Request for consultation
FUNDAMENTALS OF MODERN DRAFTING, Second Edition, provides a thorough introduction to contemporary drafting, covering essential technical and engineering drawing concepts and key professional applications. The author uses a highly practical, building-block approach to help students quickly develop the knowledge and skills they need to prepare working drawings for production. Coverage encompasses freehand sketching, instrument drawing, CAD, drafting conventions and formats, multiview, development, pictorial drawing procedures, geometric tolerancing practices, descriptive geometry, and more. Every chapter includes vibrant illustrations to complement the text, as well as hands-on exercises that encourage students to apply what they're learning. Now updated to reflect the latest trends and technology, the new Second Edition reflects current ASME standards to help students make a smooth transition from classroom study to professional success.
- Rather than a printed workbook, the text is now supported by a robust online CourseMate featuring lecture slides for each chapter, interactive quizzes, a digital ebook, additional CAD exercises, and other resources to facilitate teaching and learning. Illustrations from the text are also included.
- The Second Edition has been updated to reflect the latest trends and technology, giving students an up-to-date understanding of the essential tools and practices they are likely to encounter when entering this dynamic field.
- Updated material throughout the text reflects the latest ASME standards, enabling students to learn and apply the same guidelines used by today's industry professionals.
- A new chapter on green design and expanded information in the chapter on architecture provide a stronger emphasis on these important topics for today's drafting professionals.
- Chapter five, Drafting Room Design Teams, will take a small team of students through the creative steps for problem solving and design steps for a new product. Industrial and architectural design exercises are provided in the chapter's exercises for a design team.
- The text employs a highly practical, building-block approach that allows students to rapidly gain knowledge and develop skill while learning the fundamentals of freehand sketching, instrument drawing, CAD, multiview, development, pictorial drawing procedures, geometric tolerancing practices, descriptive geometry, and more.
- Each chapter includes numerous features to enhance learning, including introductory learning objectives, highlighting of key terms, and concluding questions and exercises to help students review and apply what they have learned.
- More than 1,000 procedural illustrations throughout the text provide step-by-step guidance to help students master key drafting, design, and layout concepts and develop skill in reading 2D and 3D working drawings.
- Several dedicated chapters explore specialty drafting areas—including welding, process piping, electronics, tool design, and architecture—to give students exposure to a wide variety of potential career directions.
- A chapter devoted to computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) covers key principles, techniques, and tools, equipping students to make a successful transition from manual drafting to CAD work.
1. Introduction to Contemporary Drafting.
2. Drafting Equipment and Supplies.
3. Sketching and Lettering.
4. Introduction to Computer-Aided Drafting Systems.
5. Drafting Room Design Teams.
6. Drafting Conventions and Formats.
7. Geometric Construction.
8. Multiview Drawings.
9. Dimensioning Conventions and Surface Finishes.
10. Tolerancing and Geometric Tolerancing.
11. Sectional Views.
12. Auxiliary Views and Revolutions.
13. Descriptive Geometry.
14. Development Drawings.
15. Pictorial Drawings.
17. Green Design in Industry.
18. Working Drawings.
19. Welding Drawings.
20. Gears and Cams.
21. Piping Drawings.
22. Electronics Drafting.
23. Tool Design Drafting.
24. Architectural Drafting.
Appendix A: Tables.
Appendix B: Abbreviations.