary and Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review.
Appendix I: Roots and Powers.
Appendix II: Answers to Selected Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides, figures from the book, and Test Bank, in electronic format, are also included on this CD-ROM.
This online solutions manual allows instructors to create customizable solutions that they can print out to distribute or post as needed. This is a convenient and expedient way to deliver solutions to specific homework sets. Visit www.cengage.com/solutionbuilder.
Complete Solutions Manual
The Complete Solutions Manual provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.
Annotated Instructor's Edition
This special version of the complete student text contains all answers printed next to all respective exercises. Graphs, tables, and other answers appear in a special answer section in the back of the text.
Student Workbook Binder
The Student Workbook contains all of the Assessments, Activities, and Worksheets from the Instructor's Resource Binder for classroom discussions, in-class activities, and group work.
Developmental Mathematics CourseMate with eBook Instant Access Code
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.