Request for consultation
FUNCTIONS AND CHANGE: A MODELING APPROACH TO COLLEGE ALGEBRA, Sixth Edition, is ideal for both non-traditional and terminal students taking college algebra, as well as those who may continue onto calculus. Graphing utilities, functions, modeling, real data, applications and projects develop students’ skills and give them the practice they need to not only master basic mathematics but apply it in future courses and careers. With a new, separate section on quadratic functions, additional emphasis on business applications, and new skill-building exercises and Excel activities, the sixth edition reinforces the authors' focus on connecting math in the real world, promotes mastery of the material, and fosters critical thinking.
- A new, separate section on quadratic functions provides additional exercises and a more complete treatment of this common type of function.
- By popular request, an increased emphasis on business applications is sprinkled throughout the text and is included in new exercises.
- Additional Skill Building Exercises help prepare students for the regular exercise sets.
- Several new activities are available for those who are using the text with Microsoft Excel.
- A new “A Further Look” feature examines both appropriate and inappropriate interpretations of r-values.
- The treatment of rational functions has been updated and strengthened with the addition of interesting new examples and exercises.
- The Solving Inequalities section in Chapter 2 expands upon the fundamental ideas of solving equations by the method of crossing graphs. This avoids common errors and is applicable to inequalities to which techniques of algebra do not apply.
- The Constant Percentage Change section in Chapter 4 allows for additional discussion and for students to master its importance in applications of exponential functions.
- Trimmed Algebraic Look sections are either grouped together at the end of chapters or placed in the appendix, giving instructors the flexibility to decide which of these materials they wish to use.
- Reorganized Skill exercises are now located at the end of the major exercises to emphasize the importance of the major exercises and the many applications they contain.
- The "Rule of Four"—graphically, numerically, symbolically, and verbally—introduces functions. Thus, students grasp the connection between answer types and thus develop a better understanding of the concept addressed.
- Diverse Modeling/Real-Life Applications and Data reveal mathematics as an integral part of nature, science, and society. This real-world context allows students to check their answers against their own intuition and common sense while also making the topic more relevant and interesting.
- Chapter Review Exercises help students build their skills to remember key concepts from the chapter.
- An informal approach offers clear explanations that leave out unnecessary technicalities so that students who are not comfortable with algebra will easily understand the concepts.
- WEBASSIGN: FUNCTIONS AND CHANGE: A MODELING APPROACH TO COLLEGE ALGEBRA, Sixth Edition, is fully supported by WebAssign, the powerful online homework and course management system that engages students in learning the math. WebAssign includes new end-of-chapter exercises and pre-built assignments vetted by trusted subject matter experts along with robust course, section, assignment, and question settings and online testing to help instructors foster a deeper understanding of course concepts.
- Integrated graphing calculator technology helps students understand abstract concepts as a descriptive and problem-solving tool.
- Test Your Understanding feature follows examples in the text and challenges students to solve similar problems. Answers are provided to reinforce correct work.
Summary. Chapter Review Exercises.
Functions Given by Formulas. Functions Given by Tables. Functions Given by Graphs. Functions Given by Words. Summary. Chapter Review Exercises. A Further Look: Average Rates of Change with Formulas. A Further Look: Areas Associated with Graphs.
A Further Look: Definition of a Function.
2. GRAPHICAL AND TABULAR ANALYSIS.
Table and Trends. Graphs. Solving Linear Equations. Solving Nonlinear Equations. Inequalities. Optimization. Summary. Chapter Review Exercises. A Further Look: Limits. A Further Look: Shifting and Stretching. A Further Look: Optimizing with Parabolas.
3. STRAIGHT LINES AND LINEAR FUNCTIONS.
The Geometry of Lines. Linear Functions. Modeling Data with Linear Functions. Linear Regression. Systems of Equations. Summary. Chapter Review Exercises. A Further Look: The Correlation Coefficient. A Further Look: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines. A Further Look: Secant Lines.
4. EXPONENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Growth and Decay. Constant Percentage Change. Modeling Exponential Data. Modeling Nearly Exponential Data. Logarithmic Functions. Summary. Chapter Review Exercises. A Further Look: Solving Exponential Equations.
5. A SURVEY OF OTHER COMMON FUNCTIONS.
Logistic Functions. Power Functions. Modeling Data with Power Functions. Combining and Decomposing Functions. Quadratic Functions. Higher-Degree Polynomials and Rational Functions. Summary. Chapter Review Exercises. A Further Look: Fitting Logistic Data using Rates of Change. A Further Look: Factoring Polynomials, Behavior at Infinity.
6. RATES OF CHANGE.
Velocity. Rates of Change for Other Functions. Estimating Rates of Change. Equations of Change: Linear and Exponential Functions. Equations of Change: Graphical Solutions. Summary. Chapter Review Exercises.
Order of Operations. Geometric Constructions. Inverse Function. Solving Equations by Factoring. Equations of Lines. Elementary Properties of Exponents. Quadratic Functions and Complex Numbers.
Arithmetic Operations. Tables and Graphs. Discrete Data.
Arithmetic Operations. Tables and Graphs. Discrete Data
BRIEF ANSWERS TO SELECTED EXERCISES.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
These conceptual projects are provided on Excel spreadsheets with built-in formulas that provide understanding of real-life, applied problems. Almost every section in the book has a corresponding project, and they are great for in-class use. These are accessible via the instructor companion site.
Complete Solutions Manual
Contains all worked-out solutions to the exercises and chapter tests. This is accessible via the instructor companion site.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Online Instructor's Manual contains valuable teaching tools for both new and experienced instructors. Written by the authors, the Instructor’s Guide includes teaching tips for each section of the text as well as sample syllabi that reflect the authors’ experience using the text. The guide is accessible via the instructor companion site.
Online Test Bank
Provides multiple test forms per chapter as well as final exams. The tests combine multiple-choice, free-response, and fill-in-the-blank questions for your convenience. The Test Bank is accessible via the instructor companion site.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
This instant access code provides you with access to Cengage Learning Testing (CLT). CLT is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Student Solutions Manual
Written by the authors, the Student Solutions Manual contains complete and carefully written solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in the text, in the same style and format as the worked examples of the text. In particular, the solutions give additional instruction to allow students to find success doing similar even-numbered exercises.
Student Solutions Manual
The Student Solutions Manual contains complete and carefully written solutions to every odd-numbered exercise in the text, in the same style and format as the worked examples of the text. In particular, the solutions give additional instruction to help ensure your success when doing similar even-numbered exercises.