Request for consultation
Strengthen your students' understanding of today's important human resource issues and equip them with the skills to overcome current practical HRM challenges when you supplement your course with the latest edition of Nkomo/Fottler/McAfee's unique HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT APPLICATIONS: CASES, EXERCISES, INCIDENTS, AND SKILL BUILDERS, 7E. This one-of-a-kind, single source brings contemporary human resource management cases, focused exercises, timely incidents and proven skill builders together. You save significant preparation time, while your students gain hands-on experience critical. A new Correlation Chart in the revised Instructor's Manual corresponds with other leading Cengage Learning introductory HR texts makes this edition’s valuable cases and applications easy to integrate into your introductory HR course. An emphasis on problem solving and decision making throughout the exercises make HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT APPLICATIONS, 7E ideal for any level of study. New and updated cases and applications drawn from actual current events highlight a variety of organizations and industries, including today's growing service sector. The book reinforces topics most critical to today’s HR manager as it helps you strengthen your students' hands-on experience to better meet the challenges of HRM today.
- NEW CASES AND APPLICATIONS REFLECT INDUSTRY CHANGES AND TRENDS MOST IMPORTANT FOR TODAY’S HR STUDENTS. A wealth of new cases, exercises, incidents, and skill builders throughout this edition as well as thoroughly updated cases and applications reflect today’s most current HRM trends. Students study the most recent industry changes, changes in employment laws, and areas of specific interest, such as environmentally friendly HR policies, security breaches, work and family issues, the use of social networking in the selection process, executive compensation, and same-sex benefits.
- FULLY UPDATED INSTRUCTOR'S MANUAL HELPS YOU EFFECTIVELY INTEGRATE THE LATEST CONTENT INTO YOUR CLASSROOM. New explanations within this edition’s Instructor’s Manual distinguish the differences among each of the book edition’s new and revised applications. This useful Manual details how to most effectively implement more cases, exercises, incidents, and skill builders into your HR course.
- NEW TIME-SAVING CORRELATION GUIDE CONNECTS CONTENT TO POPULAR HR TEXTS. To save you time, this edition’s Instructor's Manual provides a new Correlation Guide that allows you to see at a glance where to incorporate items from Nkomo/Fottler/ McAfee's HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT APPLICATIONS, 7E into your course when you are using a Cengage Learning Human Resource Management text. Content directly correlates cases and applications to Mathis/Jackson’s HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, 13E; Bohlander/Snell’s MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES, 15E; Jackson/Schuler/Werner’s MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES, 15E; and DeNisi/Griffin’s
- DIVERSITY OF ORGANIZATIONS HIGHLIGHTED PROVIDES WEALTH OF SAMPLE APPLICATIONS. This edition exposes your students to a wide breadth of examples from a diversity of organizations, including those in today's growing service sector. Students gain experience in a variety of typical situations.
- TODAY'S MOST THOROUGH SELECTION OF HRM APPLICATIONS PREPARES STUDENTS FOR REAL HR CHALLENGES. This unique, all-in-one-source selection of exceptional, timely cases, exercises, incidents and skill builders provides an accurate depiction of the challenges facing employees and managers in today's work environment.
- REAL APPLICATIONS EMPHASIZE THE PRACTICALITY OF HR PRINCIPLES IN ACTION. This edition's exercises, skill builders and examples are drawn from timely actual business situations and events. Students see, first-hand, how human resource managers, line managers and others responsible for personnel use HR policies and programs. These real life applications further provide future managers with hands-on understanding of the situations and issues shaping human resource management.
- UPDATED TOPIC CORRELATION TABLE AT THE FRONT OF THE TEXT SAVES YOU VALUABLE PREPARATION TIME. You can quickly locate numerous cases, exercises, incidents or skill builders related to a specific HR topic with the convenient Correlation Table within this edition.
- VARIETY OF CASES AND APPLICATIONS SHOW HOW HR PRINCIPLES IMPACT DIVERSE ORGANIZATIONS. This edition's cases, exercises, incidents, skill builders, and team projects expose students to a myriad of organizational settings and typical business activities to provide deeper insights into today's HR practices and their consequences, no matter what the industry.
- EFFICIENT ACTIVITIES ARE IDEAL FOR TYPICAL CLASSROOM SETTING. Thorough, yet concise activities within this edition are all designed for students to complete within the typical 50-minute classroom period. Students are able to work at a comfortable pace and submit their best work, without feeling rushed.
- CONCISE COVERAGE OF INTRODUCTORY HRM TOPICS MAKES BOOK A COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE. This 7th Edition reinforces the principles in most introductory HRM texts with an overview of basic topics that make it a valuable, ongoing resource for undergraduate or graduate courses that emphasize hands-on activities and practice.
1. The HRM Function/Environment.
2. Diversity Issues.
3. The Legal and Regulatory Environment.
PART II: MEETING HUMAN RESOURCE REQUIREMENTS: JOB ANALYSIS/DESIGN, PLANNING, RECRUITMENT, AND SELECTION.
4. Job Analysis/Planning/Outsourcing/Mergers/Layoffs.
5. Recruiting and Selection.
PART III: DEVELOPING EFFECTIVENESS IN HUMAN RESOURCES: TRAINING, CAREER DEVELOPMENT, AND PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL.
6. Orientation/Training/Career Development.
7. Performance Appraisal.
PART IV: IMPLEMENTING COMPENSATION AND SECURITY: COMPENSATION, INCENTIVES, BENEFITS, AND SAFETY AND HEALTH.
10. Safety Issues.
PART V: ENHANCING EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: DISCIPLINE, MOTIVATION, AND LABOR RELATIONS.
13. Labor Relations.
PART VI: INTERNATIONAL HR AND TERM PROJECT.
14. International HR.
15. Term Project.
"I have used different editions of this book for the past 8 years. This remains the only text in the market that offers a comprehensive source of everything and anything to do with Human Resource Management cases, vignettes and skill builders. Further, what appeals to me the most is the sheer variety of choices for each topic. One can choose from a comprehensive/integrative case that challenges students to analyze information from a variety of perspectives and encourages them to generate solutions that capture an integrated approach to HRM. One has a choice of shorter cases called 'incidents" that succinctly capture a key issue or a theme. These shorter cases and incidents have been updated each time to reflect the current trends in HR – from safety and violence at work, to freedom of speech, illegal immigration and so on. Then there are several hands-on practical exercises and skill-builders that my students simply love because they get to actually get their hands dirty and engage in a particular HR activity within the safety of a classroom environment or at home. Many of my students actually keep the book after the class is over and use these skill-builders and exercises to train and/or coach their co-workers and subordinates. Because, this book does such a great job in keeping up with the current HR trends and translating them into "teachable moments" – it offers an excellent and valuable teaching tool that appeals to both instructors and students. One final comment – given that many of the cases and incidents in the book are grounded in some forms of a "real life" case, it makes the material so much more powerful and authentic to work with." - Romila Singh, PhD, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
"I consistently use the Cases, Incidents, and Skill Builders. What I like about these is that they allow the students to apply the Human Resource Management information they have learned. Completing the Cases, Incidents, and Skill Builders provides students the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge, comprehension, and application of the material. Hence, their mastery of the material." - Dr. Tina C. Elacqua, Le Tourneau University
"The text is perfect for our course given that we want to focus on all areas of HR. The text is excellent in providing students practical and real-world cases, skill builders, etc. in which they may apply and develop their knowledge. I have found these to be very much aligned to situations they may actually encounter in the workplace." - Stacy Rogers, SPHR, CPRW, Sullivan University
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Now you can efficiently integrate hands-on applications and cases into your human resource management course with the help of this useful revised Instructor's Manual. You'll find an analysis of the 7th edition's cases and incidents, solutions to the exercises and skill builders, and alternative approaches for using and presenting the materials within your course. For your convenience, the Instructor's Manual is also available for download on the text’s companion website. NEW: A new, time-saving Correlation Guide in this revised Instructor's Manual pairs this 7th Edition's cases and applications with key HRM texts from Cengage Learning, including Mathis/Jackson's HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, 13E; Bohlander/Snell's MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES, 15E; Jackson/Schuler/Werner's MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES, 15E; and DeNisi/Griffin’s HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, 3E. Instructors can see at a glance where to incorporate items from Nkomo/Fottler/McAfee into their course curriculum.