Request for consultation
GLOBAL SOCIETY: THE WORLD SINCE 1900 is a globally-oriented narrative in its chronology, geographical integration, and thematic priorities. By focusing on the themes of technology and environment, the Third Edition keeps itself grounded in the material forces affecting global life and includes dynamic pedagogical tools such as maps, tech boxes, and illustrations.
- Expanded coverage of Southeast Asia and global financial issues including global debt.
- Updated coverage from global events through 2011.
- An increase in the amount of maps throughout the text and tighter integration of the technology boxes.
- New themes connect the 20th century with the 21st--including globalization, the environmental impacts of political and economic changes, and Islam and the Middle East.
- "Global Technologies" boxes appears in every chapter and explains the development of specific technologies and their effect on history. New topics include horseless carriages, tanks, radio, motion pictures, titanium, and genetic engineering.
1. The World in 1900.
2. Imperialism Encompasses the Pacific, 1900–1914.
3. Great War, Little Peace, 1914–1919.
PART II: STRUGGLES FOR SUPREMACY, 1919–1945.
4. Internationalism, Empire, and Autarchy, 1919–1929.
5. Knowing and Doing: Science and Technology, 1919–1939.
6. The Economic Consequences of War and Peace, 1919–1938.
7. The Murderous Politics of the 1930s.
8. From Regional Wars to Global Conflict, 1936–1946.
PART III: RISE AND FALL OF THE BIPOLAR ORDER, 1946–1981.
9. From the United Nations to a Bipolar World, 1945–1953.
10. Two Poles and Perpetual Crisis, 1950–1964.
11. Border Crossings, 1946–1975.
12. The Many Dialects of Rebellion, 1960–1975.
13. Détente to Disarray: The Breakdown of the Bipolar World, 1969–1981.
PART IV: EMERGENCE OF NEW GLOBAL SYSTEMS FROM 1981.
14. Reconfigurations of Power, 1981–1991.
15. Global Society in the New Millennium.
"Generally the chapters in Global Society are superior, because they do a better job of integrating the social and political history."
"The work is very well done and especially so for those who wish to impart to their students a sense of how a knowledge of the past helps bring about a stronger understanding of the present. It is far and away better than its competitors."
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.