Request for consultation
Equip both traditional students and practicing IT professionals with the strong background in virtualization technology they need to advance in today's rapidly changing IT workplace. HANDS-ON VIRTUAL COMPUTING, 2E overviews the latest virtualization technology with chapters dedicated to Oracle VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, Microsoft Hyper-V, and VMware vSphere. Additional chapters focus on virtualization in software-defined data centers and address building virtual networks, implementing high-availability clusters, enhancing performance and security, and managing the virtual data center. Students learn to implement virtual desktop infrastructures using both VMware Horizon and Microsoft VDI and are exposed to cloud computing environments with VMware vCloud and Microsoft Azure. The book highlights real scenarios with hands-on activities that help students build the skills needed in a computer industry that is increasingly focused on virtualization.
- RE-WRITTEN CONTENT ADDRESSES TODAY’S LATEST DESKTOP VIRTUALIZATION PRODUCTS. Dedicated chapters provide up-to-date coverage of the most current and influential desktop virtualization products, including Oracle VirtualBox, VMware Workstation 12, and Hyper-V. Hands-on activities utilize free downloadable or trial versions of the products.
- NEW CHAPTERS NOW ADDRESS DATA CENTER VIRTUALIZATION EXCLUSIVELY. This edition prepares readers to understand and apply their skills within the software-defined data centers that are reshaping today’s IT infrastructure. Dedicated chapters address vSphere and Hyper-V.
- UPDATES KEEP CONTENT AS CURRENT AS POSSIBLE. New and fresh material addresses the latest Windows 2016 server, Hyper-V, and vSphere 6 software versions. Students learn how to take full advantage of resources, such as cloud based services and the information available from VMware and Microsoft Web sites.
- NEW CHAPTERS FOCUS ON IMPLEMENTING VIRTUAL DESKTOP INFRASTRUCTURE AND CLOUD COMPUTING SERVICES. New Chapter 9 discusses basic virtual desktop infrastructures using VMware Horizon and MS VDI products. A new Chapter 10 addresses using cloud computer with VMware vCloud and MS Azure to enhance IT services that uses either hybrid or private clouds.
- NEW MINDTAP® DIGITAL LEARNING SOLUTION HELPS YOU ENGAGE AND TRANSFORM STUDENTS INTO CRITICAL THINKERS. This new technology allows your students to learn online using a variety of devices. You can personalize assignments or applications and access real-time course analytics. A MindTap® interactive reader helps you further transform cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
- MINDTAP® ONLINE DIGITAL LEARNING SOLUTIONS PROVIDES ONLINE LAB ACTIVITIES. With MindTap®’s adaptability you can allow your students to perform online lab activities and practice their skills from a variety of devices.
- COVERAGE CONSISTENTLY INTRODUCES THE LATEST VIRTUALIZATION SOFTWARE PRODUCTS FROM ORACLE, VMWARE AND MICROSOFT. Students work with the most recent developments in IT virtualization as they become familiar with Oracle VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware vSphere, VMware, Horizon, Microsoft VDI, and VMware vCloud and Microsoft Azure.
- EXTENSIVE HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES ENABLE READERS TO PRACTICE CONCEPTS. Students are able to practice the virtualization concepts they have just learned within a real-world context. All of this edition’s helpful hands-on activities can be completed with free software downloaded from Oracle, Microsoft and VMware.
- COVERAGE INTRODUCES BOTH VMWARE AND MICROSOFT VIRTUALIZATION PRODUCTS FOR MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITY. This comprehensive coverage allows you to use this book whether your course focuses on vSphere or Hyper-V. This content is also helpful fora general course on virtualization that provides a product comparison.
- PRESENTATION IS IDEAL FOR THE TRADITION CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT OR AS A SELF-LEARNING BOOK. Your students can complete exercises and activities using any computer hardware and software that supports MS Windows 10 and later.
2. Working with Oracle Virtual Box.
3. Working with VMware Workstation.
4. Data Center Virtualization and Cloud computing.
5. Installing and Working with Microsoft Hyper-V.
6. Working with Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine Manager.
7. Working with VMware vSphere.
8. Working with VMware vCenter Server.
9. Implementing VMware and Microsoft Virtual Desktop Infrastructures.
10. Using Virtual Computing in a Cloud Environment.
Appendix A: The Technology Behind Virtualization.
Appendix B: Using VMware Player and VMware Fusion.
Appendix C: Introduction to Oracle VM Server for x86 Virtualization.
“I really like the explanations given in the text [Hands-On Virtual Computing, 2e]. Sometimes it’s hard for students to wrap their heads around a concept, but by giving a ‘real-world’ explanation, they can understand why or what they are learning about.”
“The subject of cloud computing and virtualization is a very important topic as cloud technologies mature and become more widely adapted by government, business, academia, and individuals. I commend the authors for including this chapter [on cloud computing] in the new text.”
“…the technical information is much more advanced than the previous edition of the textbook…the readability is good and it is well organized. The strengths of the text [Hands-On Virtual Computing, 2e] are the hands-on activities and the case projects.”