Request for consultation
This popular text written from a "what human resources can do for you" perspective, demonstrates how human resources fit into the organizational big picture. Many cross-functional topics are integrated throughout the text including, marketing, finance, operations, and accounting. Updated cases include material that reinforces the key concepts presented in the text and provides an additional practical perspective to problems faced by human resource managers. The market includes all universities that teach a course in Human Resource Management. It may be used for both upper-division undergraduate and graduate level courses.
- Real-World Examples: relies heavily on actual case examples of human resource strategies and practices of organizations.
- Resourceful Summary: use of management applications summarize the key ideas presented in the chapter in the form of guidelines or admonitions for management action.
- Focus on Currency: increased emphasis on ethics, small business management, and technology.
- Updated Cases: This edition has been thoroughly updated and includes updated or entirely new cases at the beginning and end of each chapter and at the end of the book.
- "Focus on HR" boxes provide insight into the ways that companies and their human resource departments deal with international concerns, ethical concerns, and management of today's culturally diverse workforce.
- "HR Challenges" boxes offer insight into the different ways that organizations deal with the challenges presented to them on a day-to-day basis.
- "You Be the Judge" boxes highlight a dilemma and encourage readers to consider whether they would have made the same decision. Many new boxes and updated topics have been added to this edition.
Chapter 1. The Strategic Approach to Human Resource Management.
Chapter 2. Formulating a Corporate and Human Resource Strategy.
Chapter 3. The External and Global Environment for Human Resources: Change and Diversity.
Part Two: STRATEGIES FOR HUMAN RESOURCE ACQUISITION AND PLACEMENT.
Chapter 4. Human Resource Planning and Technology.
Chapter 5. Equal Employment Opportunity.
Chapter 6. Job Analysis.
Chapter 7. Recruitment, Selection, and Retention.
Part Three: STRATEGIES FOR MAXIMIZING HUMAN RESOURCE PRODUCTIVITY.
Chapter 8. Job Design.
Chapter 9. Orientation, Training, and Development.
Chapter 10. Strategies for Effective Performance Appraisal Systems.
Chapter 11. Strategic Compensation Systems.
Chapter 12. Improving Productivity.
Part Four: STRATEGIES FOR MAINTAINING HUMAN RESOURCES.
Chapter 13. Benefit Plans.
Chapter 14. Managing Health, Safety, and Stress.
Chapter 15. Ethics, Employee Rights, and Employer Responsibilities.
Chapter 16. Unions and Strategic Collective Bargaining.
Part Five: STRATEGIC SEPARATION.
Chapter 17. Strategic Restructuring and the Virtual Organization.
Part Six: CASES.
Case 1. FedEx Corporation.
Case 2. Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Case 3. McDonald's Corporation.
Case 4. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Case 5. Microsoft.
Case 6. Intel.