Request for consultation
Equip your students with the essential HTML5 and CSS3 skills they need to design and develop dynamic contemporary websites with this practical, user-friendly book from the popular Illustrated Series. Vodnik’s HTML5 AND CSS3 ILLUSTRATED INTRODUCTORY, 2E covers basic concepts and must-know skills for developing web pages and websites using the latest HTML5 and CSS3 standards and best practice. Updates throughout this fully revised new edition strengthen your students’ web design abilities and include coverage of debugging using browser tools and a strong emphasis on integrated mobile design and testing. HTML5 AND CSS3 ILLUSTRATED INTRODUCTORY, 2E is designed to meet the needs of a broad range of users, providing beginners with “nuts-and-bolts” coverage and offering more experienced students the opportunity to brush up on the basics and then move to more advanced topics. Each two-page spread focuses on a single skill, making the information your students need to know easy to follow and to absorb.
- UPDATES REFLECT THE LATEST HTML5 CODING PRACTICES. Readers become proficient in writing and applying all HTML5 code as they work through the exercises in this fully revised edition.
- NEW APPROACH TO UNIT A IS DESIGNED TO GET STUDENTS CODING QUICKLY. The book also now integrates popular developer tools, including wireframing, and emphasizes contemporary debugging best practice.
- THOROUGH COVERAGE INTEGRATES MOBILE DESIGN AND TESTING. Helpful screen shots highlighting mobile output throughout the book prepare learners to address an aspect of web development technology that is growing at an astronomical pace.
- COVERAGE HIGHLIGHTS HOW TO DEBUG CODE USING BROWSER TOOLS. Students learn to maximize resources and use the most efficient tools available to build error-free sites.
- VISUAL DESIGN TIPS PRESENTED THROUGHOUT THIS EDITION GUIDE LEARNERS IN CREATING WELL-DESIGNED WEBSITES. Tips focus on key design principles and teach students best practice in building attractive websites that are simple to navigate.
- CLEAR, IMPROVED BOOK DESIGN ENHANCES STUDENT LEARNING EXPERIENCE. Larger screenshots highlight important code that students enter to ensure comprehension and clarification.
- LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR EACH TWO-PAGE LESSON GUIDE STUDY AND REVIEW. Learning outcomes for each lesson clearly define the information the student is accountable to learn. All learning outcomes are mapped to end-of-unit assignments and the Cognero® test bank questions.
- ALL CODE TESTED ON MULTIPLE BROWSERS. All code used in this edition has been tested on several widely used browsers to ensure that all steps can be completed using a Windows® or Mac computer.
- PROVEN ILLUSTRATED SERIES TWO-PAGE SPREAD LESSONS APPEAL TO A VARIETY OF LEARNING STYLES. All concepts are clearly presented within a visually driven two-page spread that ensures material is easy to follow and easy to absorb.
- SPECIAL INDEPENDENT CHALLENGE AND VISUAL WORKSHOP FEATURES EMPHASIZE THE RELEVANCE OF KEY CONCEPTS. These dynamic end-of-chapter practice opportunities, hands-on applications, and detailed explanations encourage important practice while making concepts easier to understand.
- QUICK TIPS AND TROUBLE BOXES PROVIDE VALUABLE PROFESSIONAL INSIGHT. Tips and cautions within this edition’s step-by-step instructions help students avoid typical errors and pitfalls.
- DISTINCT COVERAGE ADDRESSES BASIC CONCEPTS AND SKILLS FOR DEVELOPING WEB PAGES AND WEBSITES USING HTML5 AND CSS3. Students learn how to write and edit code effectively using a basic text editor and browser.
- FOCUS PREPARES LEARNERS TO BUILD PROFESSIONAL WEBSITES. Student projects include professionally designed layouts and web-ready text, encouraging students to focus on refining the skills needed to combine these elements as they learn to create exceptional web pages and websites.
Define a Project Plan. Create Wireframes and a Storyboard. Create an HTML Document. Set Up the Document Head and Body. Add Text to a Web Page. Add a Comment to a Web Document. Preview Your Web Page on a Desktop Computer. Configure Web Server Software. Preview Your Web Page on Mobile Devices.
Unit B: STRUCTURING CONTENT IN A WEB DOCUMENT.
Evaluate Web Accessibility Standards. Incorporate Attributes. Implement the div Element. Add HTML5 Semantic Elements. Use Special Characters. Specify the Viewpoint. Debug Your HTML Code. Validate Your HTML Code. Create an XHTML Document.
Unit C: GETTING STARTED WITH CSS.
Assess Style Rules. Create an Embedded Style Sheet. Implement an ID Selector. Implement a Class Selector. Use Multiple Selectors. Create an External Style Sheet. Link to an External Style Sheet. Add a Comment to a Style Sheet. Debug and Validate CSS Code. .
Unit D: LAYING OUT ELEMENTS WITH CSS
Assess the CSS Box Model. Set Element Width and Borders. Set Margins and Padding. Align Elements with float. Controlpage flow with clear. Implement Fixed Positioning. Implement Relative Positioning. Control Stacking Order. Implement Absolute Positioning
Unit E: FORMATTING TEXT WITH CSS.. Assess Web Fonts. Declare a Font Family. Use a Custom Font. Declare Font Size and Line Height. Implement Bold and Italics. Style Pseudo-Elements. Specify Hex and RGB Colors Colors. Add Shadows. Create a Media Query.
Unit F: INSERTING AND WORKING WITH LINKS.
Understand Links. Create Relative Links. Create Absolute Links. Change CSS Display Type. Style Links with Pseudo-Classes. Style Multiple Link States. Open Links in New Tabs. Create a Link within a Document. Add Navigational Accessibility.
Unit G: INSERTING AND WORKING WITH IMAGES.
Evaluate Image File Types. Insert Images. Insert a Background Image. Mark Images as Figures. Create a Figure Caption. Use Images as Links. Create an Image Map. Define Additional Hotspots. Insert a Favicon and Touch Icons.
Unit H: ORGANIZING CONTENT WITH LISTS AND TABLES.
Create an Ordered List. Create an Unordered List. Create a Description List. Create a Navigation Bar Using a List. Insert a Table. Debug Tables. Span Columns and Rows. Format a Table with CSS. Apply a Table-Like Structure to Other Elements.
Appendix A: HTML ELEMENTS.
Appendix B: CSS PROPERTIES.
Appendix C: UPLOADING FILES TO A WEB SERVER.
Practicing Good File Management. Configuring Your FTP Client. Uploading Web Site Files.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find all of the time-saving resources you need to support your course at your fingertips with this helpful, password-protected Instructor Companion Site. Download support materials as you need them.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.