Request for consultation
GUIDE TO NETWORK DEFENSE AND COUNTERMEASURES provides a thorough guide to perimeter defense fundamentals, including intrusion detection and firewalls. This trusted text also covers more advanced topics such as security policies, network address translation (NAT), packet filtering and analysis, proxy servers, virtual private networks (VPN), and network traffic signatures. Thoroughly updated, the new third edition reflects the latest technology, trends, and techniques including virtualization, VMware, IPv6, and ICMPv6 structure, making it easier for current and aspiring professionals to stay on the cutting edge and one step ahead of potential security threats. A clear writing style and numerous screenshots and illustrations make even complex technical material easier to understand, while tips, activities, and projects throughout the text allow students to hone their skills by applying what they learn. Perfect for students and professionals alike in this high-demand, fast-growing field, GUIDE TO NETWORK DEFENSE AND COUNTERMEASURES, Third Edition, is a must-have resource for success as a network security professional.
- Updated to reflect the latest technology, trends, and techniques students need to know and master to succeed as network security professionals.
- New material includes expanded and updated coverage of key developments and practices in the industry, including information on virtualization, VMware, IPv6, ICMPv6 structure, and packet analysis.
- Includes extensive, up-to-date coverage of essential topics such as routing and routing security, wireless networking and security, cryptography, and Internet and Web security.
- Lab activities have been updated throughout the text to reflect current techniques and best practices, including new material on Microsoft Threat Management Gateway.
- Includes hands-on activities in every chapter to help students apply what they learn and develop practical skills.
- A running case project is featured in each chapter to help students apply their skills over time to create an increasingly robust and effective network defense strategy.
- Extensive learning tools, including review questions, hands-on projects, and case projects, help students assess and enhance their learning as they progress through the text and review material to prepare for certification and professional activities.
3. Network Traffic Signatures.
4. Routing Fundamentals.
6. Wireless Networking Fundamentals.
7. Understanding Wireless Network Security.
8. Intrusion Detection and Prevention System Concepts.
9. Firewall Concepts.
10. Firewall Design and Management.
11. VPN Concepts.
12. Internet and Web Security.
13. Security Policy Design and Implementation.
14. Ongoing Security Management.
Appendix A: Security Resources.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resources include the following materials: Electronic Instructor's Manual—The Instructor's Manual that accompanies this book includes additional material to assist in class preparation, including suggestions for classroom activities, discussion topics, and additional activities. Solutions—The instructor resources include solutions to all end-of-chapter material, including review questions and case projects.PowerPoint presentations—This book comes with Microsoft PowerPoint slides for each chapter. They're included as a teaching aid for classroom presentation, to make available to students on the network for chapter review, or to be printed for classroom distribution. Instructors, please feel free to add your own slides for additional topics you introduce to the class.Figure files—All figures and tables in the book are reproduced on the Instructor Resources CD in bitmap format. Similar to the PowerPoint presentations, they're included as a teaching aid for classroom presentation, to make available to students for review, or to be printed for classroom distribution. ExamView®—ExamView®, the ultimate tool for objective-based testing needs, is a powerful test generator that enables instructors to create paper, LAN, or Web-based tests from test banks designed specifically for their Cengage Course Technology text. Instructors can utilize the ultra-efficient QuickTest Wizard to create tests in less than five minutes by taking advantage of Cengage Course Technology's questions banks, or customize their own exams from scratch.