Request for consultation
HIPAA FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2nd Edition, clearly explains the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act with concepts and applications for health care professionals. Adding context to the readings with detailed examples, real-life scenarios, and thought-provoking questions and discussions, the text walks readers through key areas of Titles I and II, including fundamentals, privacy, and security. Updates also show readers where and how HIPAA impacts health care through other laws, and dispels common HIPAA myths that can wreak havoc in the workplace. Designed for the modern student, HIPAA FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2nd Edition, now offers a digital MindTap® course to help busy students interact with material and as they read and learn in the classroom, at home, or on the go.
- All-New Chapter: Added for the second edition, this in-depth chapter discusses new legislation and the ways it affects the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- More Discussion: New sections throughout the chapters generate lively discussions with peers and challenge readers to consider the issues with greater depth, while suggested responses and guidelines in the Instructor’s Manual make planning easier for you.
- MindTap® Digital Learning: MindTap® helps readers interact with the material to better understand concepts, test comprehension, and earn higher grades in your course.
- Improved Testing: Newly expanded with the latest HIPAA updates, test banks include a variety of test questions and formats, along with complete answers in the Instructor’s Manual.
- Video Features: Designed to stimulate today’s tech-savvy learners, the MindTap® programmed learning process includes video content to supplement readings and deliver a more engaging course.
- Convenient Online Platform: The second edition’s fully redesigned course structure allows students the unmatched convenience of a digital platform, which is available around the clock and anywhere students want to learn.
- Varied Approaches: Packed with interactive options, HIPAA FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2nd Edition is designed to reach all types of students, including those with visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning styles.
- Workplace Scenarios: True Stories and Scenarios illustrate health care jobs and responsibilities while emphasizing the critical importance of HIPAA compliance to patients, caregivers, administrators, and health care organizations.
- Concept Reviews: End-of-chapter questions give readers a handy resource to check their understanding of the material, fill in any gaps, and thoroughly prepare for exams.
- Expanded HIPAA: An entire new chapter addresses how additional legislation is extending HIPAA’s reach through updates to the rule and other related laws.
- Useful References: A glossary of terms and an appendix filled with practical forms and job-related materials put answers within easy reach, making HIPAA FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2nd Edition, a go-to resource for busy, health care professionals.
- Flexible Formats: Offering a variety of approaches, MindTap® lets you tailor your course to meet student needs with coordinating animations and PowerPoint® slides, as well as self-quizzing features in the readings such as flashcards and questions with immediate feedback.
- Career Focused: Reader-friendly and practical, HIPAA FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, 2nd Edition, lays out all of the key issues and asks students to consider how HIPAA can impact their day to day work in health care.
- Self-Reflection Exercises: “Think About It” features in the readings put students in the center of the action to help them imagine how they would personally and professionally address the issues.
2. Privacy Issues Explained.
3. Transactions and Code Sets.
4. Security Ruling Explained.
5. Unique Health Identifiers and HIPAA Myths.
6. Further Rulings Influencing HIPAA.
“The Table of Contents is well organized and clearly presents the concepts for each chapter. The material is organized in a logical flow that builds to the final chapter where the HIPAA myths are demystified. Chapter 5: I love this chapter! The author summarizes the contents of the book into a clear, concise and reasonable methodology that debunks the HIPAA myths and misconceptions that we often encourage with our lack of knowledge. Chapter 4: The security rule chapter explains the nuts and bolts of the administrative, physical, and technical safeguards required for enforcement of the security rule for HIPAA. Chapter 3: This is the best material on transactions and code sets I've seen. Often this topic is written in a technical language that students and readers struggle with. The author takes the "technicality" out of a very technical area.”
“Chapter 4: A good crash course on the HIPAA Security Rule. Objectives and terms were well thought out and chapter content is sufficient and appropriate. The inclusion of the safegaurds, risk analysis, and risk management, various access controls, security incidents and contingency plans are key elements for students when studying the security rule. The text provides an In-depth discussion of the HIPAA Privacy Rule, Security Rule, and Transactions Rule. The authors focus on how HIPAA is applied to the professionals within the health care industry. The authors’ unique writing styles are beneficial to the student learning process.”
“Features are good - the true stories, the review questions, objectives, terms, Think About It, the summary - all good and helps student learn.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as coordinated PowerPoint® presentations, video clips, a test bank, an instructor’s manual, and more.