Request for consultation
GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES: A CONCISE GLOBAL HISTORY, 4th Edition has been written from the ground up to create a one-semester, student-friendly introduction to art history while retaining the impeccable reliability and scholarship of GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES. This beautifully illustrated fourth edition has been updated to make it easier than ever for your students to master the material. Gardner's has built its stellar reputation on the inclusion of the most significant images and monuments; discussions of these images in their full historical and cultural contexts; reproductions of unsurpassed quality; scholarship that is up-to-date and deep; the consistent voice of a single storyteller; reliability; and more online resources for students and instructors than any other art survey text.
- This new edition includes coverage of Oceanic art and additional pedagogical features such as "Problems and Solutions" and "The Patron's Voice" text boxes.
- Architectural videos, now available in MindTap, provide virtual tours of significant monuments and sites; revised and updated maps; new architectural drawings and three-dimensional reconstructions of the Palace at Knossos and the Palatine Chapel at Aachen; and location coordinates for the sites and works discussed in the text.
- Author and master teacher Fred Kleiner created this text to engage introductory students. This book offers thorough coverage and superb scholarship that students can read easily and understand on their own.
- Seven box types provide contextual information to supplement the primary text, including "Artists on Art," "Materials and Techniques," "Religion and Mythology," "Art and Society," "Architectural Basics," "Written Sources," "Problems and Solutions," and "The Patron's Voice."
- Additional key pedagogical features include extended captions for each work, chapter timelines and maps, and "The Big Picture" chapter summary.
1. Prehistory and the First Civilizations.
2. Ancient Greece.
3. The Roman Empire.
4. Early Christianity and Byzantium.
5. The Islamic World.
6. Early Medieval and Romanesque Europe.
7. Gothic and Late Medieval Europe.
8. The Early Renaissance in Europe.
9. High Renaissance and Mannerism in Europe.
10. Baroque Europe.
11. Rococo to Neoclassicism in Europe and America.
12. Romanticism, Realism, and Photography, 1800 to 1870.
13. Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, and Symbolism, 1870 to 1900.
14. Modernism in Europe and America, 1900 to 1945.
15. Modernism and Postmodernism in Europe and America, 1945 to 1980.
16. Contemporary Art Worldwide.
17. South and Southeast Asia.
18. China and Korea.
20. Native Americas and Oceania.
"Gardner's texts have always allowed the students a more intellectual look at the contexts surrounding the art and the time period. These texts allow for a condensed approach, without the 'dumbing down' that is found in other art history texts."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Digital Image Library
Instructor's Web Site (with PowerPoint®, Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero, Intructor's Resource Manual)
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.