Request for consultation
Teach current and future professionals the business communication skills they need for success with HOW 14: A HANDBOOK FOR OFFICE PROFESSIONALS. Since 1975, HOW and its subsequent editions have been recognized as the leading reference source for business writers, office personnel, and students. Each new edition addresses the most recent changes in today’s language and the latest developments in the business environment. This easy-to-understand reference manual is invaluable for any professional in organizational operations. HOW 14 offers detailed and precise direction for writing, formatting, and transmitting effective communications as well as effectively utilizing social media. Unlike other reference books, HOW 14 is specifically designed to serve as a convenient resource and learning guide for writing style, grammar, mechanics, and modern technologies in today’s business or office environment. This book is ideal as a stand-alone reference or as a supplement in your course.
- HOW 14 COMPREHENSIVE REFERENCE MANUAL REFLECTS THE LATEST LANGUAGE, BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY CHANGES. Your students can use this edition with the confidence that it addresses all of the latest updates on language principles, document formats, Internet resources, and technological advances.
- UPDATED SPELLING REFERENCES ENSURE CORRECT USE AND SPELLING. All spelling throughout HOW 14 is updated to correspond with the latest the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary.
- THOROUGHLY UPDATED EXAMPLES REFLECT THE MOST RECENT CHANGES IN BUSINESS. Timely, memorable examples throughout this edition depict concepts and office skills in action for today’s readers.
- UPDATED RESOURCE MATERIALS PROVIDE CONVENIENT SUPPORT. You will find a wealth of helpful resources and time-saving tools available and password-protected through this edition’s Instructor Resource Center.
- ACCOMPANYING WORKBOOK PROVIDES EXERCISES TO REINFORCE KEY PRINCIPLES. Now expanded, this helpful workbook offers realistic learning applications that coordinate to various chapters in HOW 14. Limited solutions for the exercises appear at the end of the workbook for students to check their work. Complete solutions appear in the Instructor’s Manual.
- WEALTH OF EXAMPLES ILLUSTRATE EFFECTIVE BUSINESS COMMUNICATION. Students find a helpful descriptions and examples of business letters, memorandums, reports, meeting minutes, agendas, news releases, and itinerary formats. Additional examples of listings, charts, footnotes, tables, and other content guides' students in creating strong business documents.
- HOW 14 DESCRIBES THE LATEST INTERNET ACCESS OPTIONS. This edition presents timely information on e-mail, search sites and procedures. Readers learn how to evaluate Web sites and locate valuable resources on the Web. This edition also presents up-to-date URLs of career centers on the Web. Readers will find expanded, contemporary discussions of Web 2.0 technologies, including blogs, social networking, and cloud computing. You can ensure your students are well-versed on the continual advancements (or declines) in the latest modes of communication.
- HELPFUL INFORMATION AND INSIGHTS ASSIST READERS IN PREPARING TOOLS AND DOCUMENTS FOR THE JOB SEARCH. Readers find key information and guidelines for creating traditional résumés, scannable résumés, online (ASCII) résumés, application letters, reference-request letters, and follow-up letters. Students acquire the skills to develop all necessary documents for the job-seeking process.
- HOW 14 DESIGN RETAINS THE POPULAR RED-AND-BLACK TEXT FORMAT. The back cover lists all chapter content while helpful side tabs lead users to the appropriate chapter. The Solution Finder at the beginning of each chapter helps the reader quickly and easily locate main topics in each chapter and swiftly find answers for which they are searching. These features and the book’s comprehensive index make HOW 14 the easiest-to-use reference book on the market.
4. Number Formats.
5. Hyphenating and Dividing Words.
6. Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols.
7. Words Often Confused and Misused.
8. Elements of Writing Style.
9. Spelling, Proofreading, and Editing.
10. Address Format and Forms of Address.
11. E-Mail Messages, Business Letters, and Memorandums.
12. Reports and Other Business Documents.
13. Employment Application Documents.
14. The Internet and Its Resources.
15. Manual and Electronic File Management.
Glossary of Terms Used in HOW 14.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.