Request for consultation
Human Development & Performance Throughout the Lifespan, 2nd Edition is ideal for occupational therapy, physical therapy, and other rehabilitation disciplines. It provides a broad, occupation-based viewpoint of development and performance throughout all life stages with an emphasis on the factors that influence daily participation and optimal performance of desired daily life tasks. The authors use a life course conceptual model as an organizational foundation for clinical reasoning to help readers understand how to implement the activity- and participation-based goals and outcomes for therapy. Written by an occupational therapist and a physical therapist, the book incorporates chapters by leading experts in human development, giving users cutting-edge information and a wide range of perspectives. By integrating information from the International Classification of Function and Disability (ICF) with a developmental life-task perspective, the book gives both newcomers and experienced professionals an essential, contemporary frame of reference.
- The life-course model of human development as an organizing theme is introduced and incorporated throughout the book.
- New material on essential aspects of human participation and occupation that incorporates contemporary research has been added to every chapter.
- Includes the latest research on the impact of genomics and fetal development on growth and development.
- Greatly expanded content on adult developmental periods, including aspects of both typical and atypical development, broaden the text's coverage.
- Content has been reorganized in sections to be more compatible with the ICF frame of reference.
- Case Studies use true clinical situations to help users apply key concepts in practical ways.
- The International Classification of Function and Disability (ICF) provides a framework for the life stages discussed throughout the book.
- Unlike most existing texts, this book offers a discusson of activities and participation based on the categories identified in the ICF.
- The family unit is integrated into care and development throughout the book.
- The "Speaking Of" feature illustrates the real challenges and experiences of individuals with unique perspectives on the issues discussed in each chapter.
1. Human Performance: Function as an Organizing Framework.
2. Human Performance: The Life Course Perspective.
3. Theoretical Framework for Human Performance.
4. Culture and Life Course Development.
5. Communication Development.
6. Mental Functions and Learning across the Lifespan.
7. Environmental Contexts.
PART 2: LIFESTAGE CHARACTERISTICS.
8. Prenatal Development.
9. The Newborn.
11. Family and Disability Issues through Infancy.
12. Development in the Preschool Years.
13. Middle Childhood and School.
14. Adolescent Development.
15. Family and Disablement Issues Throughout Childhood.
16. Early Adulthood.
17. Middle Adulthood.
18. Late Adulthood.
19. Family and Disablement in Adulthood.
PART 3: SPECIAL TOPICS IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT AND PERFORMANCE.
20. Wellness, Prevention, & Health Promotion.
21. Public Policy and Health Care.
22. Assessment of Human Performance across the Lifespan.